Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 15:36
Registered Member

Plan: aitkins but kind of modified
Stats: 72/62/58
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default very young children on LC??

My husband and I have been low-carbing for about 3 months now and totally feel better, healthier etc etc and want this for our children. My daugher is 3 1/2 and my son just turned 1. As we live in NZ we don't have the books available to us that are out there about LCing and children so I thought I'd ask if anyone had any info to pass on. As they are children I know they do need carbs for energy (and they sure are energetic kids) but how much?? We slowly substituted white bread for whole grain and rye and they are okay with that, but they still have Weetbix, Rice Bubbles or Cornflakes for breakfast and either some bread/pasta/rice with their lunch and dinner. So far we haven't limited fruit or anything like that - all we have done is cut out anything more processed than fishfingers...
Ummm, help! I'd hate to accidently harm my kids by trying to get them to eat better!
Suzy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 215/206/110
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Boy I hope someone answers you

Because that same question runs through my mind daily!

(Obviously, I don't know the answer)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 19:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

It is quite likely that your children have not developed an unhealthy cycle of eating too much for their daily energy usage. This means that the body is still well tuned. In the first 2 to 3 years, a child should actually look chubby, and then lose their baby fat. After that, a child should look healthy and thin while eating foods that supply nutrition in correct quantities. Moderate to high carb is ok for them because they use so much more. What isn't good for them is routinely high quantities of refined sugars, in substitution for nutritious calories. Help them appreciate moderate amounts of complex carbohydrates combined with meats and other sources of essential fatty acids, and their bodies will not go out of tune and they won't have compulsions about food.

If a child (over age 4) already demonstrates obesity, they already are in need of corrective measures. By all means, let's get them what they need, and that is LC, cutting down the refined carbos, finding the highest amount of complex carbs they can stand and trimming them while building up their self esteem. It isn't about fault, you know, it's about love. You love them, and you'd do anything for them. They'll live to thank you.

A VERY IMPORTANT POINT - If you cannot legislate the increase in water consumption that will guarantee their ability to flush out byproducts of ketosis, then you ought not to put the child on a strict low carb diet. Noone needs a child with kidney failure.

Last edited by LCer in NW : Tue, Feb-12-02 at 19:10.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 10:44

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Default I may have to try this with my small one

My daughter, who will be 5 in April, shows a strong preference for all the high-carb things she really doesn't need. Up until recently I was even supplying them for her--what was I thinking!!??? It just struck me the other day, she could well wind up where I was as a child--overweight, unhappy, the outcast at school. If I can prevent that from happening, I will.

She LOVES her Chicken McNuggets, but she doesn't care for fries. That's good, IMO. She also LOVES the chicken Caesar salad with ranch! This is also good. It's the sweet tooth I'll have to combat most with her--the ice cream, cookies, candy. We don't buy a lot of candy, but my roommate (who can't seem to decide whether he wants to get healthier or not--he makes half-baked attempts to go LC but then "gives himself permission" to go back to the Guinness and pizza on the weekends) is always bringing home ice cream, pizza bites, bagel bites, White Castle cheeseburgers... all kinds of junk food.

I really want to save Kelley the heartache I endured as a child from the age of about 5 on up. She's almost there now. I guess I don't really have a question, but I'd like to hear how some of you other parents are working this. It's not about control, it's about *love*. She's the only one I have, y'know?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 18:44

BF:

Yeah, I know. Our only child (daughter) just turned 5. She likes fries but doesn't like potatoes. huh? We have never allowed her to go whole hog on sugars, and so far she has not exhibited tendencies toward being overweight. Most of her food is carbs, and most of her carbs are complex. We don't frequent bargain burger establishments and don't do alot of preformed foods like fish sticks or pizza pockets. If left alone, she would pick fresh blueberries and strawberries, and sometimes eat them with yogurt.

In a non confrontive way, gradually wean your daughter off sugary treats by providing 100% juice popsicles, apples, oranges (mandarin are especially sweet), then toward lower carb fruits like blueberries and strawberries, and help her transition to nuts and vegetables. Help her develop an appreciation of as many sorts of food as possible.

You might have to have a talk with SO about how you are going to guide your daughter.

I hope some others will chime in as well about what they do and how.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 19:09

Plan: CALP
Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Carbohydrate Addicted Kids

The Hellers do have "The Carbohydrate Addicted Kids" book. If you have access to Ebay, you might be able to snag a copy there!

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 20:49

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Cool Thanks for the advice!

LCer, thanks so much. It's encouraging to hear from someone with a child as young as mine. I think if I start *now* we can get her on the healthy track.

Lisa, I'll have to check that book out! Sounds like preventive maintenance, sort of.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 20:23
Registered Member

Plan: pregnant so maintenance level
Stats: 136/122/---
BF:
Progress: 89%

Suzyjam,
Hi, I live in Christchurch too! I don't have kids yet, but our first is due end of September, and I plan to raise he or she in low(ish) carb fashion. I was a huge sugar addict, so don't want my children suffering the same way I did.
You're right about the lack of low carb books available here, but the public libraries have a few. I seem to recal Protein Power Lifeplan has some info about how children can lowcarb, and is an extremely informative book to boot. If you find it too technical there are summaries at the end of each chapter.
go to http://www.library.christchurch.org.nz/ and look in their catalogue for which library it's in.
I hope this helps
Angela
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 08:59
Registered Member

Stats: 225/194/160
BF:
Progress: 48%

I really worry about my 7yo. I see the same obsessiveness about food in her that I see in me. She is overweight and can eat and eat! She would down 3 PB&J sandwiches if I let her. She is very active, loves to jumprope and play outside. She WANTS to do my diet (well, today anyway). I think I may allow some fresh fruit and milk in her diet, but cut out sugar and flour and see what happens. People are starting to call her "fat girl", she is only in first grade! I was a "fat Girl" too and it's just breaking my heart!
Today for breakfast she had 3 scrambled eggs and a slice of american cheese melted in, and loved it! Water to drink, she can drink a quart of juice at one sitting, hard to stop!
For lunch I packed some ham slices, 2 cheese sticks, some sunflower seeds and a small apple, she will get plain milk to drink there. She loves all these things, so she was happy with her lunch.

I think I'll make up some splenda sweetened Jello and whipped cream for dessert tonight.

Do you think I should weigh her on the scale? I don't know if I want to focus so much on weight.

Abby is such a beautifull child, she is tall, fair-skinned, blonde hair and daddy's blue eyes. I want her to feel good about herself, I've attached a picture of her I took at Easter.

Nellie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg easter, abby2.jpg (52.9 KB, 167 views)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 12:30

Stats: 269.7/224.8/176 Female 163 cm
BF:

Hello ...

I am not an expert on this, but I want to warn you people ... DON'T PRESSURE YOUR KIDS TO DIET!!!!

Here's why ...

I always had a weight problem. I was a fat baby, fat todler, fat in school, college ... and still is fat - 214 lbs. (Although I just lost 50 lbs ... again.)

Since the day my child was born I tried to get her not to be overweight. If the doctor said she was to have 50 ml of milk, 50 ml was what she got, no more ... even when she screamed for more. And that was the pattern throughout her whole life.

She is now 15 ... beautiful face (there is a photo of her in my journal), but weighs 202 lbs. Due to my "stupidity", she started to eat fast. It was as if she couldn't get enough food in her body fast enough. I sometimes think it was because I always "underfed" her ... for example - taking the bottle away while she was still happily sucking.

AND ... she started to eat secretly and she would lie about what she ate. She still does. It doesn't matter how many times I tell her it isn't necessary to keep it a secret ... it has no effect.

She was brought up between my mother, my sister and I (as I was young - 21 - and unmarried at the time) and unfortunately they did the same as I - trying too hard to make her eat sensibly and forbidding her certain foods. I feel so sorry for her.

We took her to Weigh Less with us (like Weight Watchers) and during those periods we watched her and made comments when she ate something she wasn't supposed to. Sometimes it was just a look we gave her ... but still ... I could see her cringe ...

Then a year ago I stopped all efforts. I forbid my entire family to pressure her into any diet or make her feel guilty for eating. But ... the damage is done. I just pray that she will eventually follow a LC lifestyle when she is grown-up. At the moment it is close to impossible. She lives with my sister, her husband and her 2 young kids (7 and 10) and they are on a very strict budget and again ... it will be enforced, which I don't want.

If you like ... cook LC meals for your kids ... or follow the advise of Dr Atkins ... but no pressure. Please.

For more info ... http://atkinscenter.com/dev/helpatk...hild/index.html

I also read on his site that for kids under 12 it is better to eat foods low on the Dietary Glycemic Index, instead of doing Atkins. Right now I can't find the link, but do a search on the Atkins site. It has merit.

Good luck to you all.
Rey
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 14:02
Registered Member

BF:
Default No pressure!

I'm not pressuring her to diet, she has seen me lose weight and wants to join me. We had a long talk about how "I" feel on a high carb diet and she says she always feels hungry, even after a big lunch. She helps me make her meals, and I make sure she is ok with what she is getting. She is very smart for her age and understands what carbohydrates are and which are "good" and which can be "bad".
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 14:20

Stats: 269.7/224.8/176 Female 163 cm
BF:

Hi ...

I didn't think you put pressure on her. I just wanted to share my story. I feel so guilty. And I hope the links are useful.

Regards
Rey
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 15:07

BF:

Nellie - that girl is not fat. It aint so. She is not a useless twig, either. Very healthy from my perspective. She is picking food in an informed way and enjoys just what her body was supposed to enjoy.

And, don't bother with the scale unless she is interested. If she learns to listen to her body, she won't have to try to figure it out later. Stress the way she feels, alert, less hungry, etc. This will help her pick future meals.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 15:01

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

There is also a book on the market called "Sugar Busters For Kids" and a companion cookbook as well. I haven't bought it yet, but I did page through it at the store and it looks promising. Lots of kid-friendly recipes that let them feel like they're having a treat without all the sugar. While I wouldn't recommend putting a very young child on a low carb diet, I would highly recommend cutting out most of the refined sugars, junk foods, fast foods and highly processed foods. Most of these contain very little nutrition for the calories that they provide. What they DO provide is lots of stuff that kids don't need, like trans fats, sugars, preservatives and dyes. I have two extremes at my house with my two daughters. One is 10-15 lbs heavier than she should be for her age and is already getting teased about being "fat"; she's 7 1/2 and weighs 75 lbs. She's also tall for her age, so it's not as bad as it sounds. My other daughter, who is 6 1/2, is very petite for her age (both height and weight) and gets teased for being small. I buy her "slim" sizes and she still needs a belt to hold them up. Just goes to show you...kids will tease no matter which end of the spectrum you fall into (big or small).
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 22:08
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks all! Lisa, My daughter is 7 1/2 too! But she weighs almost 90 pounds. She is tall for her age and is big boned like me. But she is a bit on the heavy side. She has rolls. I'm trying to transition my family into healthier eating. Just small steps, like I'm not buying sugary kid cereals any more. I buy Wheaties and sprinkle Splenda on it. I'm buying whole wheat bread, natural peanut butter, moving away from hydrogenated oils and sugary desserts. I made some yogurt the other day with whole milk. It truned out great! But got really runny after I added some pureed strawberries (they don't like big slimy lumps of fruit) and some splenda, so I poured it into cups and let them drink it as a "shake". They loved it! Then I made some frozen pops with the leftovers. The strawberries are just fantastic this year! I have some that are sooo sweet they don't need sugar!

The kids haven't really noticed the changes, and for the most part are ok with them. My husband is balking a bit. But hey! I'm in charge of the food, unless he wants to hire a cook!

Nellie