Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 19:23
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Question hash brown

I can't wait until I get off induction to try the hash brown. I was wondering if there something I can make while on induction to satisfy craving for potatoes. Thanks.
Donna
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 10:19
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Lightbulb hi Donna

The hashbrowns would be fine to have during Induction if you used green onion (scallion) instead of the regular sweet onion (less carbs). The original recipe that I posted called for radishes, the red and white jobbies .. and later on daikon radish was suggested (these are long white radishes, sometimes called lo bok or Oriental radish) ... both types of radish are very low carb and are permitted during Induction. The addition of the crushed pork rinds is quite yummy, and adds zero carbs.

There are several recipes floating around for faux "mashed potatoes" using cauliflower or turnip. Check these out:I'm sure you'll find some great ideas in at least one of those threads

Doreen
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 10:57
Pending Member

BF:
Smile thanks

I will try these links out. I really appreciate the help.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 21:31

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Talking

Wow, these recipes sond great, I've just been doing without, and eating my veggies plain, these sound great. thanks to all. Chris
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/185/145
BF:
Progress: 67%

hi and thanks for the great ideas using radishes and turnips. i make a "mock potato salad" with rutabaga, actually like it better than potato salad. use all the same ingredients you use with potatoes, yummy.

also, for that little bit of extra with breakfast, i like a roll recipe that dr. atkins had in his very first diet revolution book. haven't seen it in any of his newer publications.

the recipe:

separate 3 eggs and beat the whites until stiff but not dry. i use a bit of cream of tartar. stir the egg yolks, add 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese to them, along with a little salt if you like. you can also add minced onion here for using in hamburgers or other sandwiches. a little splenda is ok too. fold the egg yolk mixture gently into the whites, being careful not to break down the whites. spoon into little piles on a greased baking sheet and bake at 300 Degrees for around 40 minutes. the piles will flatten out, giving you hamburger bun sized rolls. remove from pan while still warm. i store mine in baggies in the fridge.

great for base for eggs benedict, have a real sandwich for lunch, dip in egg and have french toast even.

i like atkins baking mix for crepes and pancakes, have you tried it?
also, atkins has lots of syrups as i'm sure you are aware.

keep those ideas flowing. love the variety it gives my food plan.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 21:48

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default rolls

You might like to check out our own Doreen's version of the Revolution Rolls.

She spent some time and really perfected the recipe.

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread108.html
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 10:28
Pending Member

BF:
Question

Sharon, I looked at Dooreen recipe. Where can I buy wheat glutten? I have looked in my area and I can't find it.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 12:15

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default wheat gluten

In Canada we can find Wheat Gluten flour at the "Bulk Barn".
There are different brands, one is Bob's Red Mill, but there are others. Some call it gluten flour, also vital wheat gluten. What you look for on the label is specifically that it is 75 to 80% protein. That is what you want. I know that Bob's Red Mill flour is available in the States, because they have a website. I was able to get our local IGA to order Bob's Red Mill in for me.

I also remembered Doreen has another version of her buns which I like even better.

I would suggest you try this one. It's my favourite. In the thread is also information I added to make a Danish Type Roll. It's pretty good too!!

Doreen's Multi-Grain Revolution Buns

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...s=&threadid=529
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 09:12
Registered Member

Plan: sensible low carbing, no
Stats: 330/330+/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I have to tell ya these mock hash browns made with radishes are worth trying. These are REALLY good. Now that I've reread the recipe I will add the onion and the thyme next time. One small bunch of radishes didn't quite make enough so I added one small turnip. I got my food processor for Christmas and boy, it's been a life saver as so much needs to be shredded (especially the faux/mock items). Terrific recipe!!! I actually would have guessed them to be hash browns if I didn't already know they were radishes with a hint of turnip~~bella
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 20:47

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Talking

I tried this with 2 white turnips, Panfried with green onions, Ididn't have enough for myself , because my whole family loved them, and really they taste like home fries. Thank you.! This and the mock danish is keeping me going. Chris
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 17:21
Registered Member

BF:

hi bellablue,

thanks for the posts. i am at a new place now. my husband passed away sunday in the wee hours, peacefully. the relief subdues the grief, at least right now. he suffered so for a few months. i got through by nurturing myself with food and now i don't have to do that anymore.

it helps to hear the thoughts you and others have re: food and eating. i really feel as if the desire to fix things with eating behavior is gone now and knowing there are low-carb comfort foods available should i feel the need for that behavior is so helpful.

one of my favorite things used to be potato salad. i found a recipe that substitutes rutabaga for the potato and it's delicious. i haven't tried "home-frying" rutabaga, but now i surely will, as having those little tidbits along with eggs and meat just really fills out a meal.

just let's remember odat [o(ne)d(ay)a(t)at(ime)] and we can do anything!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 20:04
Pending Member

BF:
Default Welcome

Mariah, Welcome and I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family are doing okay. My prayers are with you and yours.
My favorite things in the world is potato salad. Could you send your recipe for me. I would love to try it.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 20:21
Registered Member

BF:
Default mock potato salad

hi donna,

thank you for your condolences. my husband suffered a long time and i'm glad he's at rest now. i know that we'll always miss him, but he was a wonderful presence in our lives and we are blessed for knowing him.

as for the potato salad, i seem to make it differently every time. depending on what veggies i have on hand to put in. i like it with chopped boiled eggs, radishes sliced, celery and onion, some dill pickles chopped fine, and of course mayo, (duke, sugar free brand) just boil the rutabaga after peeling it, and dicing it. when it's tender, drain, cool and add your fav. stuff. i think the rutabaga flavor is even better than potato and it's low carb. check you carb counter to be sure you don't overeat on it, tho. i can't remember and am too tired to look it up right now. sorry.

i so appreciate the locarb woe.

good night. thanks again for writing.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:06

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

tried this today for the first times w/ turnips and a slice of white onion, pepper, salt...it'd be hard to tell these from "real" hash browns! They're a touch sweeter...yum.

I really like raw turnips too--great on a crudite plate
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: sensible low carbing, no
Stats: 330/330+/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Mariah, so sorry for your loss! You'll be ok and it will just take time. Be sure and be kind to yourself.<p> One of the comfort foods that is low carb that I have been indulging in is sugar free mousse made with tofu. I know this isn't the proper place to put the recipe as it doesn't fit with the thread. About the rutabegas--I haven't tried them yet but will in the potato salad. Sounds delicious! And I have recently been using the Daikon radish for the hash browns. It's alot easier to handle than shredded all those little radishes in the food processor. And it's quite good. Even the cat is tricked and thinks it's hash browns. He's my discriminating critic.