Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 09:42

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm really curious about this, because I ordered a test kit, not just a lab ticket to take to the lab. The $39 price is good for the month, so I'll wait to see what I get in the mail before ordering any more.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 15:28

BF:

Apparently I was wrong. I have to go in to get the blood drawn. I had checked, and the closest lab shown was in another state! I did a live chat and they actually found one right in my town.

Just be aware that this is NOT a test kit that you do at home.

I also asked if I can order additional tests for $39 and use them over the course of the next year to re-test. She said yes.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Wed, Oct-13-10 at 07:23.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-10, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I also asked if I can order additional tests for $39 and use them over the course of the next year to re-test. She said yes.
When I asked on live chat they said they were valid for six months so that would mean you'd have to use them before the end of April next year.
Still is not a bad offer. I wish I lived somewhere I could get a 25(OH)D test for £25.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-10, 07:24

BF:

I asked about expiration dates, too. She said each requisition is good for 6 months, but if I don't use it for 6 months to just call and they'll extend it in their records.
I prefer the test you do at home, but for $39 as opposed to $70, I guess I can drive to the lab in town!

PS: Don't you just love live chat for support issues?
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-10, 03:05
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
PS: Don't you just love live chat for support issues?
It's even better than a telephone call because you can be getting on with other stuff while waiting for the person you are "chatting" with to reply, and better still you can have a transcript of your exchange emailed to you so there is no room for misunderstanding on either side. I'm always a bit reluctant to phone USA numbers from the UK so being able to deal with real people online this way is really good for me.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-11, 17:36

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Just got my D level tested for the first time. It was at 92! I have been taking 10,000 iu D3 5-6 days a week for at least six months. Am planning on dropping back to 5000 iu per day. Sound right? Hutchinson, I'm looking at you . . .
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-11, 18:18

BF:

There are a number of doctors and researchers in the field of Vitamin D who keep their levels up around 120. Just something to consider. I wish my results were 92. Right now I'm not taking any supplements, but will probably be starting up again later in February. I plan to take 10,000 a day for a couple months and then re-test.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-11, 18:38

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Wow. I didn't know that. My doc said anything over 100 is considered potentially toxic. I'll have to do a little more reading I guess.

By the way, mad props on your weight loss Bawdy! The hcg seems to be working for you.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-11, 00:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BFFM, BFL
Stats: 130/113/112 Female 64
BF:20%/17%/15%
Progress: 94%

I had mine tested last April. It was at 69. I had been taking 5000 IU of D3 (softgels) for several months prior to the test. I backed off the dosage in the summer since I was outside so much, but started back again in October. I'm going to use the lab that was mentioned earlier in this thread to get it tested again soon.
The test last April was through my doctor. He was really surprised that my D3 level was that high. When I told him how much I was taking, he told me to cut the dose in half I did not take his advice, as I want to keep my levels high.

Thanks for all the great info in this thread!
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-11, 04:15

BF:

Here's a good place to start: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

By the way, I had mine tested at the end of the summer, and I'm outside a lot. It takes aobut 4 hours to cut our lawn, so I was out there in the sun (no sunscreen or anything) for hours at a time, virtually every day. My levels were still low. I thought they would be through the roof, but no. Of course, I'm pretty far north, in Maine.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-11, 06:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

My level was around 12. They ordered D2 50,000u 1 cap 2x week. I trashed it. Have been taking 5,000iu of D3 for a week now, but going to up it to 10,000iu daily. I'm suppose to retest in 3 months. I'll try this to see what happens. A smarter MD ordered D3 over a year ago for my deficiency, but I guess the dose was too low. Levels stayed in the area of 10-20's. Let's just see what I can get with 10,000iu daily. There's so many suggestions out there that say it's too much. But there are also so many out there that say this dose is necessary. I'm trying it. Should I take the 2 tabs (5,000iu each) together or one in morning and one at night? Or does it matter?

Donna
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-11, 10:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I doubt it matters when you take them. Take it with fat if it's a dry form of D3.

They've given patients 10,000 iu of D3 for years and found no bad effects. This was in MS patients.