Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 08:41

Plan: CAD
Stats: 180/178/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:
Wink New to This Group

Hi everyone, I tried the CAD program a couple of years ago, and lost 18 pounds,then carelessly went off it,and gained it back. I know this diet works,and I find it easier than other diets,and This Time,I am determined!

I do have a question; Can the CAD diet damage your liver or kidneys by staying on it? I am a big water drinker,which I think is essential for any diet. I'm also interested in finding out what people eat for breakfast. I love eggs,but just afraid to eat too many. I have a problem with my ankle,and really do need to lose weight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 09:08
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

welcome! and Happy Easter!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-06, 09:09
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

Hi I am glad you are here, I have only been here a short time but I've learned a lot and lost a bit, too.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 18:22

Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

Hi. I lost weight on this plan in 2000. it was wonderful and so easy to follow. I have struggled over the last 2 years, jumping from plan to plan and trying to find my dedication. I am continuing to work on it. The weight is coming off slowly now but it is coming off. I have to do some tweaking but overall it is going well! I need to just DO IT!!!

I do best with Rm's for suppertime. For breakfast I like protein shakes, eggs of all kinds, lean ham with veggies or string cheese. I am currently keeping track of calories because mine were throught he roof!!! I am only 5ft so I can't eat as much as others can. (AND I am 42 AND on meds that cause weight gain) All these things make it more difficult but not impossible to lose!!!!

WELCOME!!!! to both of you!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 19:01

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Welcome! There is no reason why CAD or CALP will damage your liver or kidneys. Obviously, everything in moderation. I would not eat HUGE amounts of protein, for instance, but I don't believe anyone really does. About 60 grams of protein for an average size woman is normal. If your liver and kidneys are in good shape then this very modestly low-carb diet will certainly not damage them. It's great that you drink lots of fluids. The liver is usually damaged by drinking too much alcohol, for instance.

It is a myth that eggs will make your cholesterol rise significantly. Eggs are wonderful sources of protein, keep you from hunger pangs for hours and are a great source of lutein for the eyes (prevents macular degeneration in old age). I like to make low-carb crepes for breakfast sometimes without anything but butter on them. They're mostly egg and pretty low-carb.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 05:25
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Welcome-
I agree with everything Sue has said. This is a great plan. I eat 2 eggs every morning- no problems. I seem to not have a problem with boredom (LOL) as I have the same breakfast CM everyday.
Hi-
E
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 06:17

BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for your info and replys. What is the difference between CAD and CALP? Is one better,or easier than the other?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 08:55

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

One thing I should mention. Sometimes people develop an allergy if they eat too many eggs every day. I think this is fairly rare though.

Okay, I know very little about CAD (I have the CALP book), however I know something about the apparent differences. CALP was written later than CAD, because people were tending to overdo carbs at the reward meal and not seeing the best results. CALP adds some guidelines for that meal and also some extra options one can employ to enhance one's success on the program. That said many people use CAD and lose just fine.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-06, 19:46

BF:
Progress:

Thank you Sue,I'll have to check out the CALP,as I have a tendancy to overeat on carbs on my rw meal. Also, I don't know why,but I always eat too fast,and I know thats not good;just a bad habit I guess.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 11:13

Plan: IR
Stats: 220/217/175 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Question for a message from Karen

Karen you said that you have protein shakes for breakfast. I think that would be great I love eggs but would like a change. What kind of protein shake do you use I am not sure what we can have in that area. Hope all had a great Easter. I am now down 18 1/2 lbs. and I love this program. I have now ordered just about every book that the Hellers' have written. Thanks Doris
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 11:24

BF:

I have another question I have as I said almost all the books can someone give me the title of the CALP book so I can see if I have that one. I looked through the list of their books but don't know which one it is. Thanks Doris
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 19:00
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Carb Addicts Lifespan Program (CALP)
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-06, 06:36

BF:
Default Thanks Eno

I appreciate the name of the book that is one I don't have but have already ordered it. Does anyone know a protein shake that will be alright for breakfast and still be on program?? Thanks so much for all the
Doris
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-06, 10:52

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bero48
I appreciate the name of the book that is one I don't have but have already ordered it. Does anyone know a protein shake that will be alright for breakfast and still be on program?? Thanks so much for all the
Doris

Hi Doris

The Hellers really say to focus on real, whole foods. They discourage the use of protein shakes. I have tried them and they make me hungry so I know they throw my insulin out of whack. I actually think its the artificial sweetner in them that causing the cravings for me. Its a YMMV type thing.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 09:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4boys
Hi Doris

The Hellers really say to focus on real, whole foods. They discourage the use of protein shakes. I have tried them and they make me hungry so I know they throw my insulin out of whack. I actually think its the artificial sweetner in them that causing the cravings for me. Its a YMMV type thing.

Jill) appreciate the help with the protein shake question. What do you eat for breakfast? Since I have started CAD I have been eating eggs I do worry about eating to many. Do you have any other suggestions, the other meals are no problem just breakfast. Thanks Doris