Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 02:50

Plan: either CAD/CALP or PP
Stats: 255/240/200 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Protein Bars

I saw on the general rules thread that:
Quote:
Protein shakes and bars are not allowed on this diet because of possible reaction to sugar alcohols.

Does anyone know if this is still the case or is there a bar now on the market that is suitable?
I fly a lot and I like to go hiking - these sorts of bars can be very useful as snacks in these circumstances.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 02:57

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

All shops brands have quite high carb contents and the majority use Malitol.

Funnily enough I used to stock up with JayBars which don't contain the latter and only have Agave syrup and xylitol with a whopping 24 g of Carbs per bar. Not only is the taste really good but I never suffered from insulin peaks or hunger with them. Beats me why ?

So, I decided to make my own protein bars for on the go meals only using Stevia, protein powder, cashew butter, coconut milk and vanilla.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 22:24

Plan: CAD
Stats: 141/138/124 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I'm new to CAD and still learning legal foods. But I wonder if Lara Bars would be suitable. They have no sugar alcohols but carbs are around 24 g.
Metta
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 01:20

Plan: either CAD/CALP or PP
Stats: 255/240/200 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metta
I'm new to CAD and still learning legal foods. But I wonder if Lara Bars would be suitable. They have no sugar alcohols but carbs are around 24 g.
Metta

Protein bars are not listed in the CAD book and if they are not listed they are not suitable for a complementary meal.
The way I read the CALP book is that 4g carb per normal serving size would be a max carb content for anything in the complementary side, so a snack protein bar with 24g would be way off the scale.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 08:29
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
there are no bars or shakes allowed on this plan, according to the Hellers. I think lots of people on Atkins got into difficulties eating these things, but this is a YMMV issue. Dr Eades now has a book out where he recommends a protein shake.

I don't eat bars or shakes, but I do have an emergency snack- I take it on vacations and flights and hikes. It is an ostrich meat stick- I think Ostrim- that netrition sells by the 10 pack. It has no sugar or carbs in the original flavor- and tastes like a slim jim to me. It is 80 calories- I think. You can look at other meat bars and meat jerky things. Just be careful about the sugars! I found one beef jerky that was not sugar treated, but it was a lot more expensive than the sticks.

HTH