Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 21:27
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%
Default msnbc Donahue and the Good Doctor

Saw the show tonight on msnbc with Phil Donahue and Dr. Atkins. I must commend his sense of humor, I thought he handled the interview with candor. Even my DH was watching and got a kick out of it.... it amused me that he ( my DH) was totally interested and watched it with me... he is absolutely thin, but eats a lo carb diet because that is what I feed him... and tonight he thanked me, because he realized that my insistance that he forgo the cookies, toast, sandwich bread, and potatoes, is the reason his cholesterol has come down and why he feels so much better! Ahhhh~ sweet success! Thanks Doc!
O'suzana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 08:59
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know about anyone else, but I got a real kick out of Dr. Atkins' advising to "hide under the bed" in response to an issue about hormone therapies (ie. HRT, BCP) creating medical weight problems for women. My dog thought I was nuts ROFL with no one in the house!

I really enjoyed the show. It's amazing how much respect he's getting all of a sudden.

Last edited by wcollier : Fri, Jan-31-03 at 09:36.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 09:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Re: msnbc Donahue and the Good Doctor

Quote:
Originally posted by osuzana
Saw the show tonight on msnbc with Phil Donahue and Dr. Atkins. I must commend his sense of humor, I thought he handled the interview with candor. Even my DH was watching and got a kick out of it.... it amused me that he ( my DH) was totally interested and watched it with me... he is absolutely thin, but eats a lo carb diet because that is what I feed him... and tonight he thanked me, because he realized that my insistance that he forgo the cookies, toast, sandwich bread, and potatoes, is the reason his cholesterol has come down and why he feels so much better! Ahhhh~ sweet success! Thanks Doc!
O'suzana

Osuz...great to see ya back and thanks for the report...missed the show...B
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 09:11

BF:
Default RE: Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by wcollier
I don't know about anyone else, but I got a real kick out of Dr. Atkins' advising to "hide under the bed" in response to an issue about hormones therapies (ie. HRT, BCP) creating medical weight problems for women. My dog thought I was nuts ROFL with no one in the house!

I really enjoyed the show. It's amazing how much respect he's getting all of a sudden.

Can you elaborate on his opinion about "Hormone therapies"..thanks...B
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 09:55
Mad Scientist

BF:
Default Hormone Therapies

Hi Bonnie:

There wasn't really much said. Basically, a caller asked him why her weight had stalled, then mentioned that she was on Birth Control pills. In response, Dr. Atkins stated that the synthetic hormones (HRT or BCP) will stall weight loss and that it's one of the greatest iatrogenic [my words] reasons for weight gain in women. Iatrogenic means an unfavorable response to medical treatment that is induced by the therapeutic effort itself. He then said the only thing he could recommend is to "hide under the bed". Between the lines, the message was "I don't know what to tell you in half a minute on a TV call-in show".

Now if anyone is interested about natural HRT, here's more info on his site about this issue:
Estrogen & Metabolic Resistance.

I know when I was on BCP, I would gain 4 pounds when on the pills and then lose them when I stopped for the 4th week.

Last edited by wcollier : Fri, Jan-31-03 at 09:58.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 10:04
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I thought is was the most non-combative presentation of the WOE I have seen in an interview.

The one thing that really gets me though... is a young man was asking about how no veggies are allowed in the first two weeks and he didn't even broach that. He picked another part of the question to respond to.

I do think that is a major issue that people have with the plan that is SO MISUNDERSTOOD and just plain wrong!

But overall I thought it was a favorable interview.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 10:09

BF:
Default Re: Hormone Therapies

Quote:
Originally posted by wcollier
Hi Bonnie:

There wasn't really much said. Basically, a caller asked him why her weight had stalled, then mentioned that she was on Birth Control pills. In response, Dr. Atkins stated that the synthetic hormones (HRT or BCP) will stall weight loss and that it's one of the greatest iatrogenic [my words] reasons for weight gain in women. Iatrogenic means an unfavorable response to medical treatment that is induced by the therapeutic effort itself. He then said the only thing he could recommend is to "hide under the bed". Between the lines, the message was "I don't know what to tell you in half a minute on a TV call-in show".

Now if anyone is interested about natural HRT, here's more info on his site about this issue:
Estrogen & Metabolic Resistance.

I know when I was on BCP, I would gain 4 pounds when on the pills and then lose them when I stopped for the 4th week.

Thanks wcollier ..B
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 10:36
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by lkonzelman
The one thing that really gets me though... is a young man was asking about how no veggies are allowed in the first two weeks and he didn't even broach that. He picked another part of the question to respond to.

Hi Lisa:

I don't see a transcript on Donahue's website, but I will post it here went they add it. Was that the little boy, you mean, talking about his dad's heart attack?

I sometimes get frustrated watching Dr. Atkins' interviews as well. I guess he's been fighting for 30 years and he must get very weary of it all. Plus, he has to keep it simple. Anyway, the points had already been made (ie. the veggies were all discussed by Donahue in his list of foods you can eat), but it's amazing how stupid people can be. They just don't listen!!! He did get some good digs in. Particularly to those who talked about "going off the diet". In response to Rush Limbaugh saying you gain weight quicker when you go off "the diet" and the other man in the audience mentioning how he gained his weight back after losing.

I also liked that Dr. Stuart Trager was with him on the show. Another doctor living the LC WOE as well as a triathalete? Wow! That was really good. He should accompany Atkins on interviews (after all, he is a consultant to the Atkins Center).

Wanda
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 12:39
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

I was hoping to hear lots of feed back on this, and so far so good. Thanks everybody, I'm glad we all got to watch. I rarely get to see him for one reason or another, so I made it a point to see this show... I have been an advocate of his since the 70's and I have been on and off his plan many times in the past...I never stuck to it even though it worked and I felt better than ever, I was always nervous because of the criticism (SP?) of the diet, and everyone always telling me it was a bad plan.... I was never thinner then I was, back when I used his plan religiously either!
So for all the family and friends and people who were nay sayers to me and thought I was nuts! Guess what! For some reason I held onto my beliefs, and for years I knew that this man was onto something.
The proof came to me in 1982 when I was expecting my 2nd BB and the doctor put me on a high protein diet because I always would develope gestational diabetes. Well it made all the difference, had a normal pregnancy no diabetes,and a normal sized baby. Since then I have always been hoping that someday this Good Doctor would be proven to be correct. That day has finally come. ~~~~~ Osuzana

PS Hi Bonnie ~ Yes I'm back! ~ O'Suz
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 17:17

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

I am also a big fan of atkins. i just him. It was one of the best interviews with Atkins that i have ever seen. He actually got to speak without being interrupted.

and... i had a lightbulb moment about the birth control pill issue. He said that they can make you gain weight and stall weight. So, tomorrow i am taking my last pill since TOM is next week.

Don't worry, I have nothing to worry about since unfortunatley i have not been "getting any" lately.

Lisa