Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-10, 11:06

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
But there has to be a point at which cancer can survive without a person consuming glucose in their diet.

I'm sure that is the case. Once it spreads to a certain point it just goes nuts. I know certain hormones also feed cancer cell growth. Not sure how that plays in to it.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-10, 11:28

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

i think that since glucose is glucose that ca can feed off what is produced by the liver.
of course it may not be the quanitity that would be available from eating sugar/starch but once ca takes hold it's tough to get rid of.
  #108   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-10, 04:31

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%

I am convinced that sugar is one reason for cancer. The reason is simply that sugar shuts down your innate immune system. And there is strong evidence that many cancer causing substances that everybody has floating around all and every day are routinely taken care of by the immune system. Shutting down your immune system is the first step to increase the chance that the cancer causing substances survive to do their nasty work. And fructose is the worst!

Another possibility is that free radicals damage of mitochondria is a cause of cancer. Could this be the reason for the Warburg effect? Burning glucose produces much more ROS inside the mitochondria than burning fat.

Guess there are many factors that come into play when it comes to cancer. But it seems logical to assume that every factor you can avoid helps.

And besides sugar : PUFA's (bad) and antioxidants (A,C,D) (good).
  #109   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-10, 04:41

Quote :
"The Innate immunity system constantly kills cancer cells inside our body. This is one of the reasons not all of us develop cancer. In collaboration between researchers from the Wake Forest University School of Medicine and the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research in New York, it was discovered that some of us have a better natural immune response to cancer cells than others. The scientists demonstrated on mice that those immune cells which are more effective in resisting cancer can be transferred from one animal to another."
  #110   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-10, 04:58
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Fructose Induces Transketolase Flux to Promote Pancreatic Cancer Growth
Quote:
Carbohydrate metabolism via glycolysis and the tricarboxylic acid cycle is pivotal for cancer growth, and increased refined carbohydrate consumption adversely affects cancer survival.
Traditionally, glucose and fructose have been considered as interchangeable monosaccharide substrates that are similarly metabolized, and little attention has been given to sugars other than glucose.
However, fructose intake has increased dramatically in recent decades and cellular uptake of glucose and fructose uses distinct transporters.
Here, we report that fructose provides an alternative substrate to induce pancreatic cancer cell proliferation.
Importantly, fructose and glucose metabolism are quite different; in comparison with glucose, fructose induces thiamine-dependent transketolase flux and is preferentially metabolized via the nonoxidative pentose phosphate pathway to synthesize nucleic acids and increase uric acid production.
These findings show that cancer cells can readily metabolize fructose to increase proliferation.
They have major significance for cancer patients given dietary refined fructose consumption, and indicate that efforts to reduce refined fructose intake or inhibit fructose-mediated actions may disrupt cancer growth.
Cancer Res; 70(15); 6368–76. ©2010 AACR.

I've added the highlighting.
  #111   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-10, 12:53

Gerry Taubes interviewed Dr Atkins 6 months before he died. At the time of the interview Dr. Atkins was NOT fat. That is what Gerry has said.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-10, 05:44
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy
Gerry Taubes interviewed Dr Atkins 6 months before he died. At the time of the interview Dr. Atkins was NOT fat. That is what Gerry has said.
Indeed the myth's relating to Atkins death have been mentioned here many times although we have strayed somewhat from the topic here OBITUARY: Dr Richard Mackarness R author of Eat Fat And Grow Slim full text free online here
I think
Evelyn Stefansson's preface to Dr. Richard MacKarness'
is worth reading.