Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 18:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/124.8/125 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default How will you or did you, decide your final weight?

I picked 130 as goal and realized I wasn't quite where I wanted to be when I got there. I have since then lost five more lbs and am just eating what I want now and letting my weight settle where it will. I think it will be around 120 since I weighted that for such a long time when I was younger and felt good at that weight.
How will you or did you, decide your final weight?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 20:39

Stats: 175/167.8/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 12%

What exactly do you mean by "eat what I want"?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 21:11
Registered Member

BF:

I mean, I eat as much as it takes to fill me up, but only on legal foods. I am eating from the last rung of Atkins and gradually adding a few things.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-11, 21:55
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I picked a goal weight that put my BMI at the high end of normal. For me at 5'8", that was 160. When I hit that, I just kept going and have settled in at 152-155 in maintenance. That was 6 yrs ago now...and I'm doing well keeping my weight where it is.

When I was younger, in my 20s and 30s, I would get into the 140s and was never able to hold it there....so for me, being in the 150s and being able to hold it there is more important than being in the 140s.

Hope this helps!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-11, 10:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Actually, I was shooting for something like 140 originally; getting into size ten pants, comfortably, at 160 was a revelation!

Now I'd like to see if I can ditch a few of these lumps and bumps; twelve more pounds should do me nicely, with a margin for error.

I think "goal weight" is kind of a misleading concept on low carb; you weigh more, and your clothes fit better, than when I weighed this while eating the Standard American Diet.

Our goals shouldn't be some arbitrary number on a device that measures the force of gravity on our mass. What's important is how that mass is distributed!

Last edited by WereBear : Sat, Aug-06-11 at 10:54. Reason: clarity
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 12:57

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I originally picked 150 because it was in the middle range of the weight charts for my height. I also took my age into consideration. Had I been 10 or 20 years younger then I might have dropped it to 140. However, like Judy, I prefer to stay in a weight range that I can maintain comfortably, rather than struggling to stay at a lower weight.

Also, as long as I can comfortably fit into a UK size 12 (US size 8) and look good, then I'm happy.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 13:59
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks guys. I kept thinking I needed to "try" to lose weight each week but lately I have realized that I am happy anywhere in the mid or low range of the 120s which I never thought I'd see again. So, if more comes off with me just eating the way I am now, that's a good thing, as Martha would say, but I'm done with tweaking to make it happen. It is hard to wrap my head around the idea that I already am at maintenance. LOL
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 20:42
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

The previous time I did this, 150 was my goal. I worked out with a personal trainer 2-3 times a week and hit 150 for about 30 seconds. I couldn't sustain it because I was starving all the time (and yes, I was eating plenty and on plan). This time around I chose 155 because of the memory of trying for 150 and being miserable trying to get there. A few things were different this time around, I'm not working out as much (I still do yoga, walk the dog, and this time around I do Zumba a couple times a week). I hit 155 and just kept to plan. I wasn't hungry and I wasn't struggling. NEVER did I think I would ever slip down to 150 let alone to 135 (my lowest). I've gained back up back to 140 and I'm really comfortable there--satisfied withthe amount and type of food I'm eating, satisfies with how my body looks (I'm 51 and am not trying to attain an unattainable body shape). It's all good.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-11, 04:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

took it away because I already posted here...

Last edited by WereBear : Wed, Aug-10-11 at 07:56. Reason: wrong forum
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 17:35

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I chose 150 this time because before when I lost down to 135 dh said I was "too boney."

Also, this time around it is more about my health and less about my weight....however, I really would like to get down closer to 140. I'm just not willing to rush it or work very hard for it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 21:08
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%

How clothes fit.

Currently 36 pants are too loose and 34 pants are too tight. I need to either gain or lose some weight.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-11, 14:44
Registered Member

Stats: 210/178/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I'm struggling with this same question. I know it's silly, but right now I'm aiming to fit (comfortably) into a US size 10 because I have about 5 pairs of pants and will thus triple my wardrobe! I'm guessing that means around 150, but I have no idea. I figure once I'm there, I'll assess. Somehow I can't seem to get beyond a tight 12. Harumph.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-11, 20:17

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

I am late to the thread. I picked 155 as goal because I hit that the first time I did Atkins. Then I stayed at that weight for a few years before regaining. It seemed like a good weight for me. But this time I easily went right past that and down to where I am now.

I think my body will stop losing when it's ready, so I'm also waiting for the chips to fall where they may. So to speak. Carrot chips, maybe.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 16:30

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 208/170.2/170 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Eve, I did pretty much what you did. It's almost as if my weight picked me, once I had my eating habits established. Part of it was also feedback from friends on whether I looked emaciated or not.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 11:22
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

I thought this was an interesting thread! I too feel like the weight picked me. I had decided on 200-210 since I am 6'4" tall and have a moderate build, but if I abstain from all the foods I must abstain from to be free from cravings my weight settles at 185-190. It ddid so in 2005 and again this time, so I guess my body likes this weight Hope all you fellow maintainers are doing well!