Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-17, 14:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/222/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 28%
Unhappy Help Constipation Is Making Me Want To Quit

I have been doing low carb for 5 months. Doing well except for constipation and thinning hair. I don't want to quit.... Help I am nearing 30 lbs. I need advice

Last edited by lgoldie : Mon, Jun-19-17 at 14:16. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-17, 15:00

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I went through exactly the same thing a couple of months ago and almost gave up. Glad I didn't! I'm sure more experienced people will chime in with more helpful suggestions. I don't know about the hair issue, but I can tell you what helped me greatly with the constipation:

1. I quit ALL dairy (except for grass-fed butter). Dairy plugs me up from head to toe.

2. I started taking a magnesium citrate supplement, first in powder form dissolved in water but that got old fast so switched to capsules. I take 320-500 mg, which is about 80-125% RDA, and it does the trick for me. Some people go a little higher.

3. I make sure I drink lots of water. Everyone says this helps, only because it's true! At least a couple of liters a day. I go for as close to a gallon of plain water a day as possible.

4. Couch potato that I am, I make a conscious effort to get up and move around as much as possible over the course of the day. A 10-15 minute walk up and down the block works wonders. It helps shake things up!

5. Don't forget to eat your vegetables! High-water-content salad vegetables like celery, cucumber, bell pepper, radishes, romaine, etc. are wonderful. Broccoli and Brussels sprouts topped with butter, too, if you're that far up the ladder.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by barb712 : Mon, Jun-19-17 at 18:14.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-17, 16:20

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I quite the diet twice at about four to five months in because of the same reason. This time I decided going into it that it was going to be" Solutions not excuses!" and wrote it on a poster to remind myself. This time upping the mag did the trick for me . The advise last time was more fiber good luck with that one. It just made it so much worse.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-17, 16:51
Registered Member

Stats: 187/181/150 Female 5' 9''
BF:
Progress: 16%

Try taking a tablespoon of coconut oil. My girlfriend who is always low carb, lost a lot of hair..and started taking hair vitamins her stylist suggested and her hair is back in full. I don't recall the name.. but I recall looking them up on amazon when she mentioned them and they were there.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 05:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote from the Duke Clinic:

Quote:
Drink Lots of Liquids: It is important to drink an adequate amount of fluid per day – preferably water or another non-caffeinated beverage.

Constipation: If you are experiencing constipation (hard stools or hard-to-pass stools), there there are a number of ways that you may address the issue.
-use 1 teaspoon of milk of magnesia at bedtime daily
-add ½ cup of fiber-rich vegetables to your diet per day
-have 1 to 2 servings per day of sugar-free gum or sugar-free candy that contains sorbitol or another sugar alcohol
-use sugar-free Metamucil twice a day

When we have determined which approach will be best for you, you may use that method until symptoms resolve. If the issue persists and you need additional assistance, consult your health care provider.

As Barb also wrote, the magnesium powder (natural calm) is great but an extra step to take before bed. Since I take half my vitamins after dinner, it is easier to include a magnesium capsule then.

Also a previous post on hair loss with links to other posts:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=469122

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-20-17 at 05:48.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 08:28

BF:

I bought a pack of Trident chewing gum a couple of weeks ago, too, as I heard sorbitol and xylitol have a laxative effect, among other positives. I can't tell that it's helping yet, but it certainly isn't hurting!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 08:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

One thing I haven't heard mentioned is probiotics. Get the refrigerated kind from the health food store; the problem is often lack of the right gut bugs.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 09:23
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I can't add any more than what others have said except to say, DON'T let this stop you from doing LC! You've done super duper so far! WTG!

Wishing you continued success on your journey to better HEALTH!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 09:39

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisagirl
Try taking a tablespoon of coconut oil.

I 2nd this, but you might want to start with less - just in case. My husband had years' long constipation issues, but dropping wheat & sugar helped. Then he added creamed coconut (he doesn't like coconut oil) & 1-2 tablespoons a day keeps him regular. He just told me the other day that his hemorrhoids have been gone for a while.

Every time he thinks he can handle a wheat treat, he has issues again. So he's avoiding those now.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 12:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have so many foods that make me go, my problem is the opposite. Maybe some of my "go" foods will work for you?

Almonds, cashews (almost any nut), coconut oil, lots of raw veggies, avocados

I find dairy (other than butter) is very constipating. Especially cheese.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 14:18

BF:

I find avocados are good, too. ☺
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 14:54
On my way to goal

Plan: General lower carb
Stats: 220/210.4/180 Female 68 inches
BF:Top Weight = 323lb
Progress: 24%

I generally find that walking is natures laxative. Are you getting any exercise?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-17, 16:06
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I lose my hair fairly easily from stress and low thyroid problems and Rogaine for women stops it from falling out. There are all kinds of B vitamins and biotin mixtures called stuff like Hair, Skin Nails that help your new growth be healthy.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-17, 09:20

Stats: 250/222/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thanks everyone. I am drinking Miralax in the AM and Metamucil in the evening. Today and last night , I went. One thing I noticed is since I am eating less, I am going less. Poo is not hard.No exercise. Time to start that. Lots of water. Seeing Gastroenterologist tomorrow. Kinda scarey, had breast cancer 3.5 years ago....
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-17, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Best wishes on your doctor appointment.