Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-17-11, 23:23
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Question Many Questions from a Woman In Need

Hey all ...

I used to hate it back in my Atkin's Days when someone would be totally clueless about how to work the diet, hadn't read the books and asked forum members to explain everything to them ... but I'm currently in that predicament. Although I promise to read the book as soon as I can get it, I need some info now and I'm hoping you can give me a hand.

Quick synopsis:

In 2002, I started a LC WOL slowly lost, then maintained a 110 pound loss for five years. However, my lifestyle changed with a new family and I've been slowly regaining. In addition, I just started a medication that packed on 20 pounds in 5 weeks. Finally, the coup de gras ... I've been diagnosed with some funny gut issues and my gastroenterologist says "absolutely, positively no artificial sweeteners."

Well, you might as well just shoot me now.

I just can't face Atkins without some sort of sweetener. And despondently I'm thinking I can't do low carb while using 'real' sweets. Bound to rebound all the way up past 330. Or maybe not?

Maybe CAD, that strange, super-slow form of weight loss most Atkin's folks look askance at. We don't trust it. We don't trust *ourselves* and our true Carb Addiction to eat a healthy reward meal instead of an M&M love fest.

So help me, people, please. I come to you, all humble, and needing big time help. If you can only answer a question or two, that's fine, but I'd really like to understand CAD.

=======================

1) Are there carb count recommendations for breakfast and lunch?

2) Do I have this correct: RM consists of 2 cups salad, 1/3 portion protein, 1/3 complex carbs and 1/3 low carb veggie. Plus the dessert of your choice. All within 1 hour.

3) What is the general feeling about fats? I've been taught that fat+carb = cardiovascular problems, fat by itself is not an issue.

4) Are any foods completely off limits?

5) Do any of you 'count' all your carbs and calories?

6) And finally, since I'm moving against a powerful tide with weight loss, does the scale crawl downward with CAD?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-17-11, 23:59

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

AntiM,

Well wishes on getting past your health problems. I answered each one of your questions to the best of my ability and would like to wish you well.

1) Are there carb count recommendations for breakfast and lunch?

No, if you limit your breakfast and lunch to protein and vegetables, there are not enough carbs to have to worry about.

2) Do I have this correct: RM consists of 2 cups salad, 1/3 portion protein, 1/3 complex carbs and 1/3 low carb veggie. Plus the dessert of your choice. All within 1 hour.

No, we are to begin our RM with 2 cups of salad and then we fix our plate with 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs, & 1/3 veggies, keeping our dessert limited to the 1/3 carb portion, in one hour.

3) What is the general feeling about fats? I've been taught that fat+carb = cardiovascular problems, fat by itself is not an issue.

None of my meals would ever be considered low fat since we cook with bacon grease, olive oil, butter, and even use a deep fryer at times.

4) Are any foods completely off limits?

No, just keep your RM balanced.

5) Do any of you 'count' all your carbs and calories?

No, never have and never will!

6) And finally, since I'm moving against a powerful tide with weight loss, does the scale crawl downward with CAD?

Yes, just look at my before and after photos. I lost every bit of my weight by following CALP.

Wishing you complete success,

Last edited by Hoppinn : Wed, May-18-11 at 00:10.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 00:13
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

There is no other way than saying WOW! to your weight loss, Teri.

Thank you for clarifying all my questions, especially regarding the RM.

And please don't take this the wrong way (at 46 I've lost all my inhibitions), but with your face so slimmed out and hair - you look like you could be your own daughter! It never ceases to amaze me how weight loss is the ultimate 'Fountain of Youth'!!

Thanks very much.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 06:22
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I hope you look at the stickies and the CHEAT SHEET post here- it will help a lot.

I agree with everything Teri said- but to clarify the RM: the carbs portion can be anything, but it is limited to 1/3 of the main part of the meal. So it can be a complex carb, or a simple carb (sugar). I find that limiting simple carbs works well for most of us.
I don't use AS and don't use low-carb frankenfoods. I eat real foods and love this WOL.
Don't go crazy at RM and you'll be fine. Only veggies and protein at the other meals. |I'd also recommend cutting out snacks and trying to eat in a meal pattern as opposed to a grazing pattern. I do have a small snack most afternoons- like 1 ounce of cheese or a dozen almonds with water or green tea. But I am maintaining- but I always did this.

Welcome!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 07:07

Plan: OWL
Stats: 280/249/175 Female 73.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

Does he include the real stevia plant? You can buy these through the mail, or at some garden stores. This is the actual plant that the sweetener stevia comes from.

I also would not consider Stevia exactly "artificial." It is often mixed with some other sweetener. Pure Via is Stevia mixed with Dextrose, other brands are mixed with other non-sweet extenders. Stevia is often mixed with something because it is so very sweet it needs to be extended. The powder is made by steeping the plant leaves and then drying it. You can find pure powders on line.

With the plant, when you want something sweet, you can steep a leaf or two with a drink, or eat a leaf to quench your need for something sweet.

I am sorry you are so addicted to sugar. My opinion would be to (cruelly) lock yourself up for a week after removing all the food in your house, and let that sugar get out of your body. People really do not treat an addiction to sugar like an addiction to heroine, but it is exactly the same thing. I've never particularly had a sweet tooth (I am overweight due to pasta and potatoes). I do not know what it is to panic and break out in a cold sweat because I could not get my sugar fix-- but let me tell you, I was a smoker, and every time I went on a trip, I would pre-pack a certain amount of cigarettes, so I would know I had them on the trip. In the same way, a candy addict would make sure they had a stash of chocolate bars. The best thing you can do is not feed the monster, because you won't lose weight. You can have neither the real sweets, or the fake sweets. Your resistance (and trying to figure out a way (already) to cheat on the diet, tells me that you really need to get that addiction taken care of before going on a diet. Induction is meat (and or the list of appropriate protiens) and 2 cups of loosely packed salad greens-- green leafy vegetables (or I think a cup of things like green beans). That is induction. It is designed to start a biochemical process in your fat cells that will not start with over 20 carbs per day. After the 14 days many people allow themselves other types of carbohydrates-- to the point that you do not stop losing weight. I, for example cannot go much outside 20-30 carbs. I am stuck at induction or I can't lose. Some people are luckier and can eat 50-75 carb grams per day and still lose.

The number of carbs you can, or can't eat is based on you ability to lose weight with that amount. It is not a question of having a list of foods and doing a math problem. The carbs in one food might not stall your weight loss, while the same amount of carbs in another food might stall your weight. It is not about the number as much as the food. -- and people are more successful on the under 5 carb foods (leafy greens).

No carbs are needed for good health. There is no such thing as an "essential" carb. Carbs are added to the Atkins diet for variety, and to add interest to your food. Fiber is good as well, but you can get that with a teaspoon of physillium. Whether green foods have more or less vitamins than meat or protein is also debatable.

That's the whole story.

I hope you consider giving up sweets all together. They are not doing your system any good.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 09:52

BF:

Monika,

Thank you for your kind words. Congratulations on your progress and I hope this program works for you as well as it has for me.

Sugar, as in chocolate, has always been my weakness and including it in my diet has been the best thing that I could have done for myself. It is unrealistic for me to believe that I will never have sugar again because it is included in the foods that I like. I have always tried to avoid artificial sugars and fake foods and I can now taste the sugar in a lot of foods that I eat now. If I want to go out to a restaurant, I can order anything that I want without worrying about the sugar that is in the mayonnaise, ketchup, or salad dressings, because I do not have to avoid them.

I wanted to find a program that I could follow for the rest of my life because I have been dieting my whole adult life and lost the same thirty pounds over and over again. I would be successful in avoiding everything that was "bad" for me, but it only lasted a short time.

Dieting does not work for me and this program is not a diet as far as I am concerned. It has helped me get past my insulin resistance that I caused for myself by dieting all those years.

I finally feel like a normal person because I can eat just like everyone else. I have never felt normal before because I was unable to control myself when it came to food.

I feel powerful because I am in control. Knowing that I can eat anything that I want is extremely satisfying to me and I will never feel deprived again!

Wishing you the best,
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 15:29
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

listen to Teri.
And look at the stats of people who post to just see where they are coming from.
but- it is really a YMMV issue for all of us.
E
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 16:16

BF:

AntiM,

I hope you are hanging in there!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-11, 16:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ask your GI Doc what sort of noncaloric sweeteners he's talking about and why. Maybe he means sugar alcohols, some of those can wreak on your gut, others not much at all.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 09:26

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

this thread has helped me. I had lost all my weight, only to gain it back with lots of medicines (prednisone, love it/hate it). I am now on new meds and off steroids and trying to get this darned weight back off. I am sick to death of counting carbs though. I don't have my CAD book anymore and haven't made it to the library to check one out so your posts have helped me remember what the plan is. I started it yesterday and I'm down 2 pounds today. I'm going to keep reading your threads here and get to the library today (hopefully).
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 13:18
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Ann-
I am so sorry about the meds. Steroids will do a number on you!
There is a cheat sheet thread- check it out and welcome.
E