Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-10, 13:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%
Default pre-maintenance..

hey all,
So I'm almost ready to start pre maintenance.. I'm looking in about a months time.
Got my book out and will re-read that section.. but always wanted to come here for advise..
What is your daily menu like? How much do you add back in at a time? Is the book right, you are more hungry after you are no longer in ketosis?
I have a few other questions but I'm drawing a blank atm lol anything else important you want to add would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 09:12
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hi and Congrats!!

If you don't mind sharing some info, what rung have you reached on the OWL phase of Atkins?
How many carbs are you now eating daily and where do they come from?

Its great that you asking questions now.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 13:11

I eat anywhere from 10-40 carbs a day..

I've done all rungs BUT whole grains and starchy veggies.
But not sure, am I doing it right? I don't have to eat this stuff everyday right?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 13:17

opps sorry as for where my carbs come from..
I do not eat veggies. I know I know!! But for me they trigger HUNGER in me. when I sit down and eat a salad.. or my all time fav veggies, broccoli.. I am Soo hungry after, I can not stop eating.. I go on to eat like 3000+ cal a day. I have no idea why veggies cause me to do this. I have big issue dealing with it.. so gave up on the veggies.
Most carbs come from cheese, eggs, nuts(mostly almonds and peanut butter), berries, Chili(so tomato, some veggies, beans), and my low carb sweets(all different, but vary form 4-12 carbs.. stuff like cheesecake, brownies, cookies, cake) BUT as far as the sweets, I only have 1 day and always my last night snack.
HTH!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-10, 06:46
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiflip
opps sorry as for where my carbs come from..
I do not eat veggies. I know I know!! But for me they trigger HUNGER in me. when I sit down and eat a salad.. or my all time fav veggies, broccoli.. I am Soo hungry after, I can not stop eating.. I go on to eat like 3000+ cal a day. I have no idea why veggies cause me to do this. I have big issue dealing with it.. so gave up on the veggies.
Most carbs come from cheese, eggs, nuts(mostly almonds and peanut butter), berries, Chili(so tomato, some veggies, beans), and my low carb sweets(all different, but vary form 4-12 carbs.. stuff like cheesecake, brownies, cookies, cake) BUT as far as the sweets, I only have 1 day and always my last night snack.
HTH!

Hi Canidce,
I've been thinking about you and your issue.
I need to tell you what I really think about this. Trying to skirt around this is just not going to happen so here goes. Sorry if this offends as it is not my intention.
99% of all of this weight loss and maintenance goes on in our heads. Its how we think about it all that makes it easy or hard for each of us.
You say that you eat chili that has veggies and even beans....does that make you hungry to binge? If not, why do you think that its different?

Do you see where I'm going with this?
If you decide that you will learn how to eat veggies and not get triggered to binge, I do believe that we can all beat this thing that goes on in our heads. But we each have to decide this for ourselves...and then stick to it.

Years ago when I was first starting out, I made my first pot of split pea soup. I had never made it before and it tasted so good to me that I had 2 large bowls of it all at once. I couldn't stop eating it mainly because of its taste and also because it was new to me. Since then, I can make a pot and have a cup of it and stop there.
When I ate wheat at first, it also triggered me as I found that it made me very hungry. I got it then that I'd steer clear of all wheat.

But having to avoid all veggies due to them triggering /hunger and binges, needs to be figured out by you....why? why not the chili? Is it certain types of veggies or is it all of them.
I do think that it'd be in your best long term maintenance interest, to get this figured out.

I like your plan to have only one sweet a day as your late night snack.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-10, 09:39

probably maybe the chili only has onions/bellpepper and they are really cooked down.. I dunno. I like broccoli, snap peas, sugar peas, green beans, lettuce, corn, potato, carrots most.. some of those I can not eat.. and the others are what seem to triggier.. seems they are all green?! I really don't know.. and did kinda get offended by your post as you think I am avoiding because I don't want to get.like I am making this up or something.. BUT I went a month's time eating them every day, I DID WANT VEGGIES.. and I could not stop eating. I was hunger EVERY TIME after eating. and could not stop eating. I gained like 6 lbs at this time.. and was not losing at all. It was bad.
guess I will try to figure this out on my own.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-10, 10:49
Induction ≠ Atkins

Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I think finding out WHICH veggies trigger this is very important. To my knowledge, you always said it was broccoli, but I haven't heard you mention any others that cause you issues. Maybe it's something in the way they are prepared that is the trigger, and not the veggie itself? I don't know. Just throwing out ideas. There are all sorts of things that I can overeat on that are low carb legal, but I simply have to tell myself no. I can't continue to let the food win the mental battle. Changing my relationship with food was important as changing WHAT I was eating.

Everyone's plans are going to be different. What did you determine your CCL and CCM to be? Did you every do that? If not, you need to work that out before moving on.

For me, I make sure I get most of my carbs from vegetables, and not from other sources. This is how *I* feel my best. The entire point of OWL is to learn what works for you as an individual - which foods are triggers, which work really weall, and which need to go away entirely. You don't need to eat from every rung daily. You eat the foods that work for you and that you can maintain on. Unfortunately, none of us will relaly be able to tell you what that is for you.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-10, 15:25
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Hmmmm...so much here....

Quote:
How much do you add back in at a time?

By following OWL, you add in 5 grams of CHO per week from the rungs of the OWL ladder.

You will find the OWL sticky here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=409812

Quote:
I eat anywhere from 10-40 carbs a day..

It sounds like you have not determined what your CCL or CCM is. This is imperative for long term success IMO. If you don't know how much you can tolerate how do you know where to stop or....you may be able to have more CHO that is. To determine your CCL and CCM, go here:

Quote:
I dunno. I like broccoli, snap peas, sugar peas, green beans, lettuce, corn, potato, carrots most.. some of those I can not eat.. and the others are what seem to triggier.. seems they are all green?!

Many of these are higher glycemic load than others. did you follow OWL and add in ONE new item, 5 gram amount, at least 3 times a week to see if it triggered a negative response or did you try to add multiple things in at random times and in random quantities?

Go here for a detailed explanation as to how to add things in and to determine if they cause a resonse.

Quote:
BUT I went a month's time eating them every day, I DID WANT VEGGIES.. and I could not stop eating. I was hunger EVERY TIME after eating. and could not stop eating.

Again, sounds like you were eating multiple items with an undetermined quantity. When trying to figure out what REALLY causes triggers, go to this thread:

Quote:

Is the book right, you are more hungry after you are no longer in ketosis?

I'm not sure where in the book this is stated. Many people on Atkins NEVER achieve ketosis and go on to experience the hunger reducing affects of a LC WOE and reach their goals. I can say from personal experience that ketosis or no ketosis as long as eat within my CCL/CCM and stay away from problematic foods that I deterimed from carefully following the tenets of OWL I don't have a problem with hunger except for real hunger.

As you can see from my reply, everything really does come down to the principles learned in OWL (which always seems the phase that everyone wants to rush thru). By rushing thru OWL, this does a great dis-service to you by really not identifying those problematic foods.

For me, my CCL is about 30. My CCM about 40-60. I occasionally have big ticket days--to 100, but rarely. I eat mostly protein, veg, fats, small amount of fruit in the way of berries, a small measured amount of dairy. I will occasionally partake in corn (in the form of corn tortillas--hand made) or rice (wrapped around sushi). I don't care much for legumes so that is rare to none. Starchy veg--not interested. Wheat-never.

I'm sorry that this may not be the answer that you're seeking, but to figure out what individual foods cause you issue will be a huge reward in terms of weight maintenance in the end.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa