Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 09:30
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Thanks, Judy....but, I gotta say that it is a scary thought for me to be a role model . If there is a way to screw up, I am gonna find it every dang time!!!

I will say, though, that my apparent improved health has provided me some great opportunities to empower both type 1's and type 2's. It opens discourse which I think is soooooo important for anyone with a chronic condition. I am appalled by how little many of these people know about their diseases. It aggravates the crud out of me when doctors hand them a prescription and a diet plan and do not educate the person about what is happening within their bodies. I will agree that unfortunately denial is often a phase of disease acceptance, but I wish there was MORE information about diabetes treatment other than the ADA recommendations. I have to say that when I first read Dr. Bernstein's books I actually teared up with relief. It gave me support for what my body was telling me. By the time I found Bernstein I had been on Atkins induction for about a year. I had found by trial and error that every time I switched to OWL my blood glucose levels spiked.

I give out Dr. Bernstein's name so often that I ought to just make up some business cards for him.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread off on a diabetes rant. The maintenance tools that are important to me are:
* daily weigh-in,
*recording carb intakes a couple of days a week to keep me sensitive to EXACTLY how many carbs I am consuming. When I do this I count every friggin' carb---even the carb in a cup of black coffee, or the one in a glass of SF Arizona tea.
*CONSTANT BG tracking with 4-6 finger sticks.
*My new thing is the use of a continuous glucose monitoring system where I insert a sensor in my body and attach a transmitter to send a wireless message to my insulin pump so that I can track what the glucose levels in my body fluid are.
*Lots of Princess pampering
* my wonderful man as my personal chef and supporter
*daily posting on low carb forums with lots of great like y'all!
Sara<><
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 07:08
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I responded to his blog and he actually answered me!! I'm shocked!! and very pleased at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy
Excellent post Tom!!

I am a successful maintainer having lost 118 lbs and keeping it off for almost 2 yrs now. I'm also part of the NWCR.

You make very valid points.....and I do need to do better in a few areas myself. But I do not closely track all my calories and do pay close attention to certain levels of carbohydrates(fruit and starches) that I eat each day as I follow the SBD. I know that I need to track my fats better than I have been.

Thanks...and I think that you are brilliant!!

Posted by: Judy K | June 23, 2007 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Venuto
judy, congrats on being a successful maintainer!

I find that people do not need to closely track calories after reaching ideal weight, but I notice without a doubt that more successful maintainers DO track during the fat loss phase and I would attribute much of their success to this practice.

In fact, although the research statistics say that people who do some type of "maintenance program" have better long term success rates, I would say it is a worthy objective that once into lifelong maintenance phase, that it is better NOT to have to track everything... at this point, you have hopefully passed through the conscious phases of learning and into "unconscious competence" where habits such as tracking portion sizes have become unconscious and automatic

Before you reach your goal and ultimately, become unconscious competent however, there is no better tool for learning and accountability than tracking and journaling

my very best to you,

Posted by: Tom Venuto | June 23, 2007 11:52 AM

OMG...How cool is this?! He actually responded to me in his comments!! To me....this is very, very cool!!

and yes, I must be unconscious competent...very unconscious
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 08:54
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I've only been maintaining 2 months so far, but i think following Atkins, as written and moving into OWL has really helped me, my loss wasn't fast as some, 72 pounds in a year, but so far matinence is not so bad, because I did all my experimenting already. I also weigh every day, and if I see trends(up or down, My doctor says I am at the right weight for me) I correct my eating. I also eat fruit, its allowed on atkins, mostly berries and melons, and have found that I can eat pitas and wraps made with flax without a problem so far.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 14:59
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi-
Hi Sara!
I think the National W L Registry also found that at least weekly weighing is important. I went back to one of the articles cited (don't ask me- it was a while ago) in a book supporting this idea. The study had people weighing and reporting their weight weekly, or getting a pamphlet or some such weekly from the researchers. So I think it is not just the weighing- but being accountable that also helps some people. I weigh daily and tried being part of the weekly thread here, but for me it was not important. Being on the site and posting often is enough accountability for me- and it is important to my maintaining. It keeps CALP a priority and a daily part of my life in ways that transcend just food choices- does that make sense?
I think the 4 guidelines posted are true, at least for me.

About the food variety- it is a research finding that more food choice/selection is correlated with higher caloric intake. Again, YMMV. I limit my morning meal to the same everyday- I think it helps.

COOL JUDY about your post and his reply!!

E

Last edited by Enomarb : Tue, Jun-26-07 at 15:06.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 16:38
Princess Sara

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 210/165.6/150 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:---
Progress: 74%

Judy, That is COOOL!

Eno, As I told ya, I read a lot of the low carb plans. I find them interesting and motivating. Anyway, the Hellers talk about using a weekly
AVERAGE of weight loss. I like that idea. I think I will try that. My weight does jump around. I don't get "upset" with any day's weight, I mentally watch for repeated days. I think the average thing is a good idea.

My diabetes management HAS to take top priority. If my BG is up, I HAVE to take insulin--even if it means I will gain weight. If my BG is down, I HAVE to take glucose. Several days of insulin reactions will also make for a weight gain. I just have to accept it and get over it. Balancing my BG consistently=slow weight loss. BUT, it IS weight loss.

Part of my weight loss maintenance (food addiction recovery) is actually focusing on managing my diabetes. They are all very much alike in my brain. Chronic disease management is not unlike being in recovery from an addiction.

My point is that of course we will have to develop daily management care. It makes complete sense to me that we will have to collect and review personal data. I mean, dang, I even do this as a teacher monitoring my students' progress and educational needs/goals. I just think the key to it is to do it for OURSELVES. We determine which maintenance tools do the job. We monitor, collect, and review data---whether it be how clothes fit, measurements, body weight, occasional carb &/or calorie content, etc.

As maintainers, we have accepted that we cannot go back to limitless eating. In many of our cases, we cannot go back to eating some of the foods we used to eat. What continues to stun me is how many people believe they can intersperse the old eating patterns into their lives weight loss and weight maintenance.
Sara<><
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-07, 06:24

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hello, everyone. I'm late to the party here, but enjoyed the discussion and thought it was worthy of a "bump."

I've maintained a 60 lb. weight loss for more than a decade, with only one setback (20 lbs) which led me to take up Atkins as my lifestyle.

IMHO, successful maintainers are people who have reconciled themselves to the fact that they cannot eat like "normal" people--"normal" in American culture being a diet high in sugar, fast foods, and cereal. I believe that every successful "diet" brings us to about the same place: a healthy menu of unprocessed foods in a reasonable and satisfying quantity.

My maintenance "secrets":
--daily weighing (willful ignorance has been my downfall in the past)
--EXERCISE
--adherence to low-carb principles

I'm grateful to Dr. Atkins for providing me with the tools of thought, and freedom from low-fat tyranny.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-07, 21:34

Plan: Maintenance since 6/08
Stats: 250/189/195 Male 70 inches
BF:Not so much.
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Your welcome Sara.....sorry I did not put that caveat in earlier.

I'm a huge supporter of those with metabolic challenges, finding and sticking to their food plan, not only for weight control but for their health!!

I see way too many people who are type 2 diabetics, totally ignoring their condition and pigging out on foods that are literally killing them....and in some cases, has killed them.

To me, you are a role model for others to follow in how you handle your food with type 1 diabetes.

Wow....it's like you know my mother. She will sit and tell me that I am not eating healthy and damaging my body with atkins, while she, (type 2 diabetic) will be drinking a f*ckin' Coka~cola while lecturing me. I keep telling her that nobody likes a mom with only one foot, but she just will not listen to me since she knows more about healthy eating that I do simply because she is older. Did I mention that she would be considered "Morbidly Obese"?

It's infuriating.

ETA: I just found this thread, and thought it needed a "bump".

Last edited by pengu1 : Mon, Nov-26-07 at 21:50. Reason: clarity
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 20:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/124/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I've maintained a 60 lb. weight loss for more than a decade, with only one setback (20 lbs) which led me to take up Atkins as my lifestyle.

IMHO, successful maintainers are people who have reconciled themselves to the fact that they cannot eat like "normal" people--"normal" in American culture being a diet high in sugar, fast foods, and cereal. I believe that every successful "diet" brings us to about the same place: a healthy menu of unprocessed foods in a reasonable and satisfying quantity.

My maintenance "secrets":
--daily weighing (willful ignorance has been my downfall in the past)
--EXERCISE
--adherence to low-carb principles

I'm grateful to Dr. Atkins for providing me with the tools of thought, and freedom from low-fat tyranny.

Amen girlfriend!!!! You hit the nail on the head with your secrets. I had thought I was "obsessing" weighing 2-3 times a week so I cut back. I had also reached a low of 104 lbs and ended up with some saggy skin. Rather than bear it and plan for possible plastic surgery (a year or two down the road), I let myself gain some weight back. But 16 lbs later, I'm bumping up my exercise and will weigh more regularly. I continue to adapt recipes to LC as cooking is my passion, it certainly helps keep a variety in the diet. LC has been good to me and saved my health. Thanks to this group for support when I could use it.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 05:06

BF:

Hi, Cajun. I'm delighted to see myself quoted favorably--and at such an opportune time. Thanks.

Having abandoned my own "secrets" for a time, I'm back on the job--and back at the forum--encouraging myself and listening to my own advice. I still believe it, whether or not (kind of like religion) I always practice it perfectly.

Especially that "weighing daily" thing. Oh boy.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-10, 10:36
Attitude is a Choice

Bumping this great article/blog by Tom Venuto up!!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 15:03

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

I am not one bit surprised that people who exercise regularly and keep track of what they are eating are more likely to keep the pounds off.

Just about every weight loss program encourages doing both.

I weigh everyday because it makes it a lot harder to lie to myself.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 15:12

BF:

Hah! I noticed this article and thought it was a new post that would inspire me as I hop back on the wagon.

Imagine my surprise--here I am already, giving MYSELF good advice! I should have listened to it in the first place!

Well, better now than never. Luckily, I never lost the exercise part, which probably kept me from regaining twice as much.

Glad to be back. And weighing daily!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-10, 16:11
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Hah! I noticed this article and thought it was a new post that would inspire me as I hop back on the wagon.

Imagine my surprise--here I am already, giving MYSELF good advice! I should have listened to it in the first place!

Well, better now than never. Luckily, I never lost the exercise part, which probably kept me from regaining twice as much.

Glad to be back. And weighing daily!

Welcome Back Barbara!!
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Dec-28-10, 19:10

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Having abandoned my own "secrets" for a time, I'm back on the job--and back at the forum--encouraging myself and listening to my own advice. I still believe it, whether or not (kind of like religion) I always practice it perfectly.

Especially that "weighing daily" thing. Oh boy.

What a great way of putting it. It's great to know that we have the good advice from others, as well. I was feeling very sheepish about coming back after having done so well for so long only to mess up so badly. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what my triggers were, but so far the three things I know I need to pay attention to from here on out:

*Weigh at least once per week (there right before goal I was weighing every day and it was driving me insane)
*Always keep in mind that I can NEVER eat "normal" or I will end up sick and depressed
*Stay involved with this forum, or another form of support, to remind me of the above

Enjoying everyone's words of wisdom.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-11, 11:45
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Freckles-
I have been on this site since finding it after my first 6 months on LC. It has been a major support for me- and i keep learning!

I think what you said about "I can Never eat 'normal' or I will end up sick and depressed" is really important. We get seduced by all the people around us, and the media and the social pressures- seduced by the idea that we can eat like other people. Nope. This is how I need to eat to feel good and be healthy- period. It is not a diet, it is not temporary, and it will not magically "change back" so I can be 'normal'.
This site gives me the support I need to stay the course. In my world, I have great support from family and friends- but very little understanding or acceptance of LC. I still hear 'moderation', 'calories',low fat, fruit (that one drives me crazy)- all the buzz words that our society believes is a healthy way to eat. I am optimistic that the tide may be turning, and the facts about LC are entering the mainstream. But meanwhile- here I am.

Happy 2011 everyone- wishing all of us a GREAT year.

E