Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-12, 15:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/179.6/165 Female 5'6 1/2
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default For those in maintenance....

Last June I started induction and lost 24 lbs. I completely fell off the wagon and went carb crazy and gained it all back plus 10. I am ready to do it again, and do it right!

My question is...does anyone ever eat a baked potato with dinner, or a bun on their hamburger? Say you can eat 75 grams of carbs/day and not gain...can you use some of that 75 for a baked potato?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-12, 18:28
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Yes you could include a potato IF....

You've properly climbed the carb ladder and determined not only your CCL but also your CCM AND if eating potato isn't a food item that causes cravings, blood sugar spikes, etc.

For example--my CCM is about 40-60. I occasionally will have rice, corn, or some other special item. These items are rare and not anywhere near daily items. I stay away from wheat, snack foods, processed items, & crap. The thought of eating a hamburger bun because I know how wheat affects me never crosses my mind. That would be like eating poison and I'd physically pay for it.

More importantly you should ask yourself what was it that triggered you falling off of plan and developing strategies to prevent it in the future.

HTH

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 05:54

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpah11
My question is...does anyone ever eat a baked potato with dinner, or a bun on their hamburger? Say you can eat 75 grams of carbs/day and not gain...can you use some of that 75 for a baked potato?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question!
Not a dumb question, but why waste 75g of carbs on rubbish like a hamburger bun?

Like Lisa, I stay away from 'wheat, snack foods, processed items & crap' but will occasionally eat starchier carbs such as potato or sweet potato. However, it would be a small portion, and not, for example, a whole baked potato.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 06:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/179.6/165 Female 5'6 1/2
BF:
Progress: 57%

Thanks for your responses. I don't plan on having either of those items anytime soon, or often once I reach maintenance. I just wanted to know that I really want a small baked potato, I could occasionally have one and stay on plan.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 07:00
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

on my plan that's fine- but I'm not on Atkins.
E
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 09:49
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpah11
Thanks for your responses. I don't plan on having either of those items anytime soon, or often once I reach maintenance. I just wanted to know that I really want a small baked potato, I could occasionally have one and stay on plan.

I think what you're missing here is that the plan is what YOU make it--particularly when you have gotten to maintenance. If you have climbed the carb ladder and have determined your CCL and CCM and determined what foods are trigger foods and what are safe foods, there is your plan. If you get to OWL and potatoes or <blank> is a trigger it's YOUR choice if you indulge or not, but you go in with full disclosure of the consequences. My Atkins is going to look totally different than Krys Atkins or Frecks Atkins or Judys Atkins (is she were on Atkins) or Demi's Atkins---each persons plan by the time they hit maintenance is HIGHLY individualized to meet their needs and their preferences.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 10:16
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I think that you need to edcucate yourself on not only the carb counts of different foods but also the quality of those foods in terms of if its a whole food, like a potato, or a highly processed grain food( as in white flour) like a hamburger bun. There is a big difference !

I see a potato as benign and any white flour bun as pure evil.
Following the Atkins carb ladder during OWL phase is supposed to teach that.