Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 19:15
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 232/202/120 Female 5'3
BF:Insane
Progress: 27%
Default Slight burning sensation when I pee..

Could this be from ketones or is it likely a UTI? It's not really painful. I'm finding it kind of hard to keep my urine clear and light too. I seem to have had this since I drank alcohol last week..which I rarely ever do..Seriously, it's probably been 2 years.. So my body isn't used to that either. But even that would be flushed out of my system by now. A week ago I was doing that thing where I'd feel a strong urge to go and would only dribble but that stopped.

Any other time I've ever felt like I had a UTI, I would drank a ton of cranberry juice and apple cider vinegar and it goes away. I've never taken antibiotics for it. But I really don't want to drink juice because of the keto. I've been taking cranberry extract pills but not sure it's helping. And no, I haven't had sex so it's not anything related to that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 19:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can get pure cranberry juice without added sugar. I usually add it to sparkling water or soda water and add some sweetener. It is pretty low carb.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 20:17
Registered Member

Yeah, I never use the kind with added sugar. But to drink whole bottles of it.. way too many carbs. There's got to be another way.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 20:33

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

uva ursi is a natural herbal supplement I've used before. In fact I gave it to my cat when he got a UTI and I couldn't afford a vet till the next week. It worked. That was about 6 years ago and he's still going strong. Of course UTI's can be very serious so be cautious.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 21:05
Registered Member

lol..gave my dog cranberry extract when he had one. It worked. Did you use a pill form of the uva ursi or the liquid extracts?

Anyone know if those UTI testing strips in the drug store are accurate enough? If I can't get rid of it by Monday I think I"ll just finally get it checked and give in to gallons of cranberry juice. It's burning more since I posted this and I'm sick of it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 00:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/183/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

I had this exact thing happen to me a couple months ago.........got a UTI out of the blue after not having one for many years. I had all the classic symptoms. So I went to Whole Foods and bought organic cranberry juice in bottles with NO SUGAR added.....just the cranberry juice and nothing else. I mixed it half and half with water since the juice is pretty tart, and sipped on this for a couple days whenever I was thirsty. The carbs in the cranberry juice really weren't that high, either. Lo and behold, my symptoms went away, and I was cured!! Another plus was that during this period I actually LOST weight, so the extra carbs in the juice didn't affect me at all. Good luck to you. Just make sure you read the label on the bottle well. You
won't find this juice in a regular grocery store. It has to be from a health food type of store.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 02:21

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I just got the pill form.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 05:22

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 232/207/166 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:52/48/30
Progress: 38%

Here in the UK we have a powder that's made with cranberries (I think) that you dissolve in water and drink. I got it from a pharmacy last time I have a UTI.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 10:39
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed.
Yeah, I never use the kind with added sugar. But to drink whole bottles of it.. way too many carbs. There's got to be another way.

You drank whole bottles of it? It's so intense I'd use just a splash in some sparkling water and add some splenda. It took me weeks to use up one bottle.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 17:19
Registered Member

Yes, assumed the more I drink the faster it would get flushed out.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 00:44

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

Cranberry juice can help, but the main thing is to pee as much as possible. You just want to flush all the bacteria out. Copious water should do the trick, maybe increase your salt for a few days to compensate for the increased intake of water.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 13:16
Registered Member

Urine test came out clean. Could it be the ketones and all the spicy food I've been eating? This is really weird.

It's no longer hurting but there's something there. I shouldn't feel any kind of burn when peeing.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 13:23
Experimenter

BF:

Did you ask your doctor when you got the test done?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-31-11, 13:48

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

It-s more likely to be whatever you use in the shower!... Here in Italy, they , as everyone knows have the bidet, and we also have the specific bidet soap. Gentle, ph balanced for the nether regions..... but ... when you shower people forget the damage you can do with full on perfumed shower jell or cream. Look at what you've been using!