Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 09:19

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Is Intermittent Fasting the key to maintenance?

I'm currently reading Br Briffa's new book Escape the Diet Trap. (For anyone who is interested, there's also a thread about it here in the Media Forum). In the book, he talks about using internittent fasting as a tool to help with slow or stalled weight loss.

Quote:
Chapter 22. Going Lower
For a few, fat loss can be slow going, or they may find themselves ‘plateauing’ at a weight that is higher than they would like. Should slow or stalled weight loss be an issue, this chapter provides two powerful strategies for overcoming this in the form of ‘intermittent fasting’ and ‘high intensity intermittent exercise’.
http://www.drbriffa.com/books/escape-the-diet-trap/

However, in an article published in the London Times yesterday (which you can read in full in the Media Form via the link above) he also states that it works well for weight maintenance:

Quote:
Refreshingly, and unusually for a nutrition guru, he describes himself as “no angel” when it comes to his own diet. “I generally eat well — unprocessed foods, lots of vegetables, some fruit and Greek yoghurt, but I’m not perfect,” he says. “I reckon I now eat breakfast twice a week maximum, although I haven’t skipped lunch or dinner in, ooh, 20 years.” Skipping meals, he says, is not necessarily a bad thing if you plan it well. Convention teaches us that three meals a day with small snacks are the best way to fire up a metabolism that will gobble calories like a furnace. Recent research, though, suggests otherwise. “I’ve become more interested in the concept of ‘intermittent fasting’, something I’ve looked at in Escape The Diet Trap. It’s based on the theory that if you can reduce calories quite significantly a couple of days a week and eat normally on the other days, it helps to maintain weight. There’s growing evidence it works.”
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/healt...icle3278992.ece

In his book, Dr Briffa talks about his own intermittent fasting experiment which he wrote about in this interesting blog post last year:

Quote:
My intermittent fasting experiment

28 March, 2011

I’m a big believer that if individuals want to eat healthily easily, it makes sense not to let the appetite run out of control. Once we get ravenously hungry the desire to eat rubbish can be overwhelming. One of the strategies I have generally advocated to achieve good appetite control is to eat the right food. I favour relatively protein-rich, carb-controlled/primal eating here. This sort of diet does seem to have inherent ability to sate the appetite more effectively that carb-based fare. The other strategy I recommend is to eat this sort of diet regularly.

Historically, I have recommended that individuals generally eat three meals a day. Possibly, they may have a snack of something healthy and satisfying (e.g. nuts) between their lunch and dinner.

I’ve seen a lot of individuals (myself included) do very well on this sort of regime in terms of fat loss, improved vitality and improvements in blood chemistry. However, like anything, this dietary approach is no panacea, and does need some tailoring according to individual circumstances.

I do quite a lot of work in the corporate sector, and I’ve in recent months been meeting quite a few individuals who are highly productive and energised in the morning, but who don’t eat breakfast. I’m not a hardliner on the breakfast thing as long as someone doesn’t get too hungry before lunch. Many of these individuals don’t eat breakfast because, well, they really are not hungry in the morning, and seem to do just fine on little or nothing before lunch.

In their own way, individuals who eschew breakfast are engaging in a version of what is sometimes referred to as ‘intermittent fasting’. Basically, this means going without food for extended periods of time. There’s a myriad of ways this can be done, but here are some examples:
Consuming food in a contracted e.g. 8-hours period every day. For example, if eating starts at 10.00 am, it needs to be finished at 6.00 pm.
Going without food for a whole 24-hour period every so often (e.g. once a week).
Skipping dinner from time to time.
Skipping breakfast regularly or occasionally.

There is some thought that intermittent fasting (IF) ‘forces’ the body to dig into its fuel stores (including fat). IF can improve functioning of the hormone insulin. A quite-recent study did provide some support for this notion [1]. Improved ‘insulin sensitivity’ is a good thing, as it would likely mean lower insulin levels, and lower body fatness, in time. It would also possibly reduce the risk of chronic disease such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease too.

My interest in IF was piqued recently through some interaction with someone who had lost a lot of weight (about 90 lbs/40 kg) and about 20 inches (that’s not a typo, twenty inches) off her waist following the advice in my last book Waist Disposal. However, she had plateaued at a weight above what she was comfortable with, and so we were looking to see what we could do to push things on a bit. We discussed IF, and she went for it. Her approach was to skip dinner 2-3 times a week. And it worked. Down through the plateau she went. And comfortably and happily too.

Around this time I listened to a podcast in which American low-carb advocate Jimmy Moore interviewed blogger Todd Becker. Todd expressed his scepticism for the need for breakfast, and talked about how extending the time between eating can lower insulin levels. You can listen to this podcast here. This was perhaps a ‘tipping point’ for me, in that I resolved to try this approach myself.

I actually started slowly. About a month ago I starting simply delaying breakfast until I felt quite hungry (but not so hungry that I was starving). Within a few days I found myself getting through to lunch with, really, no appreciable hunger at all. I’ve had abundant energy, and my brain seems to have functioned just as well as before – possibly better. No mood issues either (well, no more than normal!)

The week before last I had my parents around for brunch. I did a big fry-up. We sat down at 11.30 am and I can honestly say I really couldn’t face the food at all. That’s how unhungry I was. And yet I had not eaten for 16 hours.

What’s going on here? I don’t know for sure. But going back to insulin again, there’s a good chance levels of this hormone are lower than before. Insulin encourages fat storage. Put another way, lower insulin means for efficient release of fat, which can be used to fuel the body. The reason that I’m not hungry is possibly because the body is ‘feeding’ off my fat. That might also explain how I’ve lost about 5 lbs and an inch has gone from my waist.

One of things I like about nutrition is that there’s always something new to learn (and try). One thing flirting with IF has done is really get me in tune with eating when I’m genuinely hungry and not ‘by the clock’. I’m starting to realise that perhaps I was previously eating a lot of food because it was ‘time to eat’. Not sure where my IF experiment will take me, but sense it’s a strategy that is here to stay in one form or another.

References:

1. Harvie MN, et al. The effects of intermittent or continuous energy restriction on weight loss and metabolic disease risk markers: a randomized trial in young overweight women. Int J Obes (Lond). 2010 Oct 5.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/03/28/...ing-experiment/
Previously to the holidays, and my going back to basics, I rarely ate breakfast, and would sometimes not eat until dinner. I was quite happy doing this and do feel that it kept my weight under control, or rather made maintaining my weight much easier for me. It's something that I'm planning on returning to in the next week or so.

As a maintainer, do you use IF, and if so, which example do you favour? Or do you have your own way?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/161/155 Female 5'6
BF:don't u ask
Progress: 93%

You know, I'm not a maintainer, but I have just started IF back in beginning of Dec. I have found the weight coming off. Lbs that I have been trying to drop, after years of stall, are coming off. I eat lc in my "window" from 5-10. Its working for me.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 13:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
You know, I'm not a maintainer, but I have just started IF back in beginning of Dec. I have found the weight coming off. Lbs that I have been trying to drop, after years of stall, are coming off. I eat lc in my "window" from 5-10. Its working for me.
No problem on not being a maintainer. It's good to hear that it's working so well for you because your experience totally chimes with what Dr Briffa says in his book with regard to IF being a powerful tool to overcome stalled weight loss.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 13:49

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I am in the weight loss stage and I skip breakfast most days of the week and don't eat till hungry. That can be anywhere from 11am to 2pm. From there I eat supper at 6, I feel great, know I'm eating less calories and hopefully my body is using more fat as energy during fasting. Yesterday I got hungry at 9 and ate breakfast, but didn't eat anything till supper at 5.

Its nice to not worry about food and meal times.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 14:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briffa
I actually started slowly. About a month ago I starting simply delaying breakfast until I felt quite hungry (but not so hungry that I was starving). Within a few days I found myself getting through to lunch with, really, no appreciable hunger at all. I’ve had abundant energy, and my brain seems to have functioned just as well as before – possibly better. No mood issues either (well, no more than normal!)

I really like this guy!! The bold words cracked me up!
A man admitting to moods!! Love him!!

I started doing my version of IF slowly also. At first, I'd only have 1/2 cup of greek yogurt with my morning coffee. Now, I just have my coffee and am fine doing that until I'm ready to eat my lunch. So I suppose that means that I now regularly skip breakfast.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 16:51

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:

Some time ago, there was a study done, I heard it on the radio. They said there was no real reason why people had to eat breakfast and if they didn't, they saved themselves an average of 400 calories a day.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-12, 07:34

BF:

If anyone is interested, Krista over at Stumptuous has co-written a FREE downloadable e-book on intermittent fasting. Love the title!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-12, 09:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Thanks for link, will read & come back to share my thoughts.

I'm STILL eating only 2 big meals a day... and, loving it. Skipping breakfast in favor of a cup of coffee with HWC and coconut oil works better than I could have dreamed. I do not get hungry between meals! In fact, some of my meals, even dinner, are small, without affecting my appetite.

It's my own theory that my pancreas works by dumping a truckload of insulin when it gets the call from my stomach. After years of expecting lotsa carbs when that phone rings, I'm not surprised

So when the tanker car of insulin arrives, it finds a big meal to work on; but it also does not need a second delivery, as it would with a high carb meal. So it keeps me "even" and lies low until the big meal six or more hours later. I routinely IF from 7 pm to noon the next day... a 19 hour stretch. On long weekends, I find I can shut the window to 5 hours, but this doesn't work on weekdays.

AND I continued this pattern over the holidays, with occasional gluten free indulgences, and still maintained!

I share my thoughts in this thread, which helped many:

The case against snacking
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-12, 22:04

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I try to tend to my hypoglycemia....but Im willing to try IF....I have to have a small protein by 10am..otherwise I get "brainfog"...then Im fine until 4..when I need a cheese or something small..my dh is home at 6 so dinner is 6:30..Im trying to figure out how to reorganize things to fit...I can see this as working if its about my protein intake..

I seriously can dispense with lunch but that kinda doesnt fit the model..Ideas??
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-12, 05:02
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

This is an interesting concept and it brings to mind one of the central tenets of the lc woe: eat only enough to asuage hunger. I would say, therefore, that certainly if one is not hungry at mealtime and it trying to lose weight, don't eat just because it's mealtime!

Personally, though, I wake up starving
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-30-12, 06:09

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15

I am really interested in this as i can go naturally for long periods with out feeling the need to eat. That said at the moment ive found that eating more keeps my weight loss going especially as I exercise 5-6 days a week. I can however live happily off only a late lunch or evening meal every day. When i get to goal i do plan to give IF a serious try as a way of maintaining. Thanks for posting
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 19:12

Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have been IFing for about 7 weeks now and love it. I work out most mornings so I start with coffee, HWC and tbs of coconut oil. I usually wait until noon or somedays all the way to two but somedays are like today and I was starving at 11. I think that was because I worked out hard. I IF for 6 days a week. It has done two things for me, taught me what real hunger is and allowed me not to have to plan lunch beyond what to put in my scrambled eggs! I have reached a place I am comfortable in my weight so I have started adding back in a few more calories but still IFing.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 13:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Based on WereBear's theory, which seemed to fit me, and Martin Berkhan's articles on leangains.com, I started the version of IF where you restrict eating to two meals/day within 8 hours of each other. It's not "pure" IF, because I take a BCAA powder supplement pre- and post-workout, but it's close.

Like WereBear, I didn't use IF to reduce calories, just shift them around. I'm now much more sated after a meal, and the feeling of wanting to continue eating is largely gone. It took a week to adjust to the new plan (I did it gradually, like Dr. Briffa), but now I can go 15–16 hours after dinner without feeling hungry. I still don't have a good sense of how long to go between meals 1 and 2, but it seems like 5-6 hours is my limit. Some days, I have a snack between meals.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 18:12

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I don't consider it IF, but I usually only eat two meals per day. Most times lunch (which is breakfast foods or left overs) and dinner. Because I am a night owl, lunch is around 2 and dinner around 8 or 9. Occasionally I will eat all three meals and most of the time on the days I only eat twice I will have a small snack in between.

I have never been much of a breakfast person, though - even when I have made a concerted effort to eat 3 squares a day because it's supposed to be better for me.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 02:48

BF:

Quote:
From Dr Briffa's blog
17 May, 2012

Mouse study provides support for the concept of intermittent fasting

The need for regular meals are a regularly-occurring feature in healthy eating and weight loss advice. I used to believe this myself. But in the last year or two I’ve had to reconsider my thinking on this on this on the basis of my own personal experience as well as people I’ve worked with clinically. Basically, I’ve come to the conclusion that prolonged periods of food avoidance can have benefits for weight loss and health, perhaps through some ability to optimise the functioning of certain hormones including insulin. I was asked earlier this year to write a piece about the concept of ‘intermittent fasting’ for The Times newspaper which you can find here.

One of the more common intermittent fasting strategies is to confine eating to a preset ‘window’ (usually 6-8 hours) during each 24-hour day. I was interested to read of a recent study, albeit in mice, that appears to lend some support for the idea that such a strategy may have benefits for health and weight control [1].

In this study, mice were fed in one of two ways. One group of mice were allowed to eat as much as they liked night and day. Another group, however, had their eating restricted to just 8 hours every 24-hour cycle. The mice ate the same type of diet, and ended up consuming the same amount of calories too. However, the impact on the two groups of mice was different in a number of ways.

For example, those mice with restricted eating ended up weighting significantly less than the other mice. Insulin functioning was improved too (improved insulin sensitivity is generally taken as a good thing and something that would help reduce the risk of weight gain and chronic diseases including type 2 diabetes over time). Functioning of the hormone leptin was improved too, which is important as this hormone is known to help speed the metabolism (and may suppress appetite too).

The mice that were restricted in their feeding has lower levels of inflammation. This is perhaps important because inflammation is believed to impair the functioning of both insulin and leptin. These mice enjoyed relative protection from liver damage too.

Mice are not men, so we cannot assume that the findings of this study apply directly to human beings. However, I do think this sort of research serves to remind us that it’s not just what we eat, but when we eat it, that might have some influence on weight and wellbeing. And even though the research is conducted in animals, it provides at least some support for the idea that contracting the window during which we eat each day might bring us benefits.

References:

1. Megumi Hatori, Christopher Vollmers, Amir Zarrinpar, Luciano DiTacchio, Eric A. Bushong, Shubhroz Gill, Mathias Leblanc, Amandine Chaix, Matthew Joens, James A.J. Fitzpatrick, Mark H. Ellisman, Satchidananda Panda. Time-Restricted Feeding without Reducing Caloric Intake Prevents Metabolic Diseases in Mice Fed a High-Fat Diet. Cell Metabolism, 2012; DOI: 10.1016/j.cmet.2012.04.019

http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/05/17/...ittent-fasting/