Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: ss
Stats: 206/205/150 Female 5feet 3inches
BF:
Progress: 2%
Question I Need Help!! Are You Sure This Is Going To Work And When?

Hi Everyone,

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE BEEN SOMMERSIZING FOR A WEEK NOW AND AM NOT LOSING WEIGHT.
DO I HAVE TO WAIT A WHILE FOR IT TO KICK IN? AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG? IM AFRAID I WILL GET DISCOURAGED UNLESS SOMEONE CAN OFFER ME SOME HOPE. BY THE WAY THIS IS THE REASON I QUIT ATKINS(HADNT LOST WEIGHT AFTER A WEEK).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 14:40
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Reread Atkins Do It For More Than 1 Week.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 15:20
Registered Member

BF:

Is Atkins better than sommersizing?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 17:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

Just my opinion, but I think Atkins is better than Sommersizing.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 20:11

Plan: somercise
Stats: 240/172/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:26
Progress:
Default somersizing

I have followed the ss plan for over a year and lost 80 pounds I hit a plateau for aobut 6 months and started trying other plans and am now up 5 pounds from that plateau!!! I have destroyed my frame of mind when it comes to eating I really need to get back to the ss plan and get motivated it really does work and the best thing is that there is no counting of cals, points, or carbs. I'm not sure about all of you dieters out there but when someone tells me i have to count what goes into my mouth I tend to get a little nutty about the whole thing and it always backfires on me so back to ss I am going!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 00:15
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Sheila A.,

Im no expert but Im guessing you hit that plateau because you are so darn close to goal weight. I have a ton of questions I want to ask you , I hope you dont mind. How long did it take you to start losing weight? Did you limit your portions at all? Did you limit the number of carbo meals you had? Anything else you think I should know?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 00:22
Registered Member

BF:

Sheila A. - Thanks for responding to my question. How can you be so sure it will start working?

Teresa - I found it interesting that our start weights and goal weights are almost indentical. I am just starting week two. Looks like we are going on the same journey.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 11:30

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%

IMO Atkins is a quick fix that is too hard on the body in the long run. I tried Atkins a couple of years ago and lost 15 lbs. Then I couldn't stand the sight of meat and cheese anymore and started to feel sick. Gained all the weight back. Semi low-carb vs Atkins is like the race between the tortise and the hare. Slower but you can do this for life.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 12:03
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Quincy,

Do you think this sommersizing plan is okay? any idea how long it might take me to start losing weight?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 12:31

Plan: sommersizing
Stats: 203/190/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

It's me again. I know how you feel. At times I have felt the same as you in that you think that "I'm just going to be this way for the rest of my life." But then something inspires us to try again. For me I really feel that this is the way for me. I hope it is for you too. Do you have one of the ss books. I got all 4 I believe, from the library and read through them. They are repetitive except for the different recipes. I then made a list of okay foods and then I made a menu and then a grocery list. Like you, with kids you can't really get rid of the cookies etc. but maybe having a shelf with your stuff on it would help. I am doing somersizing but there are days when I don't have fruit or hardlly any carbs. If you do have them, eat them in the morning. I did atkins before and that seems to still be a part of me. It is working though. Maybe you should try atkins for the induction phase so it's called. That's when you limit your carbs to under 20 and there are food limitations. I can't exactly remember what they are. Read up on this way too and maybe combining the two would work better. Let me know. And you should try to get a journal started. TeresaV
PS I just read that you did try atkins too. Do you really stick with the plan wholeheartly, keeping a tab on the carbs?

Last edited by TeresaV : Wed, Jan-28-04 at 12:33.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 19:44
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Teresa and everybody,

I have eat,cheat and lose weight . I have read it twice.
when I did atkins I did 0 carbs, nothing , nada , zip, zero, and it still didnt work. I do have to say I feel alot better on ss. Im planning on sticking it out. I just wish somebody could guarantee me that my work will pay off. I think I just need to chill(my emotions not my eating habits) and see if it hasnt kicked in , in a couple of weeks.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 22:31

Hi fungirl.
From what I understand about Sommersizing, it seems to combine alot of diferent diet ideas which I think would complicate it. I think it really limits your caloric intake. This can lead to frustration and binging. If it works for you, fine. If you are wondering if there is something better, I think so. In Canada (I see your from Edmonton) The G.I. Diet is quite popular and is a bestseller in bookstores. I am amazed at how simple, effective and do-able this program is. It's not a big book - $10.00 paperback. Easy to read and figure out. You may want to check out their website at gidiet.com
There's a lot of different "plays" you can make to get to the goal. Don't give up.

Last edited by Quincy : Wed, Jan-28-04 at 22:32.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:07

Plan: somercise
Stats: 240/172/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:26
Progress:
Default fungirl

I started to loose weight right away I think like 10 pounds within 8-10 days then just kept loosing 2-3 pounds/wk. I did not limit my portions just ate till i was full but was very strict to follow level one guidelines.. I ate carbs for breakfast everyday, my stomach does not do very well with just pro/fat in the morning. When the weight loss slowed down I backed off the cream cheese laden desserts and ate a piece of fruit or cheese at night and that did the trick for me until I hit the plateau. I also ate Breyers no sugar added ice cream many days with no problem...it is different with everyone I looked at the south beach diet and I don't think I could make it thru days without a fruit or carb.
With SS I have to say that the more planning you do for your meals the more successful you will be it's when you wing it for dinner that gets you in trouble. My kids are 5 and 8 and love chix nuggets and fries pb and j sandwiches and it is real hard to resist a gooey pb and j sandwich!!! I hope this helps.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:25
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Sheila,

Your success is very motivating. Can you give me an example of what you might eat in a typical day.Thanks
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 20:30

Fungirl.
Ok, I think I was a little pushy with my "GI Diet". After I read the post I left it looked like I was slamming SS and putting GI on a pedestal. Anyway, sorry. I think SS or any major diet discussed in this forum will work if you are committed to it and see it thru to your goal weight. Hopefully I can stay on track this time and not experience the train wreck of binging, denial, frustration, and eventual resignation, wallowing in a pit of self-doubt and despair wishing I could physically rip the fat off my body. Well, that's probably a little melodramatic but you know what I mean. This is my third go around on three different plans. Slow but steady is my motto now.

Last edited by Quincy : Thu, Jan-29-04 at 20:36.