Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-08, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: blah
Stats: 111/111/111 Female 78
BF:
Progress: 29%
Question Are there any young people who have succeeded at losing A LOT of weight?

I know that everyone here is going to argue that they are young (more power to ya), but Im 20 years old and have at least 80lbs to lose and Ive been obese since I was about 7 years old. So I want to know if anyone here has or knows a younger person who has lost a great deal of weight and how that has changed your life? Also, if you have been overweight since childhood and lost a bunch, how has that effected you? I've never been skinny, healthy, or anywhere near it so I cant even fathom what it'd be like to just get to normal. Does anyone has any stories to share?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 01:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 278/215/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Yes I lost 100 pounds on the atkins when I was 22. I was over weight for most of my life. It took around 7-8 months. I still have the piece of paper with my weight loss goals on them and the dates that they were achieved. I also wrote down other personal goals on this piece of paper and achieved every one of them. my life was changed in the following ways from my peak weight to my low weight.

1. Got a girl friend
2. Felt more respect from people
3. Legs stopped hurting, knees back, no more chaffing
4. Was able to buy designer clothes
5. Fit into a suit for a job interview and felt confident
6. Able to wear a bathing suit, bought a jet ski
7. Increased energy and mobility.

One of which was to get a girl friend, I can still remember walking into the movie theater with this girl I started dating when I was reaching my goal weight. I was wearing nice clothes, almost to my goal weight, and said to myself you did it, the seratonin rush was amazing. I did put back on 70 pounds of the weight I loss, but I started the atkins again in July and am down to my low again. I think that being young has an advantage because your body responds very quickly to the low carb, both times on the atkins my weight loss has been very fast. I also think the toning of the body from atkins is great as well. Atkins plus exercise equals the fastest weightloss in the history of the world.

It sounds like you are well on your way to being "normal" as you are defining yourself by your weight. All my close friends treat me just the same, 300 pounds or 200 pounds. I thought people that were closest to me in my life would compliment me the most for my weight loss, but why should they?

Last edited by gusman : Thu, Dec-04-08 at 01:11.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-23-09, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/169/165 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I'm 23 and was overweight throughout most of my youth -- despite being on a year-round swim team and swimming 1-2 hours every day.

I've been on Atkins for the last 9-10 years or so (since just before starting High School). I've gone from 5'10", 230lbs, 38-40" waist to 6', 170lbs, 32" waist and am content with my current weight.

30lbs came off within 3-4 months, 10-15 more within the first year, and the rest was much more gradual. Got to ~175 by my Junior year, and have been between the upper 160's and upper 170's since then.

You can do it!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-09, 07:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 261.5/245/180 Male 5 ft, 11 in
BF:BMI - 36/34.2/25
Progress: 20%

I was 17 the first time I started Atkins, los over 100lbs, now i'm 21 and starting over again. I think the hardest aspect of being young and LC is that temptation is everywhere, and also we're still discovering who we are and since personalities change we to to change our habits, sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad.

I also think being LC when your younger means you're probably going to lose slightly faster than older LC ppl.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-09, 12:31
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 135/135/135 Female 5'6"
BF:17%
Progress: 100%

If you consider 50 lbs ALOT of weight then yes. When I was 14 I lost 50 lbs and have since become an athlete. I didn't lose the weight low carbing but I now do IF (20/4) and very low carb (<50 net grams a day) and have for a long time now and I feel great.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-10, 20:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/185/140 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 55%

I once lost 45lbs on low carb in I think 8th grade. Then again the summer before my senior year I lost 30, never hit my goal weight but this time I plan to do it. So far since december 1st i have lost 20lbs and my goal is to weigh 140. I am looking for a really good female friend on here that is my age to support me and have a buddy to chat with so If your interested im here