Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 11:35

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

- "I got kicked out of ketosis"

- "You've got this"

- "Big Pharma"

- "Big Food"

- "I'm back"

- "when I get to goal..."

- "maintenance is hard"

- "life happened"

- "I lost x pounds before on (pick a diet)"

Stuff like that

PS, it would be kind of fun to construct a paragraph using all the phrases above, I might just do it...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 11:41

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
- "I got kicked out of ketosis"

- "You've got this"

- "Big Pharma"

- "Big Food"

- "I'm back"

- "when I get to goal..."

- "maintenance is hard"

- "life happened"

- "I lost x pounds before on (pick a diet)"

Stuff like that

PS, it would be kind of fun to construct a paragraph using all the phrases above, I might just do it...

#18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 12:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
"Everything in moderation."

What they are really saying: "I think I'm better and more beautiful than you, you ugly and morally bankrupt slothful glutton." (This also back translates into "Eat healthy".)

"Arterycloggingsaturatedfat."

What they are really saying: "I eat vegan for the sole reason that it makes me feel better and morally superior to you. I also haven't learned anything new since the 1970s."

"Healthywholegrains." (variant: "Hearthealthywholegrains.")

What they are really saying: "If I didn't pretend these were healthy, I'd have to eat 33 lbs of radishes just to meet my daily caloric requirements. You know, just like the cavemen vegans of my imagination, who had nothing better to do than collect and eat 33 lbs of radishes all day long."

"Cholesterolfree."

What they are really saying: "We still put this on our labels because of one dead bunny rabbit from the early 20th century, and we will do so for another hundred years."

"But the China Study!"

What they are really saying: "I hate my culture and civilization. Now how do I look in these Lululemons as I do this downward dog?"

"But your body *NEEDS* carbohydrates." (Spoken as it relates to food intake.)

What they are really saying: "I have no idea how biology actually works."

"But if you take one less bite of something other than arterycloggingsaturatedfat your body will go into starvation mode!"

What they are really saying: "Take my advice because I couldn't gain weight if I tried, which makes me better, which makes me smarter, than you."

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

What they are really saying: "I have no important responsibilities so I have time to make and eat breakfast in the morning."

"Goodfats," or "Healthyfats."

What they are really saying: "I once thought trans fats were healthy because they came from plants and were technically polyunsaturated and now all my friends and family who switched to margerine after I told them to in the 80s are dead. Oops. I hope nobody remembers that. Look over there, a squirrel!"

"Increases the risk of," and "Linked to..."

What they are really saying: "Ignore my sleight of hand as I try to imply causation from observational correlation in order to advance my pet theories which confirm me in my moral superiority to you."

Please add your own.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 16:05

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

What do you mean you can’t eat bread. Not even whole wheat bread? What’s wrong with bread...Oh, I could never give up bread!

(Oh, grow up people!)
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 23:47
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

HAHAHAHAH..thanks for the daily laughs.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

"Thegoodcholesterol" and "thebadcholesterol"

What they are really saying: I'm incapable of learning anything new when science makes further advances.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 21:57

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

No, my mind is made up—don’t confuse me with the facts.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 01:18

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's not rocket science

Whenever there is an article about weight loss by means other than low fat low cal calorie restriction, a bunch of CICO fundamentalists will chime in with this one, usually with a comment about how overweight people should stop stuffing pizza down their pieholes and get off their fat backsides and move.

Perhaps they are offended by the thought that there are ways to lose/manage weight without continual hunger, and that people can eat steak, cream and cheese without being punished?

To such closed intellectually challenged minds, nutrition is rocket science.

Last edited by Ambulo : Thu, Jun-14-18 at 02:22. Reason: Typos
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 04:43

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
[B]...a bunch of CICO fundamentalists will chime in with this one, usually with a comment about how overweight people should stop stuffing pizza down their pieholes and get off their fat backsides and move.

It's difficult to argue that this statement isn't true tho. But, I think they are stating something about a symptom - trying to answer "why" instead of "how".

Patient: Dr. I have a terrible itch all over my body that doesn't seem to go away. It itches something terrible!

DR: Stop itching, you may infect the open sores all over your body. I'll prescribe some dermis lotion for you. MAKE SURE TO USE IT EVERY DAY.

The poor girl, unknown to her via ignorance, has been walking thru a poison ivy patch each day to work. Dermis Cream may in-fact solve the "itch" symptom but until she finds another way to work, by new understanding and experimentation or even, by luck, She will continue to spread the cream to abate the itch that's caused by a choice (conscious or unconscious) that's triggered by contact with a plant.

Look backwards from symptoms to conditions and causes, then look further back.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 06:02
Registered Member

Plan: Keto-ish
Stats: 339/286/245 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Organic!
Organic!
Organic!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 06:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Grass fed. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with grass fed. But when somebody does a bit of epidemiology that lacks the resolution to establish causation, saying, "oh, that's conventional beef, grass fed beef is different." Well, maybe it is, but throwing conventional beef under the bus doesn't help--a bad study is a bad study. Also, it's not that good a defense of grass-fed beef. There are more similarities than differences between conventional and grass-fed beef, and if somebody actually gave clear proof, say, that conventional beef caused heart disease--I'd have to be very suspicious, sorry, of grass fed beef until somebody proved otherwise. I'm not putting down grass fed, I'm saying conventional beef deserves a fair trial from a healthfulness perspective.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 06:58

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

GMO, specifically when applied to Splenda. It's so refined, if there's a problem for health, it's probably not due to genetic modifications.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 09:35
Registered Member

BF:

"Fad diet." (As applied to any diet other than that published by the US Department of Agriculture.)

What they are really saying: "I trust the US Department of Agriculture to look out for my best interests. They have no conflicts of interest, right? I also think that any diet not published by the US Department of Agriculture is the the equivalent of the Grapefruit Diet."

"Any diet that singles out one nutrient for demonization is an unhealthy Fad Diet."

What they are really saying: "I've spent my entire life demonizing fat and especially arterycloggingsaturatedfat. Don't eat fat or it will make you fat, and forgawdsake make sure you don't eat that arterycloggingsaturatedfat or it will raise your cholesterol and you'll die of a heart attack!"
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 09:42
Registered Member

BF:

"But where are the studies?!" (As it relates to the Atkins/Low-Carb diets.)

What they are really saying: "The only study I've ever heard of is the Seven Country Study."

"But Science!"

What they are really saying: "I actually think Bill Nye and Neil Degrasse Tyson are scientists. "
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 09:56
Registered Member

BF:

"Empty calories."

What they are really saying: "My worldview requires me to think that this is the worst thing I can possibly say about sugar."

"I only use honey, because it's natural and wholesome."

What they are really saying: "I'm too dumb to look up honey on NutritionData.com where I would find out that it's virtually chemically identical to Sucrose and High Fructose Corn Syrup."

"I don't use artificial sweeteners because they are unnatural."

What they are really saying: "I pump myself full of synthetic hormones on a daily basis to thwart my body's most natural processes. I'm also oblivious to the fact that almost all the medicines that cure almost all the diseases in the world are unnatural."