Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-14, 18:40

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%
Default Magnesium Question.....

I ordered 2 supps that contain Magnesium

Potassium & Magnesium 40mg
Calcium Magnesium & Zinc 400mg

1st question....is that too much daily magnesium (will it kill me?)
2nd question...I've been eeeeem "whooshing" ALL day long (NOT complaining, because I was home all day) but how long does it take for your body get "used" to it....(the urgency factor)

Thank you for any comments
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-14, 18:50

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDinCA
I ordered 2 supps that contain Magnesium

Potassium & Magnesium 40mg
Calcium Magnesium & Zinc 400mg

1st question....is that too much daily magnesium (will it kill me?)
2nd question...I've been eeeeem "whooshing" ALL day long (NOT complaining, because I was home all day) but how long does it take for your body get "used" to it....(the urgency factor)

Thank you for any comments

The potassium/magnesium is not likely needed.... but you should have a breakdown of each item. Potassium mg and Magnesium mg. It isn't likely to kill you because they aren't allowed to put more than 99mg of potassium into a tablet anymore.

The Mag/Calcium/Zinc combo is not a bad supp, but look at the breakdown in mg of each one as well as the "serving size" (be sure it is for one tablet or whatever.. maybe for three of them even?)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-14, 19:06

BF:

Cal 1,000mg
Mag 400mg
Zinc 15mg
Serving = 3

Pot 120mg
Mag 40mg
Serving = 2

I got the pot because I was reading alot over "there" about the importance of it....and now I know to look at the serving size because of you!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-14, 19:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Women need about 300 milligrams per day. You'll get some of that just eating regular stuff. I do take a Mg supplement as I've been having some odd muscle twitches these past few months. I take about 800mg a day as the bones themselves store Mg and if your blood becomes depleted it means your bones are depleted.

Note that you have to be very careful when reading the labels. If you take 300 mg of Magnesium Oxide then you're only taking 24/(24+16) *300 = 180 mg of Magnesium as they count the O (Oxygen) in that 300mg. Plus MgO doesn't break down that well in the stomach and will send you to the bathroom frequently.

I take the Mg supplement sold by GNC called Super Magnesium. Your "Potassium & Magnesium 40mg" seems almost pointless. Sorry. My Potassium I get from No Salt, about a teaspoon a day. The "Calcium Magnesium & Zinc 400mg" sounds better but idk how much Mg is in there. What does the label say?

And no, Mg won't kill you. Potassium OTOH...... will hurt you in high enough (very high) amounts.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-14, 19:23

BF:

Ya...its (as magnesium oxide, magnesium aparte, magnesium glucanate) 400mg

and yes frequent bathroom visits indeed....is any of it absorbing? Ugggg ya know what I can't get all OCD on supps now. I have 6 months supply...when I "get there" Ill research better options.

Thank you
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-14, 19:42

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDinCA
Cal 1,000mg
Mag 400mg
Zinc 15mg
Serving = 3

Pot 120mg
Mag 40mg
Serving = 2

I got the pot because I was reading alot over "there" about the importance of it....and now I know to look at the serving size because of you!

If you take adequate protein and leafy greens, you will get enough potassium... BUT you should be taking in adequate sodium to hang onto it (the calcium and zinc also play a role in this as well). That first one, I take three times a day without problems. Phinney and Volek think we should be taking in 5 gm of sodium a day if we are eating a ketogenic diet.
I don't think you really need the potassium/magnesium blend though.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-14, 19:46

BF:

luvely...oh well...you live you learn.

I get plenty of sodium.

I think Im "ok" for now in the supp dept....they sure do add up! The volume is a meal in itself LOL
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-14, 03:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Two Dr. Eades recs on magnesium:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...low-carb-pt-ii/

2005 article, with types and dose also in the comment:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...d-inflammation/

The different types of mag, doses, brands, foods you are eating, tolerance build-up etc, etc, are all so different for magnesium you just have to find what works for you. I am taking Mag. Citrate 600mg but I will add or subtract 200mg depending if the bathroom effect is needed or not.