Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-13, 22:12

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Wow, FowlFiend! This is exactly what I've been dealing with! It gets WAY worse as soon as the weather heats up here and no amount of water seems to relieve the symptoms. In fact, like you, they get worse with more water! After reading your post, I decided to drink some sodium bicarbonate a couple of times today and see what happens. My feet are so swollen that I can't wear my most of my shoes. I posted for months about this in my journal and also recently started a thread about fluid retention. SOOO sick of this!
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-13, 11:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I have been doing some experimenting with salt, and find that I seem to do better - for the moment anyway - with a lower salt intake. My blood pressure went up rather alarmingly with more salt, and is back down again now. For anyone interested, I have made some notes in my journal: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...92&postcount=27

These are just comments on what I experienced, and are in no way meant as suggestions that others shouldn't up their salt. However they may be viewed as suggestions that not all of us are the same, and that if one isn't feeling well doing something (more salt in my case) it is worthwhile experimenting to find out what the problem is.
  #213   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-13, 10:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Good article from Maria Mind Body Health about salt:
Quote:
SALT and ENERGY

When clients first adapt this lifestyle, one of the first side effects is a rapid improvement in insulin sensitivity. Eating low carb starts to banish insulin resistance and causes insulin levels to fall quickly. And as insulin falls, the kidneys begin to promptly release fluid. One common complaint I get from clients when they first adopt this lifestyle is that they are up in the middle of the night urinating more than usual. I explain that this will go away eventually and it is good, but there is some bad news that comes along with it. The good news is that when you release that excess fluid, fat oxidation becomes easier. The bad news is as the extra water goes; it also removes essential sodium and electrolytes. When sodium levels fall below a certain level, which can happen quite fast, there are some undesired side effects such as headaches, low energy, dizziness and cramping. When you first start your well-formulated low carb lifestyle and you notice if you stand up quickly and get dizzy or feel faint, you are dehydrated! Just drinking water isn’t going to work like is would with a high carbohydrate diet. You need to add more sodium! You can add more salt to your food, drink bone broth or take sodium tablets. Salt is not the evil nutrient that your doctor warns you about. You’ve got to start thinking differently. Just like understanding that eating more fat lowers your cholesterol, understanding that a well-formulated low carb diet requires more a lot more sodium.

FUN FACT: A small fast food milk shake has more sodium in it than fast food French fries and you wouldn’t even know it because of all the sugar.

My favorite way for clients to get more sodium is to consume homemade bone broth. This is so easy to make, you can even do it in a slow cooker! Bone broth not only helps with getting sodium, but you also get a ton of minerals and electrolytes. Commercial broth will not have these benefits. It takes a few days to make, but I often make a huge batch in a pot that Craig had to make home brew (this was years ago… yes, we have come a long way in our journey) and I freeze it in small containers, it keeps it forever.

1. Even if you don’t have any side effects like edema or headaches, you will need extra water and sodium. Eliminating all packaged foods eliminates a lot of sodium from your diet. Also this diet doesn’t have a lot of liquids in the foods so you will want to drink at least half your body weight in ounces.

2. If you get the fierce headaches that some people get when starting on a low-carb diet, add sodium. And drink extra water.

3. If you really don’t want to make your own bone broth, you can use store bought bouillon, but please watch for MSG and gluten. Not all brands are healthy. Bouillon has a lot of sodium and tastes really good as a hot drink and can eliminate carbohydrate cravings.

4. In addition to drinking broth, I suggest you get some Celtic Sea Salt. Himalayan Salt will also work. Throw out your typical store bought salt and replace it with these. After a few months of using this salt, if you go to a relative’s house or a restaurant with regular table salt, it will taste “chemically.”

5. Don’t use these salts sparingly. These salts have been harvested either from ancient sea beds or made by evaporating sea water with high mineral content and contain about 70% of the sodium of regular salt (which has been refined, bleached and processed until it is pretty much pure sodium chloride, often with anti-caking agents added). The other 30% is other minerals and micronutrients (including iodine) found in mineral-rich seas. I greatly prefer these salts taste-wise to regular salt, it is well worth the extra bucks. Do not mistakenly use Morton’s “sea salt” which is devoid of iodine and nutrients.
  #214   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-13, 10:48

BF:

"1. Even if you don’t have any side effects like edema or headaches, you will need extra water and sodium. Eliminating all packaged foods eliminates a lot of sodium from your diet. Also this diet doesn’t have a lot of liquids in the foods so you will want to drink at least half your body weight in ounces."

Sounds like my whole summer this year. Decided to track my sodium today and I didn't even hit 1,000. Not good, but adding more didn't make much difference in the swelling. Of course, I was sweating like crazy this summer, started a running program and upped my non-GMO soy intake this summer. So, it's hard to tell what has caused this awful swelling. It does seem to be decreasing some, since this past week was actually cool enough to not sweat, most of the time.
  #215   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-13, 14:00
Experimenter

BF:

Do you take any medications, including OTC? NSAIDs make me swell up and retain water.
  #216   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-13, 21:01

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Lugols solution, two drops a day. Cures what ails you.
  #217   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 04:18

BF:

Quote:
I started Armour back in July and am up to 3 grains now. I feel a TON better and my face looks normal again. I had the energy to start and finish the Couch to 5K too. The swelling dropped by 5 pounds pretty quickly after starting, but hasn't moved much since then. Otherwise, I take Allegra as needed. I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't a huge crap storm of circumstances that caused me to gain nearly 20 pounds in 2 weeks with NO dietary changes. Probably a food sensitivity, have had MAJOR allergy issues this summer, not drinking enough water for the hot summer we had (with no central heat and air), vitamin and mineral imbalance, obesity in general, genetics (mother has congestive heart failure but was triggered by drug use), mother and brother also have fatty liver disease (also triggered by alcohol and drug abuse), and maybe hormones because I'm still breastfeeding my 1 year old. SOOOO many symptoms I had went away after starting Armour, so I was very disappointed when all the fluid didn't just drop off too. It's amazing how fast my face slimmed down, though.

This what I posted on my fluid retention thread.

I've never heard of Lugols solution, KDH. What is that?
  #218   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 08:14
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:

It is iodine.

However, taking iodine is not a quick fix, unless you're lacking iodine. In fact, it can be like throwing kerosene on a fire if you've got hashimoto's thyroiditis.

The thyroid suggestion is a good idea though. Time to get that checked out and make sure your levels are not just in-range, but optimal.

http://stopthethyroidmadness.com
  #219   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 08:55

BF:

I've heard that the thyroid has to work a lot harder in hot weather, so lots of women here are not diagnosed until summer, when the come in due to severe fluid retention. I've noticed that has happened for the last three summers, although last year was a bit better, after I delivered my baby. Isn't 3 grains kind of a high dose already? I don't have any side effects or symptoms of hyperthyroid, so I assume it's not too high. I do seem to sweat more, which is actually a good thing. However...I'm wondering if the extra sweating was/is increasing my dehydration. I have to say that it makes me cry when I think of how long I suffered, being barely within range and not treated. It just got worse with each pregnancy.
  #220   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 15:21

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME

It's an iodine supplement.

http://www.amazon.com/J-CROWS%C2%AE...5/dp/B001PN3BUW

I truly believe iodine deficiency is a horrible and growing problem, exacerbated (as usual) by what we are told to eat and not eat. I honestly notice a difference when I forget for a few days in a row. My brain fogs up slightly.
  #221   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-13, 22:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Free 2 be me-- gosh I thought the post preg effects was a decreas in thyroid funtion. No??

I use salt with iodine-- well I was until I switched to kosher salt. Guess I better use both.
  #222   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-13, 19:47

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Oh, how I wish I could have known all this 2 years ago!

I had hurt my shoulder in a fall more than a year earlier and it wasn't healing. So I went to the doc to see if there were some exercises or something I could do. That morning I had massive diarrhea and it was a hot day. I drank a ton of water to avoid getting dehydrated. Before I could explain the shoulder pain to the doctor, I fainted. I was taken by ambulance to the ER - literally just across the parking lot.

Between the shoulder pain and the faint, my doctor thought I was having a heart attack. I thought I was dying, too, I don't think I've ever felt that bad.

After all was said and done, it was too much water and not enough salt and other goodies we all need. The bills were huge - and me with no health insurance.

It took me 1 1/2 years to pay off the ambulance, and after paying about 3/4 of the ER bill, the hospital forgave the rest of the debt.

All for the lack of a little salt.
  #223   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-13, 20:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

WOW Bonnie..... what a story.
  #224   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-13, 21:33
Experimenter

BF:

Wow! That's pretty amazing. We had a guy where I work pass out. He'd been drinking massive amounts of water and I'd be willing to bet he was following the common wisdom of not eating salt. Scared the living daylights out of me to see that happen!

Believe it or not, they said he was dehydrated. So... he started drinking even more water. This is why I think it is foolish to drink so much water. I think they really needed to tell him he was low on electrolytes.
  #225   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-13, 21:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

I could write a book: "Stupid Things I Have Done and Their Consequences." But it would be pretty embarrassing!

On the upside - I do learn from those consequences!