Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 03:36
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 180.7/165.3/160 Male 187cm
BF:19/15/9
Progress: 74%
Default Does a low carb diet help or worsen inflammation?

Hello guys, I'm following a keto diet since 6 months now and I have seen my cholesterol levels up. I have sometimes some lack of energy and feeling a bit tired maybe I'm not increase enough my fats intake. One question i have is about inflammation i keep searching and reading things on the web that it need to be lower but does a keto diet help with it or not ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 06:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Stephen Phinney ketogenic diet and inflammation

Phinney gets into the effects of a ketogenic diet vs. inflammation around twenty minutes into this video. A number of studies have shown a reduction in inflammatory markers on a lower carb diet, he concentrates on anti-inflammatory effects of beta hydroxybutyrate.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 06:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I notice a distinct reduction in inflammation; I have rosacea and it is noticeably absent when I low carb.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 06:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I notice a distinct reduction in inflammation; I have rosacea and it is noticeably absent when I low carb.

I used to have rosacea. It has disappeared since I started eating low carb.

I used to have arthritis in my fingers and it was getting worse. Although the joints are still a bit misformed, the pain and inflammation are virtually gone. It has gotten better rather than progress.

I could go on but my experience is that low carb has lowered the level of inflammation in my body.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 07:42

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I used to have stiffness in my hands and fingers, especially when I would wake up in the morning prior to low carb. Now, I no longer have stiffness at all. In addition, my sinuses are clear and I can breathe freely through my nose at any time of the year including allergy seasons.

To confirm the inflammation impact of the LC approach, when I get my blood tested, I also order an hsCRP (c-reactive protein, an inflammation marker) test to determine my relative inflammation. Note a CRP test score of <2.0 is considered lower risk, and a score of >2.0 is considered higher risk. I've been strict low carb for around 4 years, and my CRP score 2 years ago was 1.4, my score from last fall was 0.4.

So, using CRP as an inflammation indicator, I would say that a LC approach certainly has the potential to reduce inflammation, and can be listed among many other benefits.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 09:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Great tip, Rob; I need to get one of those soon.

But I really don't need tests when I feel good. That is also its own reward.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-17, 22:31
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

Once I had a Summer rash on my lower legs so the docs gave me a CRP test. They were amazed it came back "essentially zero" was doing IF at that time -- one low-carb meal in the evening.
I later found out on the Internet the rash was "golfer's vasculitis" the Doc's first thought it might be lupus.
Quote:
Described as a strange rash covering the calves and shins, most people say The Disney Rash is not itchy, but it reportedly looks terrible, like a red-colored heat rash. It seems to be most prevalent when it’s hot. It's red but does not itch
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 02:33

Plan: Keto diet
Stats: 200/165/160 Male 180
BF:
Progress:

C protein could be a good measure too for inflammation
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-17, 09:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

My first thought on reading your question, as simplistic as this may sound, is that it depends on the foods you're still eating on your low-carb diet. I think just giving up the wheat and other grains reduces inflammation a great deal. Dairy can be inflammatory as well.

I don't know about a keto-focused diet - I eat a lot of vegetables - but I try to get in as much alkaline food as possible in the form of (mostly) raw, lower carb plant foods. A small squirt of lemon juice in your water makes it more alkaline, too.

You probably already know this - I learned it the hard way - make sure you get in your water and salt as well as other electrolytes (potassium, magnesium) which get peed out and can make you feel weak and blah when they're depleted.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 07:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
but I try to get in as much alkaline food as possible in the form of (mostly) raw, lower carb plant foods.

My urine test sure showed I am pretty acidic !

pH of 5 ?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 12:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
But I really don't need tests when I feel good. That is also its own reward.

I'm in the same situation and decided after my last NMR Lipid Panel last fall that I understand where I am with my WOE, I know the results I'm getting are due to my WOE, and I no longer need tests. It is truly a reward!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 12:42

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLC.MD
My urine test sure showed I am pretty acidic! pH of 5 ?
The average is 6. If you were dehydrated or fasted or eat more meat than the average person, that would explain the 5. If you eat acidic food, the body will excrete more acids to regulate levels in the blood to a narrow range of 7.35-7.45.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-17, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
NMR Lipid Panel last fall that I understand where I am with my WOE, I know the results I'm getting are due to my WOE, and I no longer need tests. It is truly a reward!

Nice !

Is there a LCHF subforum here ?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-17, 08:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243/220/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Inflammation is one area that I am concerned with. I have had osteoarthritis since my 30's and am concerned about dairy.

I think I am looking for validation that I am thinking about this correctly.

My number one concern is breaking the sugar addiction and general overeating. My second concern is the pain and inflammation I am experiencing which in the past I was told to stop dairy.

I am feeling that since I am doing away with the flour, rice, potatoes and sugar the inflammation should decrease with just that. Then once I am stable in my food choices, if I still have inflammation I can then look at removing cheese and dairy.

I have alot of food sensitivities but I have been able to pinpoint them to processed food ingredients and preservatives in frozen food. So with long term eradication of those horrible ingredients and food choices my hope is that dairy will be tolerable for every day.

Am I on the right track in my thinking?
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-17, 08:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Try going dairy free for a few months. I noticed it makes a huge difference in my arthritis and pain levels. Not to mention sinuses, acne, intestines, etc. Whenever I backslide I get ouchier.

If you need help on what to eat while dairy free, check out Paleo blogs, sub-forums, etc.