Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 12:21

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Seven ways to avoid weight regain

Quote:
Seven ways to avoid weight regain

You've cracked it - you've finally got rid of all that excess fat. So how do you stop those pounds creeping back on?

Eat breakfast
Skipping breakfast means you are more likely to gain pounds you had lost, according to researchers at Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham University. In a study published earlier this year in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Hamid Farshchi and his colleagues found that women who were asked to skip their morning meal for two weeks ate on average 100 calories more during the rest of the day than those who ate a bowl of high-fibre cereal. The breakfast skippers also experienced a rise in their cholesterol levels. Over time, Farshchi said, those extra calories would lead to weight regain.

Don't obsess over labels
In a study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, Dr Linda Bacon of the University of California's department of nutrition assigned 78 overweight women to either a diet or non-diet group. Dieters were given information on how to read food labels accurately. The other group was taught to pay attention to internal hunger cues, but ate what they liked. After two years, 42% of the diet group had dropped out, compared with 8% of the others. Both groups lost 5.2% of their body weight after the first six weeks, but the dieters regained it by the end of the two-year study.

Eat low fat/high protein for life
In a study in June's American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Dr Manny Noakes of Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation put 120 overweight women on a diet of either high protein and low fat or high carbohydrate and low fat. After 23 weeks, all the women were lighter, but those on the high-protein diet lost 25% more weight (around 20lbs) than their high-carb counterparts. "Protein can affect appetite regulation in the brain," Noakes says. "So, three hours after a meal, you are going to feel far less hungry after eating a lot of protein than if you ate the same number of calories from carbohydrate. It is a diet approach for life."

Take up yoga
It may not be as lung-busting as a gym session, but a daily yoga class on top of other activities (such as walking or swimming) could help you avoid pounds creeping back on. In August, Dr Alan Kristal, associate director of the cancer prevention programme at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Centre, reported in the Journal Alternative Therapies that yoga postures can help people maintain weight loss. How? Yoga practitioners consistently reported feeling "more connected" to their bodies, which may reduce food intake by enhancing awareness of internal hunger cues, Kristal said.

Be progressive
If exercise has helped you to lose weight, be prepared to do more to keep it off. In a paper entitled Strategies for the Prevention of Weight Regain for Adults, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) outlines that to lose weight the average person needs to do four and a half hours of moderate activity a week (which will burn 2,000 calories) as well as reduce the amount of food they consume. But to maintain your slim-line physique, you must gradually increase the duration or intensity of your workouts. Changing your routine so that you use different muscle groups, doing a longer run or a faster walk are all good options.

Go for a walk
If you're not a gym person, maintaining your ideal weight could come down to adding a brisk lunchtime walk into your regime, according to researchers at Duke University in Baltimore. In a study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine last year, they found adults who were no longer on a diet because they had reached their target weight needed only a small amount of exercise - the equivalent of a half-hour fast walk each day - to prevent weight regain. People who did no exercise regained around 2.5lbs in eight months, but 73% of those who walked were able to maintain weight or lose a few pounds.

Don't go too low
Too great a restriction of calories may help you to lose weight initially, but it also means you are more likely to pile back the pounds more quickly. A survey of 4,000 men and women by the British Dietetic Association last year found that most people are obsessed with quick-fix and very low calorie diets. But a third of those who follow them end up regaining any weight they have lost - and more. In fact, the BDA found, 10% of those who regain weight after dieting put on up to a stone on top of their pre-diet weight. Lis Anderson, a BDA spokesperson, says faddy diets are too severe. "People get fed up and go back to having a few treats. In addition, often they haven't involved exercise in their weight-loss plan, so they do put on weight." A realistic weight loss is 1-2lbs a week achieved on a diet of 1,000-1,500 calories.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/s...1586040,00.html

Maintainers, what are your thoughts on the effectiveness of these principles in order to avoid weight gain?

Eat breakfast
Don’t obsess over labels
Eat low fat/high protein
Take up yoga
Be progressive
Go for a walk
Don’t go too low

Do you follow any of them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 12:22

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Eat breakfast

I do eat breakfast, but it’s usually an hour or so after I get up, as I can’t face food first thing in the morning.

I also know that if I was to eat the bowl of high-fibre cereal as suggested, I would be feeling extremely hungry within an hour or so. Besides, following a primal/low carb woe, I avoid all grains.

Don't obsess over labels

I don’t obsess over labels, but that’s probably because I don’t usually eat food that requires a label! In other words, no junk or processed foods.

Well I’ll certainly eat high protein for life, but not low fat. My body feels and looks much better with higher fat foods. Besides, fat makes everything taste so much better.

Take up yoga

I love yoga and, as well as attending a weekly class, try to practice various moves throughout the week.

Be progressive

While recent studies etc., have shown that exercise does not necessarily equate to weight loss, I do feel that it is a necessity for maintenance. IMO, it helps to promote a healthier outlook and lifestyle which is important if you don’t want to regain any of your lost weight.

I agree that you should gradually increase the duration or intensity of your workouts, as you need to continue challenging your body. Changing your routine is another way to do that as well. Plus it’s a good idea as it helps to prevent boredom from setting in.

Off on a slight tangent, according to the dictionary definition, progressive can refer to a person who subscribes to ideas or systems which are new and modern, encouraging change in society or in the way that things are done. IMO, as maintainers we need to embrace change - change of the type of food we eat, change of eating habits, change of lifestyle. We have to look forward, not back. In other words, enjoy the food we can eat, rather than fixate on what we can't have.

Go for a walk

I do walk a fair amount because I have a dog; having said that, I love to walk anyway.

Don't go too low

From a personal viewpoint I did go very low in order to lose my weight this time around (for those that don’t know, I followed a very low carb/low cal programme). However, as far as maintenance is concerned, I no longer restrict my calories. However, I do keep an eye on my carb level and will lower that, on occasion if I feel the need to.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-11, 18:42
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
thanks for all of these posts, Demi.

I have read lots of research on successful maintainers based on the NWLR data and other work. Breakfast, exercise and having a plan are the 3 that come up over and over and over.

For me, breakfast, exercise (walking and weights) and having a plan (CALP) do it for me. They are my top 3. Just part of my life.

Staying OP is important, and I also think knowing what is in the food you eat helps. I don't focus on counts or calories of prepared/canned foods. I want to make sure there is no added HFCS, sugars or trans fats. Eating mostly REAL food that I have to cook- QUALITY FOOD- is important. Like Demi I avoid carbage! No low fat for me either- that was toxic for my body.
And SUPPORT is important for me to stay OP- coming here really makes a difference for me.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 05:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Ha! Here's how I stack up (maintaining for 7 years)

Eat breakfast

When I went Paleo, I dropped the Atkins bars I used to have for breakfast, and IF'd instead. A cup of coffee with cream & coconut oil do me just fine.

Don't obsess over labels

No junk or processed foods here, either. I got a package of frozen creamed spinach with excellent ingredients... but once made, it smelled like baby puke and I had to throw it out.

Puhlease! 80% of my intake is FAT.

Take up yoga

Actually, I need to get back to the Egoscue Method. Did yoga for years... didn't do for me what one week of Egoscue did. Which reminds me... budget permitting, I want to explore Callanetics. Not that there's anything WRONG with yoga; it's great. I just get more results with other types of floor exercise.

Be progressive

Hip problem... CAN'T exercise. Getting better, but floor toning is the best I can do right now without making it worse. Did that for years, not any more. Lost ALL my weight on Atkins without it, too.

Go for a walk

That I can kind of do.

Don't go too low

Not (ahem!) a problem.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 08:48

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Breakfast -- I actually do better without breakfast

Yoga -- Tried Yoga; for some reason it does the opposite of what it's supposed to for me, I find myself getting edgy and angry Anyway I'm quite flexible with a small amount of regular stretching so I don't need Yoga.

Be Progressive -- if this means constantly changing up one's exercise routine, then I have that beat already. I practice and train Krav Maga. It's an intermittent cardio- and core-strengthener by nature. My instructor is one of those who endlessly changes up our routine -- 3 and 1/2 years and no two classes ever alike! I am challenged to do something new every time, there is no getting bored, and the next belt test is always a motivation. God I love martial arts.

Walking -- I do walk my dog 5 mornings a week.

A plan -- not there yet, but already have a great lifestyle that won't need tweaking much for when I reach maintenance.

Low Carb/moderate protein/moderate fat. It's how I've lost weight. I see no reason to change course and go low fat on maintenance.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 10:10

Plan: General LC (was Atkins)
Stats: 168/145.8/155 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:32%/24%/?
Progress: 171%

Since I'm typative (talkative) this morning...

Eat breakfast

Always have, always will. Caveat now is that it's low carb and moderate fat, and NO sugary fruits! IMO macros are key to whether breakfast is ultimately helpful or not.

Don’t obsess over labels

I do obsess over labels, by most standards. No reason to choose a product with added sugar over one without because I know how sugar impacts my body. More people should read the labels & vote with their wallets on what ingredients go into our foods!

Eat low fat/high protein

I would rather be fat than eat low fat! But then I'd be eating high fat and some protein, and I'd be skinny. Sooo the dragon eats his own fatty tail on this one...

Take up yoga

IMO it's not a magic bullet. But if it suits you, go for it.

Be progressive

Yes, I think you have to be willing to change and adapt to maintain. You cannot go back to old habits, and you cannot let bad new habits creep in even if they look healthy from the outside. You have to be prepared to re-evaluate and back up a step to choose a different path if the one you are on is not successful! If the path with more exercise works for you, then trot along.

Go for a walk

This I completely agree with. Teach your children to enjoy walking every day. It's one of the best habits my parents taught me.

Don’t go too low

I also very much agree with not hammering your metabolism to lose weight too rapidly.

And now, off I go to walk the dogs! Cheerio!