Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 08:32

Plan: bulking!
Stats: 133/114/120 Female 62 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 146%
Question maintainers: are you/do you stay

...in ketosis?

I'm below goal and still losing slowly, though I don't particularly care to. I just don't want to start gaining weight back. I had a big carb up on Sunday (Indian food for lunch with a vegetarian friend, probably 100 grams of carb in that one meal). Since then I've been back to less than 50 grams a day. Also have been working out a lot, for me.

I decided to check this morning and see whether I'm in ketosis or not. Not. I also weighed myself and I'm at the same weight I was last week (a new low) so I "claimed" it.

I guess I'm somewhat confused. Do I *want* to be in ketosis if I'm staying low carb but don't actually want to be losing more weight? I'm thinking maybe no, but after the mindset of "OMG, I can't eat *that*, it will throw me out of ketosis!", it's hard to make the mental switch. Can you be in ketosis and be maintaining, not losing? (Obviously you can be out of ketosis and still losing, because I am and so are all the people who lose weight on non-low-carb. I did the math last week and I am probably eating 400 calories a day on average less than I'm burning, so that explains that.)

Anyway, forget about me. If you have been staying the same weight for a long period of time and you are continuing to eat low carb, are you in ketosis or not?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 08:34
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I've been maintaining for almost 5 yrs now and I doubt that I've ever been in ketosis.

Being that you have no plan listed, I don't know how to help you.

Congrats on your success!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 08:48

Thanks, Judy. I'm not looking for help per se, just trying to wrap my head around this intellectually. I was kinda disappointed not to be in ketosis after eating clean and working out hard for three days, but then I said to myself, "You lunatic, you don't want to be in ketosis. Or do you?"

Maybe I'm not phrasing my real question right. I know you can lose weight and/or maintain and not be in ketosis (like you, or apparently right now, me). My question is, can you be in ketosis and be maintaining, not losing?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 15:30
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
no idea. The main advocate of ketosis seems to be Dr. Atkins- what do his books say? What about the NEW Atkins book- what do those authors say?

I don't know if I was ever in ketosis. Not important to me or part of my plan. SO I lost all my weight and have maintianed for over 6 years without it.

Welcome to this area- maintaining is a whole different mindset.

There are some great posts here and lots of info-

E
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 17:14

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I haven't tested for years but I'm pretty sure I'm not now. At least my dentist and hygienist don't flinch when they work in my mouth!

As far as your question, I don't actually KNOW but we hear enough newbies claiming to be in deep ketosis and "why aren't I losing?" so I would think it's quite possible to maintain while in ketosis, although I can't think why you'd want that.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
no idea. The main advocate of ketosis seems to be Dr. Atkins- what do his books say? What about the NEW Atkins book- what do those authors say?

I don't know if I was ever in ketosis. Not important to me or part of my plan. SO I lost all my weight and have maintianed for over 6 years without it.

Welcome to this area- maintaining is a whole different mindset.

There are some great posts here and lots of info-

E

Thanks for the welcome, Eno. I've never read the new Atkins, but just out of curiousity, I went over and looked at their website. If they mention the word "ketosis" on there, I could not find it. Maybe they don't stress it any more? Hmm.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRC
I haven't tested for years but I'm pretty sure I'm not now. At least my dentist and hygienist don't flinch when they work in my mouth!

As far as your question, I don't actually KNOW but we hear enough newbies claiming to be in deep ketosis and "why aren't I losing?" so I would think it's quite possible to maintain while in ketosis, although I can't think why you'd want that.

Glenda, I don't know! I seem to have gotten in my head somewhere (GCBC? something I read online? I dunno) that being in ketosis has some kind of benefit to it beyond weight loss. Which probably isn't true!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 18:18

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, one can be in ketosis and not lose weight.
Yes, there are benefits to being in ketosis without needing to lose weight.

Explanations and uses for those two statements can be found in the writings of those who author the following blogs, which can be searched. Two are by medical doctors, one by a brilliant veterinarian, and one by a woman who has done a great deal of research for her own health challenges.

http://www.paleonu.com/ by Dr. Kurt Harris
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/ by Peter Dobromylskyj
http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/ by Dr. Emily Deans

http://failsafediet.wordpress.com/

Sorry to not give you a quick and easy answer, but, the answers could fill several books.

All the best to you.

Last edited by SilverEm : Tue, Oct-12-10 at 18:48.