Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 17:46
Registered Member

Plan: Semi low carb
Stats: 70/68/58 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question LCing and allergy meds?

Hi,
It is finally spring here in Ontario, and my allergies have moved in. Does anyone know if over the counter allergy meds affect weightloss? I will have to take something and wondering if any one is a better choice than others.
Sharon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 19:05
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile

hi Kell,

Your post was hiding out in the nether regions of the LC Health & Technical main forum ... I've moved it here to the General Health area .. AND ... I answered this question for the most part in another thread here.

Generally, OTC antihistamines or decongestants will not affect weight loss. Decongestants will make you very dry and thirsty though, so lots of water.

Here in Canada, we can get Claritin OTC, and it's my favourite .. non-drowsy, no jitters, works great and fast too.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 20:19
Registered Member

BF:
Red face Ooopps & Thanks

I do appreciate the move Doreen, and thanks for answering the question on OTC meds. I will go to the pharmacy with less angst. I suffer from a bout of allergies here at home then go to the cottage and start all over again.
Sharon
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 07:57

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I take both Claritin and Flonase and I haven't had any difficulty losing so far. Good luck to you.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 06:07
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Update on allergies

I haven't been to the pharmacy yet! I was pretty stuffed up last weekend and had my typical scratchy throat and itchy eyes. I recognize that as allergies immediately and usually start looking for my Reactine.
I decided to ask about the meds here on the board, and it took a few days to get a response (my fault ), and the symptoms seemed to be less severe so I didn't bother to get anything. My allergies symptoms are so mild I have decided to just leave things alone. I may well need something later (May is usually a nasty month for me) but for now I am happy.
I have been reading up on Potassium and saw one mention that proper amounts may help with allergies...there was no research cited to back this up so who knows.
I will update in a month and let you know if I have been able to kick the allergy meds this spring. This could be the highlight of this WOL for me!

Last edited by kellcinn : Sat, Apr-20-02 at 06:12.