Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 03:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress:

Saw the list, now that's scarey, toothpaste, medicines, envelopes and stamps, spices, lotions and creams???? At least it's not in deoderant!!!
They didn't put shampoo, now i've been sensitive to that for a while, have to use a ph soap to wash my hair!!
Guess i'll be using the old fresh lemons trick to clean my teeth from now on and getting fresh spices instead of packet ones...
Guess you guys didn't just invent fast food, you live the dream!!!
I still can't believe you didn't eat veggies!! LOL!!
So i guess the kitchen in your house was just the place you visited to use the microwave and make the coffee!!! I'm glad you've learned how to turn on a oven now though!!!
Now you need to buy a breadmaker so you can make your own! There's a scarey thought!! But it's cheaper than shop bread and there's nothing like warm bread straight from the oven...
I suppose our two cultures really don't know that much about each other, except what we see on telly, we always see american's eating big salads and fruit salads for desert, I thought it was only cops that ate takeaway and jelly doughnuts!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 09:30

Plan: none
Stats: 105/105/120 Female 5ft2inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Funny...when we had our house built the room I was least concerned with was the kitchen since I knew I'd never really use it....except for the microwave of course. I don't drink coffee so I never even used the kitchen for that. Now I use that stove everyday and I think sheeesh...I shoulda put a little more thought into the kitchen when we were building since its the room I use MOST now. I probably will end up with a breadmaker some day but for now I'm buying the gf stuff...expensive as it is.
I think most toothpastes are ok....you just have to check the brands...thats why its good to have that list. I use Tom's of Maines. Do you guys have that brand? Its all natural....no chemicals or anything. I did get really sick from my lotion though. I've had to change lotion, shampoo & conditioner and some cosmetics. Some people only worry about lipstick but I changed everything to gf just to be safe. When I thought I had candida I was going to the sauna everyday to detox. Sometimes I would feel bad after going and I think it was because my blush contained gluten and when I'd sweat it would get on my lips and into my mouth. Sometimes my mouth would start to tingle. I still use the sauna..but my any make-up I may have on is gf now. I notice a big improvement after changing shampoo too.
LOL...only the cops eating donuts and takeaway? Maybe I shoulda been a cop
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 10:08
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

See there goes another myth, all american's are supposed to live on coffee!!
Where as we brits prefer our tea!!
At least i knew to call them jelly doughnuts instead of jam!!, even if we spell things differently!!
We don't have half of the brands you guys are used to, i use colgate total, it doesn't say it contains any gluten but i've emailed the company just in case!!
My soal is dove, it ph balanced and i don't seem to have a problem, that i know of with that, but hey i'm the one who licks envelopes, so what do i know..
Costmetics are a problem though, i never even thought of those, we girls must have our necessities, i use revlon, max factor and some hypo allergic stuff so i'll have to check those out!!!, the hassel of finding those perfect shades again!!! ahhhh!!
I seem to have a problem with anti-bacterial household cleaner, maybe that's just me being sensitive to stuff right now though...
Feminine products are the worst though, the good one's with the gel!!! can not tolerate those anymore, having to step back in time to the old style, change every five seconds type, but the good thing is their cheap cos nobody want to buy them anymore!!
At the moment i'm scooping alternative sources of milks, can't drink cow's, can't use soy, tried coconut.. errrr!! next will be rice!! I have to have something in my tea, i do not move until i've had a cuppa in the morning.
I had a down thought today, when i go on holiday, i'm still going to have to do my own cooking!!!! I need to marry a chef!!
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 11:10

BF:

Well the problems with dairy are pretty normal for anyone whos got a gluten intolerance. Suppossedly it usually goes away after you heal..I know I'm sensitive to dairy right now. They say most of the sensitivities will go away once you get to feeling better...I'm hoping this is true. I have chemical sensitivities too... this is getting way better already but I still cant handle the perfumes...I have to hold my breath if I walk near someone with perfume.
Thats good that you're contacting the companys regarding their ingredients...I had to do that with all the make-up. The only one that had gluten was my blush. I use dove soap too...its never bothered me..same with lubriderm sensitive skin lotion. Because of the chemical sensitivities I use all chemical free cleaners and laundry dtergents that are dye and perfume free. This was one of the first symptoms I got 3 years ago so I changed alot of things a long time ago just knowing they bothered me. Don't feel bad about the envelope thing...LOL...stupid me everytime I paid my bills I'd end up in tears and sleeping for the rest of the day. It took me a whole 2 years to figure out why...DUH! I got really bad about paying my bills and everything would be late because I knew I would end up sick and I was scared of the pile of mail. Yeah...I laugh now..but at the time it was pretty traumatic!
Oh yeah be careful with the rice milks...alot of them have malt barley in them. Rice Dream writes in very small letters "contains gluten" on the back of the package...no where near the ingredients list. I got fooled by that. I can't wait till I gain more weight and can fit into all my clothes again! Of course I've got all new clothes since I've lost weight (any excuse to shop right) but I miss my "healthy" clothes. I am size zero now...and without a belt I'd be in trouble.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 11:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hey, just being out of work for this long make's me petrified of the pile of bills!! LOL, but at least i know not to lick the envelopes anymore, i did remember just now though!!! Brain fog seems to be fading a lot, which is great and i played with my little girl in the garden earlier for a while, she's three, so she was thrilled mummy came outside!!
I'm going to start working on her diet next, gluten allergies are supposed to be inherited, so until she's old enough to do her own thing, i'd better learn to change her fav cookie and cake recipes around to gf.
Thanks for the milk tip, what milk do you use then??
A belt with everything??? LOL you wait, you'll get better and wish you had kept some pounds off, still, again, another excuse to shop!!!
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 12:18

BF:

LOL...yeah my mom keeps telling me I'll one day wish to be this thin again..I don't think so!!! For me THIN IS NOT IN!!! LOL....I'm probably the only girl in history to have ever said those words!
How long have you been off work? Its been 21 months all together for me now...I'm suppossed to be going back in a few weeks. I was in such bad shape before changing my diet that I messed up my credit because I just didn't care about paying my bills...I really didn't care about anything cuz I was too sick. Luckily now that I have my mind back I was able to get everything straightened out and I'm back to my responsible self. If I ever mess up anything again...I guess I can always say "The gluten made me do it!" Ha-Ha.
Right now I'm using almond milk or rice milk...they both say gluten free on the carton. I dont know what other foods I might be sensitive to...if any...so I'm avoiding the common allergens like dairy, soy, yeast, and egg. I got some gluten in me on monday so I'm still recovering...when I feel great again I'll introduce those foods one at a time to see if theres any problems. I'm actually taking a test for yeast and egg so that'll eliminate any questions I have there.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 14:16
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

You know the old saying mum's know best!! so don't speak too soon!
I've been off work for nearly a year! I miss working soo much, don't get me wrong, i hate being tied to the constant of work, but i loved having something to do, somewhere to go, and money!!! God, do i miss money!!
Our benefits system is really bad here, i'm still fighting to claim a disability premium, i'm actually at appeal on monday!! Now that gives me a reason to get out of bed, fighting the goverment!! Ha!
My credits in the toilet right now, bank loan, credit cards, car loan, store cards, all the things i enjoyed having a good job have turned to bite me in the butt, especially when you add on the cost of living.. it truely sucks, as you would say!!
I tell you, when i get better and go back to work i'm gonna pay off all my credit and NEVER get anything on credit again. From now on if i can't afford it, i'm going to save for it!!! Plus a little more in case i'm outta work again.
Don't get me wrong though, i'm going to make sure i enjoy each and every day, i thought i was going to die when this happened, makes you realise how much there is left to do and how you just let things slide you by.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 15:21

BF:

I know what you mean about missing work. Alot of people think it must be fun to have so much time off...its not when you're sick and struggling. I miss the normalcy of going to work and being around people. Its gets boring and lonely after awhile. For the first year I was actually getting paid more than if I were working. Now I'm getting less but since I'm not commuting back and forth everyday...I'm saving the money on gas so it kind of balances out I guess. I'm afraid when I go back to work....gas prices are crazy here in the U.S....its enough to make a person go broke!
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 15:58
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I think everything is a little crazy out there at the moment what with the storm and all, it's a truely terrible thing. And we think we have problems, we may not have our health but at least we've got our house, families and stuff right??..
Work pays the bills, that's the upside, i'm gonna miss my kids when i finally go back, but not that much!!!
I've been checking out all the gluten free sites i can find, their manly U.S and australia related, our nhs has a small bit on it, but as you can imagine not a lot, I mean we only got dishwashers over here in the mainstream in the ninties, how can we expect our health service to catch up that quickly.
It pretty interesting reading, and pretty scarey too, some of the complications of not following the diet or getting diagnosed late is pretty bad.
Still, if we feel better after only a short time and stay on the diet it's still a new lease of life...
As for work, we'll be back there a week and wondering how soon we can book our first holiday i'm guessing..!!!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 16:59

BF:

LOL..so true...probably after a couple days back at work I'll be like is it the weekend yet? No dishwashers until the nineties? Woah! I'm not really up to speed on what its like in other countries but I just thought dishwashers were everywhere...we've always had one my whole life.
Yeah...our problems are nothing compared to whats going on in New Orleans right now. I'm not watching too much news....I get emotional and cry...its very depressing.
The complications of not following the diet are definately enough to keep me focused. Some people actually have no symptoms whatsoever and only get tested because of the genetic factor...someone in their family has it. All of a sudden they're told they have to be gluten free for life and they don't get any symptoms from eating it but yet they have total destruction of their small intestine. I think it would be great to not get symptoms but then again...how would you know if you're getting some damage by accident? Awareness here is getting better I think...some restaraunts have gluten free menus. I have these little restaraunt cards that explain what I can eat and how the food has to be prepared and all that. They come in different languages...so if I'm at a chinese restaraunt I can pull out my chinese card. Pretty cool...but I wont be using them for awhile.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 04:40
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Maybe people should look into opening resturants that are gluten free, or gluten and dairy free, they would make a fortune, maybe someone could suggest it to macdonalds!!, i live in hope!!
No, i'm not the emtotional type, until all this started now i can look at a news story and just burst into tears, i came across the news of the storms and what had happened on my home web page and couldn't stop crying... that's definately not me!!!
I'm not sure if i'm having withdrawel from gluten symptoms today or not, i was really light headed this morning when i woke up and boy did my bowel have fun for about two hours!!!
This is what? day three for me i think, so i guess i gotta expect some kind of kick in the pants right??
Did you have withdrawal??
And the acidophillus doesn't appear to be doing it's job so well anymore, the first few weeks my tongue was clear and now it's started to coat up again, it come's off with brushing, but it's just really annoying, i've increased the amount i'm taking in the hope that it does something..
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 10:05

BF:

I did have a worsening of symptoms for I think a week or less and then I started feeling really good. I don't know if its withdrawl or what...alot of people seem to experience it though. When I started (I consider the start of my candida diet as the beginning of going gluten free even though I wasnt aware at the time) I felt very nauseaus in the morning with lots of loose stools. I got lightheaded and was extremely tired. I was already practically on my death bed before changing my diet so during these days I thought I was dying for sure. All of a sudden I had massive chemical sensitivities...this was the craziest thing to ever have happened to me....I thought I might have to live in a bubble. Thank God it only lasted 3 days. I think it was during my second week that all of a sudden I had energy and my depression was gone..I started cleaning my house and doing yardwork...nobody could believe it. It was like a miracle. I keep a food/symptom diary so I can really see the changes I've made...it helps me to try and figure out what foods might bother me too. I've been doing this since January...when I was still eating normal food. When I read back that far...OMG...Its scary what I was going through back then. Well I felt really good the first few weeks on the Candida diet...like I was healing and I had endless energy. When I started with all the supplements and antifungals is when I went downhill...also I bought some Spelt bread cuz people said it was ok for candida diet (it even said on the package it was great for those on candida diet)...I ate the bread for a few days and got even worse. Now I know that Spelt bread has gluten and so do the supplements but before I just thought I'd fed the yeast and I was real angry at myself. I never really got back to feeling like I did those first to few weeks cuz I continued with the supplements. I only got diagnosed on Aug. 15th and at least twice now I've gotten gluten by accident...I'm still learning and its hard. The last time was this past Monday...I get bad symptoms for a few days...my stools start changing and I can tell I'm not absorbing very much. This is when I'll lose weight easily. As I start to feel better my stools start looking more healthy and I'll feel like I'm absorbing...gaining some lbs. back. It takes 2 weeks or more to recover from one incident I think. When I get all the way better it shouldn't be so bad if I mess up but right now its like I'm back at square one and the healing is just beginning all over. I get frusterated cuz I want to get better overnight...I'm impatient (aren't we all).
OMG...as far as the emotions go. Well anyone who knows me will say that I'm totally unemotional (when I was healthy). I very rarely cried. The entire time I was sick...EVERYTHING made me cry...I was overly-sensitive and things easily hurt my feelings. I'd overreact to everything. I was constantly depressed. It was hard for me to be this completely different person who had no control of her emotions. Now I'm kind of back to my old self as far as that goes...not 100% but I'm definately not crying everyday. I also couldnt read or write during that time...I wasnt able to retain any information...brainfog was horrible. All of the stuff affecting my brain cleared up right away...the dpression, fog, memory loss...it was better in one week. Then the aches and pains went away. The only problems I have now are the absorption ones...and some symptoms I think are related to vitamin/mineral deficiencies. I get bloated...have fluid retention...too many stools....this is what I've been dealing with since Monday...but each day is getting better.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 05:28

Plan: CAD
Stats: 195/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I was taking antibiotics for acne as a teenager, and now I have lived with problems for around 18 years. I think if you have yeast you know it, because the back of your tongue is white and certain intimate places itch. The problem is that yeast symptoms and other types of problems mimic eachother, so it is hard to always guess whether it is a yeast problem or some other type of problem.