Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-17, 16:20

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default 50 day fatigue....

Today is 50 days since I jumped (again) on the low carb train. I have made good progress...down around 23 lbs...man belly and love handles a shadow of their former selves...down from 38 to 34 pants (and back into much of my work clothes). Wife pleased.

But progress has slowed even though I am sticking to plan and working out 6 days a week (2 running, 4 lifting). I am starting to get that...'I just want to get there feeling', which sucks any satisfaction I could get out of my daily efforts and just makes it a slog.

I also visualize the finish line as being a doorway back to the foods I enjoy, although in moderation, and I am anxious to get there. I know, if I start eating like I did before I will slowly ( and maybe more quickly as I am getting older every day) gain the pounds back. I think, at least as long as I am engaged in training for a MT Rainier climb next spring, I can keep the pounds at bay and still have a slice of pizza and a beer every so often. I will have to watch this when the day comes.

Funny thing, this feeling really took hold 2 days ago when the wife (she is only about 5 lbs heavier than when we married 26 years ago, and has a big sweet tooth) innocently said that I should have a small piece of chocolate as a reward for my efforts. I considered it....hell, only 4 grams carbs for a small square, but resisted. But now I can't get that thought out of my mind.

So here I sit, just having finished a 3-mile run, thinking about chocolate, pizza and beer, and knowing that I will never get to 190 (or 185 ...we'll see) if I break now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-17, 18:15

Plan: Healthy Living
Stats: 196/146/125 Female 5ft3in
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniggle
Today is 50 days since I jumped (again) on the low carb train. I have made good progress...down around 23 lbs...man belly and love handles a shadow of their former selves...down from 38 to 34 pants (and back into much of my work clothes). Wife pleased.

But progress has slowed even though I am sticking to plan and working out 6 days a week (2 running, 4 lifting). I am starting to get that...'I just want to get there feeling', which sucks any satisfaction I could get out of my daily efforts and just makes it a slog.

I also visualize the finish line as being a doorway back to the foods I enjoy, although in moderation, and I am anxious to get there. I know, if I start eating like I did before I will slowly ( and maybe more quickly as I am getting older every day) gain the pounds back. I think, at least as long as I am engaged in training for a MT Rainier climb next spring, I can keep the pounds at bay and still have a slice of pizza and a beer every so often. I will have to watch this when the day comes.

Funny thing, this feeling really took hold 2 days ago when the wife (she is only about 5 lbs heavier than when we married 26 years ago, and has a big sweet tooth) innocently said that I should have a small piece of chocolate as a reward for my efforts. I considered it....hell, only 4 grams carbs for a small square, but resisted. But now I can't get that thought out of my mind.

So here I sit, just having finished a 3-mile run, thinking about chocolate, pizza and beer, and knowing that I will never get to 190 (or 185 ...we'll see) if I break now.

Don't give in!! You are doing awesome! Just keep going. Nothing tastes as good as being LC feels

Seriously though- I know how you feel. I have been 30 pounds from goal for almost 2 years now because I get into the same kind of thinking.

I started LC in March 2014. And from March until December I did awesome-I lost 40 pounds which is awesome for me (lots of medical issues and medication that makes weight loss very slow).

But then I took the first bite and I gained back a few pounds and ever since I have been having a hell of a time getting back in the right mental state to get to my goal weight.
Today is day 4 for me being back on track. My weakness is nuts. I am not talking about an ounce at a time I am talking 15 ounces at a time! They have been my biggest issue- I just keep telling myself each day IT IS NOT WORTH IT!

Hope that helps
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-17, 21:55

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniggle

It is difficult and tiring to be of two minds about something. Maybe one can get the two minds to agree or move in a common direction together. For myself, I allow the mind that "wants cake" to have its turn without interference, just observation. Eventually it's unreasonableness fades the Mt. R mind comes back to the front, the one that can reason.

It is difficult for me to argue that cake doesn't taste good, so I don't.

You are doing well! Keep going Sniggle.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

try telling yourself that those aren,t once in a life time foods and you will have penty of ops to have them in moderation at a later time. For me that takes away the feeling that I am missing out on something.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 11:47

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Thanks all! Still holding strong, and feeling a bit more settled today then I have been the last couple of days. Weight is still hardly budging...but if all else fails I suspect my upcoming 'exam' will knock off a few pounds.

190 or bust!

PS - IMG just dropped their 2018 Mt Rainier dates, so filling out my application now. This gives me some needed drive!

Last edited by Sniggle : Thu, Sep-07-17 at 12:49.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 15:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Hey, yeah. These feelings are normal. It's how you respond to them that counts. Remember that no matter how much exercise or how many workouts you do, diet is really the main culprit that can either lead you to health or lead you to ruin. Exercise, no matter how good it makes you feel, can't enable you to outrun a bad diet.

Plateaus are normal as well. Hey, you're pretty normal!!! Again, it's how you react. If this is a temporary period of eating differently to get to a certain weight, it will be just that, temporary. Amazing how much control we have over ourselves for positive and negative outcomes. Enjoy the journey!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 21:36
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

GRB my experience completely backs up your assertions. I have always been active working out 3 hrs a day for decades. After 3 years with a torn up foot, rotator cuffs, extreme inactivity, plus a thyroid problem and a gain of 60lbs, financial stress of disability. I was not looking forward to my first blood work in 3 years. My total cholesterol is 136 same as always, same blood sugar everything great.

The only changes were HDL down to 54 and triglycerides up to 93.

I truly believe its the emphasis on meat, meat, meat (even with the junkfood that makes it into my diet) thats holding it together.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 15:11
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Try IF, was stuck at 208 until I did "Intermittent Fasting" 23/1 for most of one Winter. Day 9 is the "crux" I remember that, by day 11 you're free.