Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 09:18

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%
Default A success

Even though I have managed to lose weight well, I still struggle with certain food demons. I just assume I will for the rest of my life. And usually once I gie in to a demon, I go into a self-hating free for all that can las a couple of days before I snap out of it. Yesterday, was a losing struggle, but I am celebrating today because I managed to re-take control.

I was hungry all day yesterday. I really think it is hormonal. I am in perimenopause, and the hot flashes, mood swings and food cravings are driving me mad. So, I ended up having a completely unplanned cupcake. Followed by a bag of chocolate covered peanuts. On the way home, I pulled into sonic for a milkshake, to continue the binge, since it had started. But then something strange happened.

I cancelled my shake and drove away empty handed. And I didn't stop for ice cream and chocolate anywhere, either. When I got home, I wasn't really hungry, so I drank water, and some hot tea. I didn't spend the night digging through cupboards. I didn't eat any more off plan foods. And I didn't tell myself, "Well, since you've blown it, just get it all out of your system." Instead, I simply stopped.

This morning, I got up like usual, went to the gym like usual, ate eggs after working out, like usual. I didn't tell myself that since I was "bad" yetserday, I might as well have a muffin/french toaste/frappucino/coffee cake for breakfast and simply start over on Monday. I didn't give myself permission to skip the gym, since I am such a loser anyway. I didn't lie to myself about what I had eaten yesterday. And I didn't give that to myself as an excuse to keep making bad choices today.

For me, that is progress worth celebrating.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 09:25

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 218/175.4/113 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 41%

That's huge! Congratulations and well done.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/245.4/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 57%

great job!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 10:38
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
Even though I have managed to lose weight well, I still struggle with certain food demons. I just assume I will for the rest of my life. And usually once I gie in to a demon, I go into a self-hating free for all that can las a couple of days before I snap out of it. Yesterday, was a losing struggle, but I am celebrating today because I managed to re-take control.

I was hungry all day yesterday. I really think it is hormonal. I am in perimenopause, and the hot flashes, mood swings and food cravings are driving me mad. So, I ended up having a completely unplanned cupcake. Followed by a bag of chocolate covered peanuts. On the way home, I pulled into sonic for a milkshake, to continue the binge, since it had started. But then something strange happened.

I cancelled my shake and drove away empty handed. And I didn't stop for ice cream and chocolate anywhere, either. When I got home, I wasn't really hungry, so I drank water, and some hot tea. I didn't spend the night digging through cupboards. I didn't eat any more off plan foods. And I didn't tell myself, "Well, since you've blown it, just get it all out of your system." Instead, I simply stopped.

This morning, I got up like usual, went to the gym like usual, ate eggs after working out, like usual. I didn't tell myself that since I was "bad" yetserday, I might as well have a muffin/french toaste/frappucino/coffee cake for breakfast and simply start over on Monday. I didn't give myself permission to skip the gym, since I am such a loser anyway. I didn't lie to myself about what I had eaten yesterday. And I didn't give that to myself as an excuse to keep making bad choices today.

For me, that is progress worth celebrating.

Thats an excellent observation about your own behavior! Now that you've done it once and acknowledged it, you'll be able to do it again next time!!

Good job!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 12:46

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

Thanks, guys.

I survived lunch temptations, which were strong, since it is the last Friday of the summer (before school starts back) and everyone is going out for pub food (jalapneo chili cheese fries were calling my name). But I had a bunless burger and some mixed broc/cauli with melted cheese and a few almonds.

Judy, I like what you said about next time. I actually may be able to resist or minimize next time and the time after that. That's actually very encouraging to think about.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 13:15
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
Thanks, guys.

Judy, I like what you said about next time. I actually may be able to resist or minimize next time and the time after that. That's actually very encouraging to think about.

In my experience, when we are able to get to that level of observation of our own behaviors is actually when we can begin the process of changing them.
Until then, I wasn't able to see the road to change as I was unable to see myself at all.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 16:25
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

HUGE! HUGE! HUGE!

Each time it becomes easier and easier and you can stop the cycle before it even stops.

"We may not have the power to stop, but we do have the power not to start"

In this case, you were able to put the brakes on!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 17:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Incredibly good news! I used to do the same thing; and it doesn't make any sense.

We never say, "Oh, I spent more than I had planned to. Guess I'll bet the rent money on a horse."
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 17:58

Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
We never say, "Oh, I spent more than I had planned to. Guess I'll bet the rent money on a horse."

This. is. awesome.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 22:46
Registered Member

Stats: 165/124.8/125 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Every action first starts as a though in our heads. We just need to try and stop them while they are still thoughts and don't take that action the way you did with the shake. Great job!