Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 08:28

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%
Default Favourite ideas for increasing fiber without effecting carb or protein counts???

I was used to eating a LOT of veggies and along with that comes plenty o fiber, but i'm currently eating VLC/restricted protein and i'm missing the amt of fiber that i used to get. i went from super lazy keto to weighing and measuring everything, and tracking all of it. my naturopath wants me taking fiber every day to help soak up extra estrogen, and of course, it helps keep everything 'regular'!! LOL

i've tried some interesting things to get my fiber counts up.

in elana's pantry cookbook, she talks about a flax tea where she mixes ground flax with boiling water, lets it sit for 10 min and then drinks it. i tried that but it was like a thin gruel and i couldn't do it

fung has a chia seed/water mix in his 'fasting liquids' section of the fasting book. that actually works sort of ok for me, but the texture is weird. i know some people take psyllium just mixed in water, but i can't get it down.

somebody on reddit was mixing psyllium into their fat bombs to get some fiber in. i don't know about the mouth feel of something like that!!

shirataki noodles are easy, but i can't eat them everyday.

i was thinking about making some chia/flax/psyllium crackers.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=459294
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=53249 the notes on this recipe are questionable, 3tsp? 3tbsp? too salty? ugh
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=187785
https://charliefoundation.org/crackers/ something like this might work, but the hemp hearts are too protein-y and i have no idea what that spice mix is. i'd have to use different spices and run it thru the cronometer first...

i used to make paleo english muffins which had lots of fiber and used psyllium powder as a 'flour', but can't really use them any more because they throw out my carb and protein count for the day with the egg and the coconut flour...

any other idea to increase fiber without pushing up carbs or protein???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 08:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I like flaxseed "pancakes." Taste more like french toast. You have to beat it good or it clumps. I don't have a proper recipe. Also I've seen people using various fibers to thicken sauces and gravies, that might be a way to sneak some in.

When I first went low carb, I hadn't heard wheat was evil yet, and I tried making a meatloaf with wheat bran. That's not a thing. yech.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 08:55

That's a good idea teaser. I usually have eggs for breakfast but I hadn't thought about switching to a higher fiber lc baked good that contains the eggs... That certainly gives me way more options if I'm looking at using my morning protein/carb ration to get the fiber in too
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-18, 11:21

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I use 2T psyllium in casseroles and stews to thicken them up and sop up some fat. It can also be used as "breading" when making meatballs, fish sticks or chicken tenders - just mix with herbs & spices and roll meat/fish/poultry in it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 22:25

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I sometimes make a chia pudding of chia seeds, full fat coconut milk and a tsp or so of vanilla. It's pretty yummy, has an interesting texture, is filling and full of soluble fiber.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-18, 03:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I really like flax crackers done in my dehydrator, but if you're trying to quell estrogen, isn't flax a bad idea? It's high in phytoestrogens, apparently.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-18, 08:46

thx for all the great ideas. i will try all of them!

i was also thinking about the gluccomannan puddings that i used to make, but they have artificial sweeteners in them, and that's totally off the menu for me right now

re flax and estrogen--there are different types of estrogen. flax helps soak up the bad ones, and also supplies 'good' estrogen which displaces the bad type. I'm sure there's a more complicated scientific explanation of the mechanism, but that's the super simple version.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-18, 09:41
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I whisk a tbsp. of psyillium husk powder into a large glass of water and then flavor it with a squirt of Mio or a stevia based water enhancer. Sometimes I put in a dash of salt and No Salt (potassium). It does thicken up to be sort of like a slushy without the brain freeze. It seemed kind of gross at first, but I actually enjoy it now. Lately I've been adding in a tsp of apple cider vinegar to this concoction. This makes it a little less enjoyable.

I did this for the cholesterol lowering effect of soluble fiber. Psyillium husks are high in soluble fiber. I also think that it helps me with satiety between meals. Soluble fiber slows down the digestion process, which helps with the postprandial BG from the carbs that I do eat. I drink 1 cup of this slop before breakfast and another before dinner. I've been doing this almost everyday for over 2 years. This alone adds 14g of fiber at only 2 net carbs to my daily routine.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, Apr-13-18 at 09:48.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-18, 11:23

Plan: low carb
Stats: 210/172/140 Female 64
BF:

Walnut~!
How are you doing??

Celery is my choice for fiber.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-18, 18:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I understand that avocados have a fair bit of fiber. Odd since they are so creamy. I don't eat them for the fiber, but am willing to take it where I can get it.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-18, 18:51

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Instead of gluccomannan pudding you could try Shirataki noodles. I use them all the time with meat and veggie stir fries.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 10:59

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Acacia and hydrolyzed guar gum (Sunfiber) are both soluble fibers, supposedly tasteless. I don't know because I put them in protein smoothies. Some people sprinkle on food.