Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 10:36

Plan: mixed
Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress:
Default induction

How important is induction? And, how strict does one have to be? For example, what if I eat more salad a greens? Can I have berries at all during ind?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 10:55

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Do you have a copy of Dr Atkin's New Diet Revolution?

If not do pick up a copy and read the induction section. For those first two weeks you have a VERY limited selection of foods. They are there for a reason....to detox your system and help with food cravings. So if a food is not on that list....it IS NOT allowed during those first two weeks.

Berries are not included. You are allowed 3 cups of salad and fixings, or 2 cups of salad and 2/3 cup of cooked veggies. Veggies are selective of course to the low carb type. No corn, no carrots, no peas, no potatoes.

Before starting any diet, I would highly recommend you READ the book before starting out. I mean you wouldn't drive from where you live across country without having an idea of which roads to take would you?

I also notice you haven't picked a plan yet. This isn't mix and match. All low carb diets differ and have different results. In order not to cause damage to your system I would advice you pick one and stick to it.

There is a quick link section to your right called : Which low-carb plan is right for me? I would recommend you start there and figure out which diet sounds like the one you can stick with
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 11:14

BF:
Progress:
Default induction

Guess my question was unclear. I have read the book and am trying to do the induction phase. Sometimes people have differing experiences with diets. I wondered whether anyone had been a bit more relaxed about amounts of salad, etc. in this phase, as I am having a very hard time limiting salad, for example, to 3 cups...
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 11:20

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Beginner!

I guess it helps if you look at the Atkins WOE not so much as a diet - but rather as a "methodical process".

It is recommended that during the initial 2 weeks, that you really don't deviate from the plan. It is such an important time of detoxification, re-setting metabolism, getting rid of excess water weight, etc etc, that it's difficult for many of us to say "oh go ahead, eat more carbs" This process will result in your body turning to body fat as fuel INSTEAD of carbs. So to eat more carbs, defeats the purpose. Your body will just continue to rely on carbs for energy and not its own stored fuel.

If you get hungry on induction there are so many things you can eat to satiate your appetite, that additional servings of veggies isn't necessary. If you really LOVE salads, then you are going to be amazing when it comes to the next stages of Ongoing Weight Loss, and Pre-Maintenance.

Good luck, it's only 2 weeks (although it CAN seem longer ) Hang in there - you'll do great.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:00

BF:
Progress:
Default induction

I appreciate all the help. I would love any suggestions anyone has on how to get through induction. Suggestions on things to eat. I am afraid I am eating nuts and cheese more than I should but I feel very low energy and hve to work a lot this week.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:08

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there beginner....

You've had some great replies here already!

Sponge has hit the nail on the head: <i>"It is recommended that during the initial 2 weeks, that you really don't deviate from the plan. It is such an important time of detoxification, re-setting metabolism, getting rid of excess water weight, etc etc,..."</i>

Yes, induction is important. If you follow it closely, you will experience the benefits it's meant to give you, one of which is a loss of hunger and cravings.

It's just two weeks, and in the big scheme of things, that's not much time. Are you worth a two week commitment to yourself?

Marlaine
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 21:13

BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

Thanks for all your help! One more question, if you don't mind. Are there unlimited amounts of protein? I remember trying the Zone diet and we were supposed to limit the size of protein portions. I find that I am snacking on chicken, eggs and cheese, throughout the day. Is that ok? I just don' t know how to get by without snacks because the induction diet makes me feel a bit weak. But I feel like I am eating huge amounts of fattening foods (eggs, cheese -- only 4 oz, I know-- and chicken -- not just the white meat. ) Hard to get used to!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 23:28

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Induction according to Atkins

The Rules of Induction

* You may eat pure protein (meat, fish and shellfish, poultry, eggs) and pure fats (butter, olive oil, mayonnaise).
* Eat no more than 20 grams of carbohydrates a day in the form of salad and other vegetables, such as asparagus, broccoli and kale.
* Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter.
* Eat out as often as you wish. Just be alert to hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings.
* Eat no food not specifically allowed.
* Aspartame may stimulate insulin production; avoid it and foods containing it.
* Check the carb content of all foods you are unsure about with a carbohydrate gram counter.
* Caffeine stimulates the production of insulin, so avoid regular coffee, tea and cola drinks.
<b>* Eat the amount of food that makes you feel satisfied, but not stuffed. If you’re not hungry, eat nothing or have a small protein snack to accompany your supplements.</b>

There is the answer to your question!
Hope this helps.
Marlaine