Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 21:42

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2brickie
Hey update, we have went from terrible terrible to almost completely gone. The derm doctor is just amazed. We did quit using the medicated shampoo every day, and she is now using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, the results are amazing. Thank goodness for this forum and the coconut oil. I have even been using it on her skin as she has these funny little bumps on the backs of her arms and its really helping there too. Thanks again I will keep you all posted

Oh, I am SOOO happy to hear this!

As for the bumps on the backs of her arms, have her gently exfoliate those areas using one of those bath/shower "poofy-things" (lol I don't know what they're really called. lol) and apply the coconut oil afterwards. There's a name for them, too, but I can't recall right now - I started developing them when I was heavier, but no longer! Sorry I'm not more specific, but it's late and I just finished typing, and my brain is tired.

Again, I'm so glad to hear that things are improving!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 21:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Super we will give it a try, I think its called some weird name starting with a P or a K something. I havent had them since I went lowcarb so I will give it a shot for her. Thanks again
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 12:35

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

I think even baby shampoo is loaded with chemicals.... I use Burt's bees shampoo bar. I started using coconut oil for my baby's cradle cap and my eczema a few days ago. How long does it take to see results?
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 13:21

Plan: THM
Stats: 182/154/130 Female 5'3"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 54%

Hi tunkany! How long does it take? Varies from person to person..... and, as in the case w/ 2brickie's daughter, she ended up having something else altogether that required going to a dermatologist.

Try it for a couple weeks at least, and then let us know how it's going....k?

#35   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 19:41

BF:

Mine did see the dermatologist and had guttate psoriasis, but I am glad to report that with reducing her carb intake, watching everything she is eating and using the coconut oil and oil of oregano on her scalp we cleared it up.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 07:54

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

My son had eczema until I switched soaps. Ivory soap was doing it! He uses Dr Bronners Bar soap (castile soap) now and has had no eczema since.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 06:39

BF:

Thank you guys! This gives me hope. My 6-month-old has a little cradle cap but it's not bad. She has no eczema, thank God. My two-year-old has eczema on her trunk. She had bad cradle cap as a baby and I think she still has a little crustiness. It's hard to see becasue she has so much hair. Her hair just soaks up all that oil and I'm not sure how much she gets on her scalp. I have eczema on my hands. LC and coconut oil seems to be helping a bit for both of us. I'm just so desperate to see real results. I've been using castile soap for several months for everything (hands, hair, clothes, dishes) plus various moisturizers and it didn't make a difference. I think sugar is the big culprit, because it got so much worse after I ate a bunch of doughnuts or chocolate. So that's why I started LC-ing. I think it's helping our eczema but the progress is so slow. I lost some weight though. It's hard with my 2-year-old because she whynes for food all day long. She has a hard time giving up bread, milk and cereal, so I have drastically reduced her portions but I still end up giving it to her... It's so boring to eat eggs every day for breakfast. How can you transition a toddler into LC-ing? Any help and ideas?
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 06:56
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunkany
Thank you guys! This gives me hope. My 6-month-old has a little cradle cap but it's not bad. She has no eczema, thank God. My two-year-old has eczema on her trunk. She had bad cradle cap as a baby and I think she still has a little crustiness. It's hard to see becasue she has so much hair. Her hair just soaks up all that oil and I'm not sure how much she gets on her scalp. I have eczema on my hands. LC and coconut oil seems to be helping a bit for both of us. I'm just so desperate to see real results. I've been using castile soap for several months for everything (hands, hair, clothes, dishes) plus various moisturizers and it didn't make a difference. I think sugar is the big culprit, because it got so much worse after I ate a bunch of doughnuts or chocolate. So that's why I started LC-ing. I think it's helping our eczema but the progress is so slow. I lost some weight though. It's hard with my 2-year-old because she whynes for food all day long. She has a hard time giving up bread, milk and cereal, so I have drastically reduced her portions but I still end up giving it to her... It's so boring to eat eggs every day for breakfast. How can you transition a toddler into LC-ing? Any help and ideas?
There's no reason a toddler should be on strict lc. Further, children need a lot of calories and nutritional content for growth. Switch the bread to lc whole grain, the cereal to old fashioned oatmeal, kashi, or other minimally processed grains. Minimize or avoid sugar and fruit juices. Offer plenty of raw or lightly steamed veggies. Concentrate on lower glycemic options for carbs.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 09:07

BF:

I wouldnt put your toddler on strict lc like we as adults do, but you can for sure cut back the actual amount of processed foods and stuff she eats. I have basically just started cooking everything from scratch, I dont like to feed my little girl anything out of a box and it has really helped. She loves fish of all kinds so that has been a plus too. We have her on Primal Defense from the health food store on a suggestion from our holistic vet, who is a very very good friend of ours and that has helped a ton. It just helps your intestines to get rid of the bad build up. I switched my family to the crystal light or even the walmart brand of sugar free drinks and they love it. We eat alot of veggies, mostly fresh or frozen, and I give her apples, oranges, etc. just because I think kids need alot fruits.

Good luck and just keep working at it. My kids love to snack on cheese, so I buy them string cheese, nuts of all kinds, just good healthy foods.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 06:30

BF:

I didn't mean to say that I want to put my toddler on a strict LC diet. I meant what you guys said, cutting back on sugar (candy, cake, cookies, juices) and white bread, grains, cereal. I do give her tons of fruits and veggies, she also loves to snack on cheese sticks, and soft nuts that she can chew (pine). She is having a hard time because she got spoiled during the holidays and all of a sudden, no more sugary treats! She loves sugary cereal, but now I only give her cheereos or corn flakes. She loves white bread and doesn't like whole grain bread as much. That's why she whynes all day -she is craving sugar.
I believe LC is not just for weight loss. I believe it's the healthy way of eating, even for children. The body doesn't need a lot of carbs. Too much of it, even in the form of whole grains, will cause problems later in life - intestinal problems, diabetes, heart disease, allergies. I've done a lot of research and read a lot of stuff- both quack sites and reliable sources and I've come to the conclusion that we really need to minimize our carb intake (except for fruits and veggies) and go back to eating saturated fat instead of the disease causing vegetable oils (except coconut and olive). I want to best for my children.
It's just hard to make changes when the whole family lives on a high-carb diet and they are fat and sick but don't want to change the way they eat and think I'm crazy.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 07:01

BF:

Tunkany,
I have been where you are. I had eczema on my hands for years. It was so painful and nothing helped it. From what I've read it's lactose/wheat (not having the right bacteria inside to digest either). For me, adding yogurt to my diet cured me (I did SCDiet for a while). I only use coconut oil and olive too. And the castle soap. And vinegar instead of bleach...

You might want to check out SCD diet, they claim its the healthiest diet, even for small children.

I too am trying to get my son to eat healthier. UG! At least he is not loaded with vegetable oils..but it's one day at a time to get him to eat well. Better late than never! (He loves the cookies on SCD plan.)
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 14:48

BF:

Moseyman,
Thanks, it's good to know I'm not only one thinking that eczema is caused by gut problems. I have been reading a whole lot on that SCD diet lately myself. It makes sense and I'd rather trust a lady who was a biochemist and also cured her daughter than the nutritionists who come up with the new super food every year. I've been working on this diet but I can't find the almond flour, dry curd cottage cheese around here not to mention the yoghurt. I don't have a yoghurt maker and was wondering if I can use something else, like a crock pot? I just don't have that kind of money right now to buy the SCD yoghurt maker. I've been just using probiotics for about a month.
How long were you on the SCD diet and would it work without the yoghurt?
How long did it take you to see results, did you have a die-off?
Besides the probiotics and the diet I use virgin coconut oil both internally and on my skin. Not much change yet on my skin....
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 05:56

BF:

I noticed results in about two weeks to a month on SCD. I didnt have any die-off or other odd symptoms.

I took probiotics for years and it did not cure my eczema. Some people on the diet can't tolerate milk and don't use the yogurt, and just use probiotics. Elaine does say that it would take hundred of pills to equal the same amount of probiotics that in one cup of that yogurt. As far as probiotics go, it would have to be just the main 3 that are in yogurt, because taking other probiotics may have the reverse effect. (L Bulgaricus, S thermophilus, L acidophilus only) No FOS or any other probiotics.

SCD is a different approach, you dont have die-off and all that jazz. It doesnt kill bacteria that is in the gut, instead gives back a natural ecosystem that is a balance or good/bad bacteria. Even those so called 'bad' bacteria are needed and essential for things like digestion. You cant just wipe them out - thats what got most people in the position of needing probiotics, too much anti-biotics in their past killing everything in its path.

Elaine has a part on the SCD website where she tells how to make yogurt in the oven with a 60 watt light bulb. I never tried it this way, I just bought the machine. For what 2 bottles of the right probiotics cost, I paid for my yogurt machine. (25 bucks at amazon.com) If you decide to make your own, let me know, Ive been at it so long now, I have made it simple (compared to the complex instructions they give.)

I buy raw almonds and grind them in a food processor. (used to use a really small coffee grinder) The almond flour is twice the amount I pay for raw almonds. (12 bucks a lb for flour, 6 for a lb of almonds) You only need the dry curd cottage cheese if you want to make the one kind of 'bread' on SCD. Its the worse bread I ever ate! Or the SCD cheesecake which is just as bad. I don't know why they make such a fuss about the dry curd cottage cheese - ewwww. I guess if you are a big fan of cottage cheese, its a good thing to have a healthy safe brand to eat.

I did SCD and I cheated like hell, and my eczema still got better. So I do believe there is hope. But if I stop eating yogurt for a few weeks, I start getting itchy again. It doesnt take much yogurt to keep me healthy, 2-3 servings a week now. For the eczema on my hands I had to stop using detergents completely and switched to castile soaps for everything except laundry. I never could get the hang of wearing rubber gloves and any moisterizer I used just made me itch more. Now I use nothing on my skin at all. It was hard to stop! I went thru a week of intense dryness and then my skin started to heal. I wondered if the moisterizers were adding to the problem. For years, my face was so dry I put curel on it a few times a day and it still was dry. After I stopped, I looked really bad for a week (dry and flaky) then it became normal.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 07:18

BF:

Moseyman,
Thank you so much for all this info! I think I'll get the yoghurt maker, you say about 25 bucks at amazon? I'll check e-bay too. What brand should I be looking for? As for probiotics, I use Culturelle with Lactobacillus GG (rhamnosus) as it survives stomach acid better, but it's not found on the SCD website, so it might be illegal? Maybe it's not the right species. Well I'll use it up and then try to get the yoghurt maker. I love yoghurt. I just had to cheat and get some this weekend, and the rash is coming back... or maybe it's the eggs. Last week I stopped eating eggs and my rash cleared up on my body except hands, I ate eggs this weekend and yoghurt plus I HAD to eat pizza and cake (we were over at the in-laws for birthdays and they literally didn't have anything else). Now I don't know if the eggs cause the rash, or the candida got a load of sugar or it's the yoghurt. I hope the SCD yoghurt will do the trick. I also love cottage cheese so DCCC would be awesome, I guess I have to order it thorugh peapod.com. Thank you again.
And thank you for all the people who gave avice concerning cradle cap and eczema on children.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 08:17

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Something that is frequently misdiagnosed as eczema is Dermatitis Herpetiformis and is a result of celiac disease (gluten intolerance). Here are some links to descriptions and studies about DH.