Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 23:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%
Default In maintenance is there such thing as too much of one thing?

Hey all,

So I've been on peanut butter kick lately.. I like a homemade protein bar for breakfast and lunch.. and sometimes my apple with peanut butter.. so somedays I guess like a little under 1/3 cup in total(1.66 TB per bar & 2TB with my apple)..
I'm maintaining.. not gaining.. so did not see a problem.. but is there too much of one thing(in this case peanut butter) in maintenance?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 23:25

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Candi, unfortunately there's not a whole lot of info out there on the maintenance level. You're still an experiment of one!! I've read Atkins for Life and, while there's a lot of good info, there's still a lot of individual learning we have to do as regards our own bodies. You might be able to handle a lot of PB and I might not be able to, I might be able to handle starchy veggies and you might not be able to. We have to do the background and find out for ourselves. That's one reason I'm still not sure of my carb level for maintaining -- it seems to depend on where the carbs are coming from.

I wish I could tell you it gets easier when you hit maintenance, but it doesn't!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-10, 01:04

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 254/222/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

The only reason I would cut back a bit is the ridiculous amount of o6...peanuts aren't the best thing for your health.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-10, 07:54
Induction ≠ Atkins

Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I can only speak for myself...but I do go on the occasional peanut butter kick. I can go for WEEKS without having any, but usually the week before TOM is when I lay into the jar. I don't eat more than a few tablespoons per day, but it just really calms down those munchies. I think because I drink SO much water while having a spoon of it. It doesn't cause me a problem, but most things don't. That's the dangerous thing. It's hard to be armed with the knowledge that I can eat totally rotten things for a LC lifestyle if I want with no real impact on weight... not that PB is the worst...but you know what I mean. I have to make that decision every time NOT to have things even when I know that I can have them without an issue.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-10, 09:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I believe in the theory that we go on "kicks" because that food might have a nutrient in which we're deficient. Obviously I'm not talking about potato chips or candy or wine but I go through cycles of really enjoying peanut butter, avocados, spicy Thai food, etc and also cycling through the same foods being totally unappealing.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-10, 10:07

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

Thanks and yeah I know it's not the healthiest lol but good to know I'm not the only one that goes though 'kicks'
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-10, 15:50

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
...that food might have a nutrient in which we're deficient. Obviously I'm not talking about potato chips or candy or wine

Whaddya mean you're not talking about wine?!! It's obvious that wine, especially red wine, has a nutrient I'm deficient in!! That seems to be a permanent "kick".
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 11:42
Registered Member

Stats: 150/128/130 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 110%

I definitely have food kicks - sometimes peanut butter, sometimes avocados, sometimes cheese, ALWAYS 85% chocolate! I like the idea that cravings (within reason) are for things your body needs...

I'm maintaining, so don't see it as a problem although I keep an eye on the scales. The thing I have found in maintenance is that I'm not so good with my water intake any more - must try to improve that :-)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 12:19

Plan: Atkins/DANDR
Stats: 208/149.5/130 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalr
I can only speak for myself...but I do go on the occasional peanut butter kick. I can go for WEEKS without having any, but usually the week before TOM is when I lay into the jar. I don't eat more than a few tablespoons per day, but it just really calms down those munchies. I think because I drink SO much water while having a spoon of it. It doesn't cause me a problem, but most things don't. That's the dangerous thing. It's hard to be armed with the knowledge that I can eat totally rotten things for a LC lifestyle if I want with no real impact on weight... not that PB is the worst...but you know what I mean. I have to make that decision every time NOT to have things even when I know that I can have them without an issue.

If you CAN have them, why not have them?...or are you saying that you can have them IN MODERATION, but they would become dangerous if you overdid them.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 12:22
Induction ≠ Atkins

I can have them in moderation, but that only leaves me wanting them more often...so I have to be very careful. The once in a while thing causes me no issue at all - that would be very different if that "once in a while" became daily. Then it would be a problem.

It's best for me to eat as "clean" as possible. It's when I feel my best. The occasional treat (like rice, refried beans, roasted potato - not cupcake ) is great, but I can't afford to make a habit out of it. I don't want to see 17X again, let alone 2XX. The momentary satisfaction of the food is not worth risking my long term satisfaction of a smaller ass LOL
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 13:14

Plan: Atkins/DANDR
Stats: 208/149.5/130 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalr
The occasional treat (like rice, refried beans, roasted potato - not cupcake ) is great, but I can't afford to make a habit out of it.

So is it a foregone conclusion that, though both are BAD, starches are a little bit better than sugars?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 13:29
Induction ≠ Atkins

I think it's a highly individual thing. Sugar is a thing I don't even touch. It's kinda like wheat. I try to avoid it entirely, too. Anything sugary is just...overpoweringly sweet to me...I can't do it! Which is really a 180 from my old ways. I have zero desire to eat it. About a month ago or so, hubby and I went out to dinner. He wanted the key lime pie. So I said I'd share with him. I took one bit (of my formerly FAVORITE key lime pie) and couldn't stand it. It was terrible. I literally couldn't eat it. I went home and made my low carb version, and it was soooooooooo much better.

Starches, on the other hand, are ok for me. I do tend to overeat them a little bit, so I knowingly only cook very small portions. I'd say I have something like roasted potato or brown rice once every other week or so. Not super frequent. I will have some other higher carb veggies on a little more frequent basis - carrots, some peas, and beans mostly - but again, not really often.

Being able to keep things varied and have some of the things that I miss every now and then makes this easy to stick with without feeling deprived.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 14:28
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krys
Being able to keep things varied and have some of the things that I miss every now and then makes this easy to stick with without feeling deprived
Eggsactly Krys!!!

My experience with all these "treat" foods in maintenance is that if I start eating them daily, its no longer a once in a while type of food. Especially when I see the scale moving up.

But I had to first isolate, for me, which foods would be my once in a while foods. It used to be flour stuff like bagels or pizza. But over the years, I no longer crave them, or even think about them, as much as before.

I am still a work in progress and will be as long as I breathe.

I think its key for each of us to figure out which foods trigger us and devise strategies to deal with them. Thats why doing OWL in Atkins, or phase II of SB, is key for long term sccess. If we don't figure this out before we hit goal, we are left wondering how to when we do hit it.

I don't have a peanut butter issue. I can have a small amount of leave it. Sugar is the same for me....but I do think that a couple of years ago, that wouldn't have been the case for me.
Time does have a way of healing us when we remain consistent to our plan of choice.