Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 08:25
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Words Of Encouragement To Get Through The Winter!!!

For those on CAD and other Low Carb Plans. Has your weight loss stalled? Have you started to gain a bit even though you're sticking to the same program you had during the summer and exercising the same or even more? Are your carb cravings worse? Are your falls into the carb pit more numberous?

If your replies to any of these questions are yes, welcome to SAD or winter weight syndrome (a variant of SAD). A way to tell, if you've been on the board through last winter, is to check your journal entries around that time. You can also try to recall your past behaviors/weight trends over past winters.

What does SAD or winter weight syndrome mean for those affected (some people are not affected)? This component of SAD activates in winter due to low levels of light intensity as compared to those in summer. It is the difference in light that triggers it not just the difference in temperature though that is a component too. This lessening of light triggers a hormonal process in the body that causes the body to naturally secrete higher levels of insulin. Insulin is both the fat storing and hunger hormone!!! It can also be called the carb craving hormone!! It can also be called the survival hormone and this triggering mechanism comes to us from Neanderthal days when it helped us survive winters by signalling the body to have more hunger, eat more carbs and calorie dense foods, lower metabolism, and to store fat to protect us from starvation through the thin food months of winter. A lovely gift from Mother Nature, lol!!! Not needed now but still with us, unfortunately.

So what does this mean and what can you do about it? Unfortunately, not much!! It's just the way you're wired. The best thing that you can do is relax, stick to program, up your carbs a bit and wait for spring and restart of weight loss. If you're on CAD and your RM gets a bit unbalanced, that's fine. If your weight actually goes up a little, that's fine too. Don't agonize over it, don't stress. Don't allow it to get you out of control and off program. If you're on other lc programs and keep falling into the carb pit every two weeks or so, you might want to consider doing CAD for winter maintenance. For people who suffer from winter weight syndrome, now is not the time to do strict induction, IMHO. I think it will just make the cravings/binging worse.

I think probably the best and most practical advice I can give is to put the scale away for the winter and to stick to program religiously. That way your cravings will be under control, your mental attitude will be calm, your weight will remain relatively stable (you might even lose a couple of pounds over the winter) and you will be ready for the natural whoosh when spring comes.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Fri, Jan-16-04 at 08:28.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 09:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I very much hope this is true. I am getting very upset with myself lately and knowing this, that it may be caused by SAD and will end, really brings my hopes up. The scale has been away for 3 days now so maybe I can keep it that way till spring. Thanks for this information.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 09:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

this is really something to think about! i absolutely hate this time of year and the fact that it is dark so early and so long (although that is starting to improve a little!) i have been so faithful trying to knock of the two pounds that i gained over the holidays, and the scale just isn't budging! maybe this is true, maybe it isn't, but it might just be the info i need to believe in to keep me on track!

just last week i was thinking about going to the tanning salon--not for the tan--just for the dose of ultraviolet light! and then, if a little weight loss is an added bonus???
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 15:51

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Ahhhhhhhhhh! The reassurance is wonderful. Thanks!

Deb
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 18:18

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 191/189/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Oh, dear, yes!
Progress: 5%

Thanks, Zuleikka!

We all need encouragement now! This is the time of year when my hypoglycemia gets a lot worse -- at least it's stabilized on CAD/CALP. I also find that no matter how satisfied I am with lunch/CM, I'm starving within 2-3 hours.

Your explanation of insulin production going up is factual. Our hunger and cravings really aren't in our heads! Thanks so much.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 05:12

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Thanks Zulie,

That was sure an eye opener. I have heard of SAD, but have never had anyone explain it like you did. I too, am having a heck of a time getting the holiday weight off, and now I think I know why. I will take your advice and not stress over it. I will stay firmly on plan and not worry too much until spring.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:01
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Here is how I exploit winter for weight loss:

1. I keep the heat DOWN. In fact, I live in north Texas, and I have yet to turn my heat on at all - my goal is to NEVER turn it on, so that my body learns to burn more fat for warmth when things get rough. (What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.)

2. I'm not religious, so I avoid the holiday binges that plague everyone I know.

3. I drink the famed fat-burning Green Tea or Yerba Mate hot and often - great on a chilly morning.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:29

Plan: atkins/now cad
Stats: 179/154/155 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Thanks Zuleikaa,
I even live in a warmer climate than most (it does get cold here, but we have some days that are up in the 70's to take the chill off) and I can tell my body does not want to lose yet. Trying to get the last of the holiday wt off has been a pain, even though I am not eating near the amount I was during the holidays. Thanks for taking the time to explain this, your awsome!!!
Pam
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 13:33

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I keep having to re-read this. It keeps me going for another day. Everytime I'm feeling frustrated, which is often right now, I come back and read this. It keeps my disappointment in perspective and my hopes high.

Thanks again, Zule, for the life line. You're the best!

Deb
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 13:45

Plan: south beach
Stats: 224/168/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Great overview Zule--Thanks for the link--Everytime there is a little sun out there, i try and take advantage of it--I sure hope that the tide (seasonally speaking) turns soon, cause this has NOT been fun--
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 23:21
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Such a great informative post.

Hi, Zuleikaa. Your post offers so much comfort and reassurance. Thanks for putting this out here.

I'm still learning about bits and pieces about these different low carb plans that have become lc buzzwords. I need to find out what CAD/CALP/KISS and all those other acronyms REALLY mean!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 07:05
Finding the Pieces

BF:

CAD = Carbohydrate Addicts Diet

CALP = Carbohydrate Addicts Life Plan

KISS = Keep it Simple Stupid (getting back to basics)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 04:23

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%

Thanks for posting this...it sheds some light on things...
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 12:18

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I wonder if one of those lights that people with SAD get would help.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 12:26
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I have the SAD light and it helps but I still go through it.