Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 11:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/183/150
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Atkins to CAD?? Any advice??

I have been on and off Atkins for a while and I know that I can't stay on this forever. I've been looking at other plans that may allow me a little more freedom and a friend recommended CAD to me. I looked through their website and found the book on eBay. Which I plan to read this weekend. But I was wondering if I could get some first hand information about it--you know, pros and cons. I've got TONS of questions, which I know that will be answered through the book and time.
I was reading on epinions.com and people were saying it's strict, etc. But nothing can be more strict than Atkins is (when it comes to low-carb).
So I really want to hear from someone that can help me with this. Just give me your thoughts on it. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 11:44

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

I have never tried the CAD diet, but I have heard people say that being allowed to eat all the carbs you want in the one hour sitting for dinner, has triggered a carb craving that makes the rest of the time very difficult to follow. But again, this is not first hand, just what I have heard.
Good Luck.
Cindy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 12:00

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I have a couple of friends who have been following CAD for some time - one about a year and the other about six months, I think. They're both happy with it - they've lost weight and their health has improved. One of them is a fairly serious carb addict and doesn't complain about cravings. You might just have to try it and see if it's right for you.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 12:34
Registered Member

Stats: 194/183/150
BF:
Progress: 25%

Thanks guys! I don't know about the carb-craving part because no matter how well I stick to Atkins I still crave certain things! That's what I'm finding out now.
I know most pro-carbers say that this has to be a lifestyle change, well, for me it can't be. I don't care to go on forever without carbs...I just want to control how I eat them.
Thanks for your input though!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-01, 17:52

Stats: 300/248/130
BF:
Progress: 31%

Mama, I'm on Atkins but every now and then I have a CAD day, and I haven't had any problems with it at all. I've read the CAD book as well as Atkins and I can say that CAD is alot less restrictive in most ways. The biggest differences are, with CAD you can eat one meal per day that has carbs in it (though you're supposed to keep it balanced 1/3 protein, veggies, and carbs). The other two meals a day are strictly low-carb, like Atkins. But no eating between meals allowed on CAD. You have your two low carb meals and one "regular" meal, and that's it. With Atkins you can eat whenever you get hungry, even between meals. Those are the major differences I guess.

I thought about going on CAD, but chose Atkins instead because it was a much stricter program and that's exactly what I needed to kick the carb addiction. Plus I knew I would lose slower on CAD than Atkins, and I wanted to zzzoooooom down to a size 10, LOL. (Still not quite there yet)

Once I get closer to my goal weight I might switch to CAD, I'll have to see how it goes. The one thing I will warn you about is that switching to CAD might cause you to have more cravings. (Especially since you said you have a problem there) I'm very lucky in that I can eat one meal with carbs and not have any cravings afterwards. It's an occasional thing for me and it works. Just be careful. If you notice you're starting to crave more carbs, maybe try CAD only once or twice a week, and stay on Atkins the rest of the time. Tweak it a bit and see what works best for you.

Hope this helps somewhat until you get the book. I really thought the book was great.

Wendy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 14:53

Plan: Carb Addicts Diet
Stats: 224/216/115 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I've only been on CAD for three days, but I can already tell a HUGE difference in my craving, hunger levels, etc.

I used to be hungry all the time...and of course, I was hungry for things like bread and pasta, etc. I have 'light' cravings now that are a breeze to control.

As long as I don't 'over carb' during my reward meal, I'm fine! Last night, I waaay overdid it and felt like I was in a total stupor for about two hours. *sigh* lol!

I have lost two pounds so far.