Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-11, 09:26

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

This is beside the point but I love that Emerson quote Mel92. I've been meaning to read him.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-11, 03:55

Plan: Long term.
Stats: 160/157/150 Male 64
BF:
Progress:

only time i count carbs are during my carb ups and thats just to see how much i beasted as far as meals go.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 18:35

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 173/170/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

I don't count my carbs either. I eat carbs separately from any fats or proteins, at different meals. Almost all my meals are no carb (not counting minute amounts in veg). So I can eat oatmeal with truvia or whole grain malt o meal for breakfast, but not added butter or fats. Then pretty much the rest of my day is fat/protein meals with veg. If I really want a carb meal, I can have a bowl of black beans with salsa, but no fats with that meal. I almost never do a carb meal except at breakfast.

I do let myself have a cheater meal on weekends - 1 each day - reserved for if we are at family get togethers. It has worked well and I've lost 10 pounds since July 8th.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 19:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I LOVE Math!!! But I don't count... ha ha.
If we choose to call this "a way of life," and not a diet, then counting seems unnatural. Right?
We all know what is considered low carb foods... but something I've decided to do is eat less. I tend to have quite an appetite but I'm working on that. Also, I exercise.
Best of luck to you.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-11, 01:22
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria150
I LOVE Math!!! But I don't count... ha ha.
If we choose to call this "a way of life," and not a diet, then counting seems unnatural. Right?
We all know what is considered low carb foods... but something I've decided to do is eat less. I tend to have quite an appetite but I'm working on that. Also, I exercise.
Best of luck to you.

My father kindly stated at a family meal the other day that I was 'on a diet'. I corrected him by saying "I'm not on a diet, I choose to eat this way. It's a way of eating and living, and it's for life.".

I have only measured carbs once or twice and to be honest, it's a pain doing so. I eat what I feel like eating and don't force the issue either way. I'm currently enjoying strict Paleo and it is considerably higher carb than I used to eat and I feel great on it
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-11, 09:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblong
I'm currently enjoying strict Paleo and it is considerably higher carb than I used to eat and I feel great on it

Good for you! I truly believe everyone needs to find what works best for them... not just for the weight loss but a balance of foods that keeps you feeling happy and satisfied, while loosing weight

You've made great progress. Congrats!!!
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 09:18

Plan: Stillman
Stats: 190/123/110 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Carbs

I don't count Carb either..
I just know what foods are Low Carb and stick to it
and also stay way from flour and sugar.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 10:06

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 218/175.4/113 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Since getting preggers, I don't count anymore and it is certainly a more pleasant and relaxed approach. I'm avoiding processed foods, and other than fats & proteins, I stick with eating mainly lower carb veggies & fruits ... and a small dose of daily chocolate.

I have a considerable amount of weight still to lose, but it sure would be nice if I could continue to be this relaxed about not counting and still lose. It makes life much easier.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-11, 15:19

Plan: Personal Plan
Stats: 126/126/116 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

Good for you! That is such an awesome weight loss goal. I try not to count carbs, too much because I know once I absolutely abstain from something I have to get my hands on it. Instead, I have been removing bread from my diet and incorporating different less carb items, like Wasa. I actually do some work with the social media team so it has given me a chance to learn more about it. Plus, it tastes good and makes me feel a little less guilty when I eat a crispbread with chocolate almond butter.

Does anyone else do this?
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-11, 06:14

Plan: Dr Stillman
Stats: 127/126/114 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

I never count carb it just math.I follow something close to Dr Stillman
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-11, 14:58

Plan: 2 daily LC meals mostly
Stats: 198/000/149 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 404%

Hi!

I'm on CAD ( with lot's of tweaks) and I came across these threads about not counting carbs. I have a question: those of you who do not count carbs, do you give yourself a time limit for each meal? I always time myself- I'm maintaining right now with about 25 pounds yet to lose. I consume 2 meals a day- lunch and dinner. I never want breakfast and I'm doing great at maintaining! I eat whatever I want during these 2 meals ( high carb and low carb- whatever I want) however, I time myself. I keep it generally at 30 minutes each meal, sometimes 35 for one and 25 for the next. But I never ever go beyond 60 minutes a day for 2 meals. This is just something I found out that works for me; and I must emphasize that this is for maintaining , not losing. ( I have zero cravings, too). Oh, every night I chew several sticks of sugarless gum for a "snack"- chocolate mint dessert gum is my favorite!

I read an article saying it's good to maintain your weight for awhile before going to the next phase of losing. The only trouble is that I'm having so much fun maintaining that I'm procrastinating about going on to the losing phase. However, I like the fact that you guys eat low carb to lose, so what I plan to do is start losing again , keeping low carb for both meals, not counting the carbs, per se, but keeping to the same timing. I think that may help me to start losing again! I plan to begin Monday- of course.

I just wanted to share with everyone about an easy way for me to maintain between weight loss phases. But I want to start eating low carb, not counting carbs to lose, like you guys do.

I welcome all responses to my post!

SeaLady
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-11, 13:22

Plan: Atkins sort of
Stats: 215/202/140 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey SeaLady and other contributers,

didn't you just have a huge storm? I pet sat in Wasilla last Feb and chased the Northern lights 2x. :-)!! I may be back next Feb for the same lady. The highway out of Anchorage towards Seaward is unbelievably beautiful! From Canada originally, but settled in Pennsylvania with husband.

I have lost 15 lbs since April doing Atkins/basically my own program of lc with no counting. I keep stalling because I still struggle with eating too much and cheating. I am working on staying positive, lots of self forgiving, and wanting to not give in to mental cravings.

Thanks for writing, everyone!

:-) Joanne
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 03:29

BF:

Hi Joanne!

No, that storm was out in the Aleutian Islands. We in Anchorage didn't get any of that- just some snow. But it's really cold right now as I type this. 6 degrees- burr! I'm cosy enough in my abode beside my fireplace right now. I think I'll make some low carb comfort food tomorrow.

BTW, I was born in PA. in a little town called Grove City. We then moved to West Middlesex outside of Sharon. It was really beautiful living out in the country. I remember it well. My family later moved to So. California. I came to Alaska 30 years ago with my then- husband who was in the military.He left and I stayed! I really would like to live on the Oregon Coast someday.My GF and I take mini trips there a few times a year. My fiance bought a beach house in Maui and someday we'll live half a year there and half a year in Alaska or. I'm hoping, the Oregon Coast.

Congrats on your 15 pound weight loss!

SeaLady
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 09:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hi!

While I don't count carbs per se, I do keep a mental count of how many servings of starch and fruit I have each day, which now in maintenance is about 2 of each. This is in additon to my proteins, veggies and fats.

I used South Beach as my guide to lose my weight and it doesn't require counting carbs but does require an awareness of what we are eating.

So while I don't count carbs, I do keep a strict awareness of everything I put into my mouth. I do not eat processed foods and cook most of what I do eat as I try to not eat out a lot.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 03:18

BF:

I eat out quite a bit. But I still manange to stick pretty well to my program. Sometimes it's even easier to eat meals out then it is to eat at home! I do, however, like to make my specialties at home sometimes. I'm just not an everyday cook.

SeaLady