Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 15:00
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%
Default Anyone else feeling crappy?

Anyone else feeling crappy? I feel like I am in a brain fog and I have NO energy. I'm experiencing stomach bloat too.

I have not cheated. I have stopped exercising. Just don't have any energy. Or maybe I'm lazy? Or maybe I have no energy because I stopped?

Do you think cheese or nuts or stress could be the culprit?

red
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 19:58

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey red

Any food can suddenly make you feel crappy, I think.

Maybe you have developped an intolerance to something you're eating. I cannot tolerate eating iceberg lettuce (store-bought salads, etc) more than once per month, and I used to be completely intolerant to it for years. No, I don't usually eat that crap (nutrient void iceberg)!

Maybe you could write down what you eat and see if it's changed...

ANy added things like low-carb bread, etc? They don't make me feel too good either, and it's probably something in the bread I haven't eaten before (chems).

Good luck

Mary
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 21:21
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Mary! Thanks for replying.

I am definitely eating more nuts, and cheddar cheese than before. I am going to cut out cheese for two weeks and see if I feel better. If not then I will cut out nuts and see what happens.

I have not tried LC bread yet. But I have tried the Subway wraps, once a week. Hmm, maybe I should cut that out too.

red
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 21:57

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 122/109/110 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 108%
Cool

Hi Red,
I don't know if you'd want to do this, but I recommend eating more carbs . While Mary may be right in developing food intolerances, from my experience I get the lack of energy from lack of carbs (or lack of food). The more carbs I eat, the more energy I get. I'm not saying you should eat sugar or flour loaded carbs-- there are lots of healthy carbs you can have. Also, I don't agree that iceberg lettuce is nutrionally void. It has good amt of minerals and vitamins as well as fiber, for the little amount of calories it has. True it is mostly water and you'd need to eat lots of it for benefit, but IMO it is more healthy to eat more lettuce than more cheese.

Hope you feel better soon!

Rose
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 17:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

It could be winter blahs, too. I've heard that lack of daylight can actually cause an increase in insulin levels. So who knows? It might go away on its own as spring arrives.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 08:43

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

Also, eating too much cheese may cause other problems such as constipation. Could this be part of the problem. Another thing, be careful what you do take if you have this problem. Before I had a very good discussion with my doctor about the "C" problem, I would take a laxative from time to time. When I did I felt so bad I could hardly hold my head up. She warned me against them for various reasons and suggested pure fiber pills. Things have been much better. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

I also like the suggestion that maybe you need to up your carbs, preferably with some good veggie carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:09

BF:

Hey red

I PM'ed you about this, but for everyone, the www.atkins.com site has that very question in the ask an expert section.

I haven't read it yet, but I will now...

M
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 09:16

BF:

Found it!

Basically, she says that those starting out should check with a doctor first, then accept that our bodies are making a huge life change, switching from sugar burning to fat burning, probably for the first time. It should go away in a week.

I am sure, red, that you've been on it a while. Maybe you should take more vitamins...?

As well, are you eating other things that trigger, like what kind of sweetener do you use? ANy? Are you drinking regular coffee? It triggers me (and I still drink it!). Or if I don't eat properly during the day, say, only having that damn coffee for breakfast and nothing else for a few hours, I really poop myself out before and after I eat. About two hours after I eat, I finally get more energy back.

Mary
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:23

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I think you should add in some whole grains to your diet, it will up your carbs, but not harm you. Look for some low carb breads that are made with whole grains. As well there is some regular whole grain breads that are about 11-13 grms after the fibre. You are on maintenance, you should be fine with these. Drop the nuts but have natural Peanut butter on that bread!

Enjoy it :>)

Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 13:37
"Natural Mystic"

Thanks Mary, Rose, Kristine, Anleigh & Kathy for the suggestions. I don't get a PM notification. I will check my PMs more regularly.
Quote:
As well, are you eating other things that trigger, like what kind of sweetener do you use? ANy? Are you drinking regular coffee? It triggers me (and I still drink it!). Or if I don't eat properly during the day, say, only having that damn coffee for breakfast and nothing else for a few hours, I really poop myself out before and after I eat. About two hours after I eat, I finally get more energy back.
I don't drink coffee. I drink water and sometimes club soda. I strted drinking green tea now. I also eat every 2-3 hours. I don't use sweetners.

I don't use laxatives. I have psyllium sometimes of flax seeds (grind them up and make a cereal with coconut milk). I'm not constipated for sure.

I am going to go read the article now.

red
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 09:17

BF:

Hey red

How's your energy? Any better?

Mary