Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 15:30

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmrickman
Freckles....It is awsome and inspiring how committed you are to the low carb lifestyle..I will try to follow in your footsteps....

Well, thank you! I'm trying.

I feel better today, Arlene. I did not have any cravings yesterday and the scale was the same this morning. Crisis is finally over! I really appreciate all the advice and support given to help me get through this. I needed it. Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 15:54

Plan: No factory-processed food
Stats: 230/147/147 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know much about these alcohols but I'm sure I've seen criticisms of them in several places. The insulin hypothesis assumes a certain sequence of influences on cravings; but (shock horror) I don't entirely buy the concentration on insulin and blood sugar as a universal cause of sugar cravings. Fructose, for example, can cause issues without raising insulin. But I suspect that cravings can be caused by the sweetness circuits in the brain, independent of insulin.

This will vary from person to person; some people have developed sweetness dependencies in the hypothalamus, triggering cravings. But it probably also varies from sweetener to sweetener.

As you know, I just avoid anything processed at all--but it's a big step, I realise.

Last edited by Plinge : Tue, Jun-26-12 at 16:17.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 17:23
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Terri, I too am so glad you seem to have this figured out! I remember years ago reading that maltitol was the worst of the sugar alcohols and it caused me horrible intestinal upset! It was horrible!

Btw, I think I could trace my previous lc failure to a policy of allowing fake baked goods and sugar alcohols to my diet and also allowing real sweets on special occasions. Of course some people can handle such allowances, but my urge to overeat is an addiction so I can't stop at the occasional infraction. This time I have embraced a "no exception" policy, to the extent that I will go hungry rather than stray any whit from my established plan. This policy has served me well so far and I have been so much happier this time!

Last edited by mio1996 : Tue, Jun-26-12 at 17:36.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 05:12

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Freckles. I've been reading this thread for inspiration and found a lot.

"Don't Even Notice I'm Lying" How painfully true!! If I would only take note of own journal, I'd follow my own advice, and I'd be in a much better position today. Last year, I was really, really struggling with being eternally stuck at 142. I let my frustration get the better of me, and now I've got a much bigger challenge.

So keep on keeping on. It's no fun reaching into the closet for the new season's clothes and finding out the true extent of the excursion into CarbLand. I'm regretful, but I'm back. Again.

Best wishes.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 09:29

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Freckles. I've been reading this thread for inspiration and found a lot.

"Don't Even Notice I'm Lying" How painfully true!! If I would only take note of own journal, I'd follow my own advice, and I'd be in a much better position today. Last year, I was really, really struggling with being eternally stuck at 142. I let my frustration get the better of me, and now I've got a much bigger challenge.

So keep on keeping on. It's no fun reaching into the closet for the new season's clothes and finding out the true extent of the excursion into CarbLand. I'm regretful, but I'm back. Again.

Best wishes.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-12, 11:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

oops, nm!