Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 248/212.8/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Exercise the magic pill of weight loss? Convince my friend otherwise

I have this friend..i love her dearly. She believes with all her heart that if she exercises enough, does T-25 enough and does her elliptical enough..that she will get to her goal weight. In other words...screw diets.

She also believes that if you diet and lose weight, you will look like crap if you dont exercise at all while dieting.

I love her dearly and clearly my high fat/low carb diet/IF/exercise in the pool 3x/week is too much for her to overcome.

I believe personally that diet is great.. in fact..you can diet and lose weight. Tadaa! I also believe that exercise helps keep your muscles toned and strong which helps support your skeletel system and strengthen your heart. I believe IF is benefical as well.

But she does not.

Now, unfortunately i dont know how to convince her that you cant out-exercise poor eating habits.

So now im curious...where do you stand? If you had to teach an obese person how to lose weight effectively...would you say-

Diet alone?
Diet plus exercise?
Exercise only?
IF only?
IF plus exercise?
IF plus diet plus exercise?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 17:20

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I have worked out almost every day since I was 16. A little OCD. I originally got fat in my 20's while I was doing this, and walking everywhere. And I lost the weight doing pretty much the same thing, but doing low carb. So for me, diet first, as far as weight loss goes. Also, everything I get out of fasting, at least that I can measure at home, I get from a sufficiently ketogenic diet.

I do think that if the diet is tied in, exercise is helpful. Right now I'm eating pretty much the same thing every day, as far as protein and carbs go--if I'm still hungry after I've eaten it, I might have a tea with some extra heavy cream, or a little slice of butter with some mustard--I don't seem to be extra hungry on days when I'm a bit more active, although it's hard to put any precise numbers on it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 17:21

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthardy
So now im curious...where do you stand? If you had to teach an obese person how to lose weight effectively...would you say-

None of the above until this person could tell me why they think they need to loose weight.

Sorry to side step your question but that's what I do, Tell them to do nothing except sit quietly for 20 minutes a day until an answer comes.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 17:45

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

Show her by example.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 18:24

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljohnw
Show her by example.

Yeah, I wouldn't try to convince her, just keep quiet and let her try it her way. Unless she's extremely young, exercises hours and hours every day, and excessive exercise doesn't increase her appetite significantly, then it's very likely that you'll lose more, and look better with your change in diet and moderate exercise. Surely she'll notice the difference between the results of your two plans.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 05:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I agree with the lead by example...did she know you when you dieted down to 194, I assume with less exercise than she is pursuing now? Your regain lays squarely with eating sweets, can you lose again with LCHF and modest exercise?
We belive so!

You have been given many links to good information before in previous threads, re-read some of your posts. DietDoctor has a lot on exercise, here's one on a new study why exercise won't help weight loss, but also search his site for others: https://www.dietdoctor.com/exercise...oss-study-shows

THE best short post on Total Energy Expenditure, with link to a British Medical Journal article titled You cannot outrun a bad diet!
https://intensivedietarymanagement....gy-expenditure/
What country are you in? This is a favorite U.K. Doctor, also an author of the BMJ article, and it is a short article he wrote in a US paper: https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...m=.d3ee18232eb4. Take off that FitBit!

But if articles by experts and studies on exercise and diets fail to convince her to add a healthy diet to her exercise, then as before, lead by example.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jan-27-17 at 06:14.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 05:17

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

In order to change someone's mind that person's mind needs to be open to the possibility of change. Someone who is already sure that they have the answer has a closed mind and is therefore not open to change. I agree with the others who say lead by example.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 05:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

When I was in my thirties, I worked out an hour and a half a day and averaged only 25 grams of fat per day. I thought I was being healthy. I was a steady size 12, which on me looks good and is not overweight.

Then I got sick and could not exercise. And the pounds piled on like an avalanche. I cut down my food, of course, but it didn't matter, and if I cut it past a certain point, I was screaming hungry all the time; and the pounds kept coming.

When I hit forty, and was able to exercise again, it didn't matter. It didn't work.

But people have to figure these things out for themselves.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 11:28

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 215/174.6/150 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I don't try to convince. I just say what works for me and what doesn't.

Carb restriction (after ~two weeks) means I don't experience I'm-going-to-rip-your-face-off hunger of the whole low calorie low fat approach. It works for me.

Carb restriction averts the disastrous effect sugar has on me. (Hint: Gimme more. More. More more more.)

Carb restriction is REALLY easy to do in a restaurant, which is important because I'm on the road a lot. Way easier than worrying about calorie count. Again, this is for me, maybe not everyone.

Diet and exercise both have health benefits beyond weight loss. That's the way I like to think about it.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 13:37

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

This discussion reminds me of another somewhat more heated discussion I had with somebody on another forum discussing weight loss. He's firmly in the "eat less, move more" / "calories in, calories out" camp.

Anyway, somebody else asked for advice there one day, this guy trotted out the above line, I called him out that it's actually not that simple, and he replied with a list of 30 different studies that "prove" he's right. He actually keeps this list on file somewhere so that he can copy/paste it in response to anyone like me who belongs to, in his words, "the most annoying cult on the internet".

So I countered with my own experiences. My experiences alone don't counter the studies, which in most cases seemed to show that the type of diet didn't matter. Which is fine by me. My problem was that he was using these studies to claim that there's no substance to low carb at all, which the studies themselves did not actually demonstrate. Some people lost weight using low carb, others lost weight using low fat.

But while my experience couldn't counter the studies (nor could I ever expect them to really, I'm just another n=1), it could easily counter his "my way is the only way" conclusion he'd reached from them.

His response to that was that I was lying. Apparently I just ate less from the very start without even realising it; which I thought was kinda funny, since you know, I was actually there and he wasn't. The cognitive dissonance was pretty strong in this one.

The point I guess is that some people just will not be convinced. But equally as important a point I think is that we shouldn't feel we have to convince these people. If whatever they're doing is working for them then so be it.

So to porthardy, I would say let your friend try out her beliefs and see how they work out for her. Only if she ends up dissatisfied with the results will she become more open to change.