Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149/145/140
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Induction question....

I'm off to a good start: I joined this site; I've posted and replied; and I've started the journal. My whole day has been devoted to reading and searching this site.......whew!
Now I think I've already made a mistake (no problem!). I chose a salad dressing that I liked.......thought it was okay until I saw in the Atkins book that it only had "oil plus vinegar or lemon juice and spices". Here's my favorite dressing and what the label says. Please let me know if it's okay:
Brand name: Annie's Naturals - Goddess Dressing
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 90 Fat Cal 70
Total Fat 8g 13%
Sat Fat 1g 6%
Sodium 310 mg 13%
Total Carb 3g 1%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protien Less than 1g

Ingredients: Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Water, Tahini Cider Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Lemon Juice, Sea Salt, Garlic, Toasted Sesame Seeds, Parsley, Chives, Xanthan Gum (whatever THAT is!)
It also says NO ADDED SWEETNER.

It sounded okay to be, but I want to make sure.

Plus, is there anything that I have to measure?

Well, I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions, but that's it for now.

Hope you all have a fun, safe and LoCol New Year!!!!!!!!
Janet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 20:43
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

It sounds ok to me...but how much did you have of it....That's where my problem comes in on dressings.
I would have used it...but I'm new at this...sometimes people ask questions...that I'm looking for an answer too...and didn't even know to ask it yet. Now I can't wait to see peoples answers...and the answeres will come...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 20:54
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Cheryl! I love this list...........so many helpeful people! I'm glad that you wrote, even if you are new, too. I didn't measure the dressing. Next time I'll do that. I'm beginning to see where I'm going to have to do that *drats*......otherwise how will I know how many grams I'm eating....dah!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm anxious, too, to see what response I get. Have you seen anything about salt intake?

Happy New Year, dear............Janet
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 20:57

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default SALAD DRESSING

I would have eaten it too!! I don't see a problem, just ensure you watch how much you eat and remember to count the carbs. You will find salad dressings that have fewer carbs, and especially during induction you might prefer to have your carbs for something else.

Cheryl is right, almost every question that is asked is being wondered by someone else.

By asking and reading you'll soon have this figured out.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 12:02
Living LaVita LoCarb

I haven't heard that much about salt yet. I don't add salt when I eat...but I drink soda water...it has 40mg of salt per servings...and I drink at least 16 servings..which is about 640 mg of salt a day. Every once in awhile someone gets on me for drinking so much carbinated water...but, it's my only vice now. I gave up soda years ago...I don't drink any other drinks...except for decaf coffee in the morning...so the carbinated water stays. When I gave it up for a week...I got dehydrated....I can't drink enough regular water.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 02:21
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Soda Water

Hi Cheryl,

I have been reading though the questions in the Newbies section and saw this from you on Soda Water. I was drinking about 2 lites a day, and started retaining water terribly and my weight went up. I'm experimenting by taking things out and adding back in to see what the culprit is.

I'm curious if you finding drinking the Soda Water impacts you?

Thanks
Kim
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 06:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Janet, it's very easy to start making your own dressings, then you know what is in them. I whip up new ones almost every night. Here are some examples:

2 tbsp safflower oil, 1 tbsp vinegar, a dash of tarragon. It has a sweet taste.

(I like the 2 to 1 combo of oil and vinegar, but you can adjust to your taste)

For creamy dressings:

2 tbsp of mayo or Miracle Whip if you don't mind the bit of extra sugar in it, 2 tbsp of oil, 1 tbsp of vinegar, is the base for it. Then it can be enhanced with any of the following:
1 teaspoon of dijon mustard or
italian seasonings or
basil or
crushed garlic or
tarragon....you get the idea

For Canadain members, Renees salad dressings are pretty good and safe. There are no nutritional values on the label, but if you go to their site at http://www.renees.com/default2.asp there is a section that lists the nutritional values.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 09:41
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you sooooooooo much, Angela!

I am so grateful for the recipes I know there are some great ones in the kitchen, but I just haven't had time to really get in there a nose around......plus I've run out of printer paper I need to get some today.

Thank you for looking back in the "newbies" section. Speaking for all "newbies" (which I have no right to do, by the way), we appreciate all the help we can get

Have a great one....bye now
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 07:38

Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question CREAM for coffee QUESTION?????

I have enjoyed reading about the dressings and carb waters etc. A question I still have and still am wondering about?????

I was using Half and Half for my coffee because the label read 2 Tablespoons 1 carb. Then I was told on this forum that the Heavy Whipping Cream is the best for this diet, however, the label reads you can have only 1 Tablespoon for 1 carb.

So, I still don't understand why I would use the heavy cream when it has more carbs?????????????????????? HELP!!!

Hopefully, someone will read this and help me understand ?

Janet how are you doing? I lost 5.5 pounds the first week and now I am losing nothing on the scales. I sure hope I am losing inches, since the dang scales have just STOPPED dead in their tracks!

JO Ann in TEXAS
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 16:58
Living LaVita LoCarb

Kim...I don't know how the carbinated water is affecting me...I've drank it for so long. I tried to switch a few weeks ago..and I got dehydrated from not drinking enough water. I don't add salts to my food...so I figured it should be ok. I drink like 3 or 4 32 oz bottles a day...which isi the same is 3 or 4 liters. I also drink decaf coffee most mornings...no other liquids.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 19:16
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Jo Ann!

Thank you for asking! Had a wonderful day with my LC friend ....went to Las Vegas and had brunch in a Low Carb store that has a little restaurant (2 tables & a bar area) and had a great lunch....cheese nachos (w/ special lo carb chips) - 9 grams! It was yummy! Then we went shopping and to a movie...Lord of The Rings! It was wonderful! We had such fun "playing" and lo carbing it! We also went to El Pollo Loco for dinner.....that was yummy, too!

I'm not going to weigh myself again until next Sunday........I need to stay off the scale right now. I can tell by looking at my body and the way my clothes are fitting now to know that this is working

I made some cod tonight.....dipped it in egg and rolled it in almond flour...fried it in butter. I found out later from my LC friend that I really shouldn't do that now because I didn't realize that the package said per oz. I just "floured" away. Again, I wasn't paying attention........but that's ok! A multitude of water covers some sins! So I'll be floating tonight!

I really am getting the hang of this and loving it! And I'm glad we're all doing it together

Bye for now.......I want to get some reading time in........just came in from a walk (that felt good, too!)
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 19:26

Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Howdy Janet!

Keep up the good work! I too am going to keep on hanging in there. However, I am not feeling any less of me yet??? Hopefull, one day soon, I will be able to say that.
I have lost a total of 6 pounds in 11 days. I hope now, I will be losing some inches, even though the scales have kinda come to a hault.
Jo Ann in TEXAS