Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 15:44

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%
Smile Starting on SB today

Hi to all of you on the SB program.
Im joining you as of this morning

I joined this site about a year ago and took ages to get my act together.
Late in Feburaury I started on Atkins feully commited.
I lost 30 pound over the next 5 months and once i wa sin the full swing of it I found it easy, although its not the way i would naturally choose to eat eg; I ate NO grains and NO fruit. No milk but lots of cream
Anyway about a month ago I felt I had just cause and excuse to have a day off... that stretched over my husbands weeks holiday and here I am a month later... still not back with LCing and regained half the weight I lost
Really though I have been thinking hard about now and the future and i cant see the point in getting down to my goal only to regain the weight if I cant stick with the WOE for good.
In all hoesty i cant see me eating the really LC way forever.
Its just a liitle too out these and when you eat something really off plan it knocks me for a six.
With all my thinking i am thinking this Sugar Busters which looks basically the same as Montignac?? looks like the right long term WOE for me. It might take me awahle to lose the weight but as long as i do lose it in the end is the main thing.
A month ago when I was 155 pound I was starting to feel so much better about myself that I was no longer in such a hurry to take the rest off so i am hoping the first bit comes off again quickly and then i can just 'cruise' on down to the finish line
Looks also to me like a answer to keep my headaches/blood sugar swings at bay. In the last month I have had 3 migraines and I had only had 3 total in the last 5 months. While doing things like Weight Watchers i was constantly plagued by them. I have a friend trying to convince me to join her back there but I know thats not my answer. If you dont have a sweet tooth it may be OK but for me I just fall into the trap of making all the wrong choices for my good health.
Any way thats about me for now, I looked in on this part of the site some time ago and there was very little activity so its great to see it all a buzzing

In all my books the Sugar Busters is one of the few i dont have so i may need you help along the way a little. i have a good GI count book though. I did a brief stint on SB about 18 months ago when i wasnt this heavy with the support of 'Debbie' from the 3FC site. I dont like the lay out of there SB board though so as i said its great to find you onto it here where im already well at home
One question i do have to start with though... ARE WE ALLOWED MILK????? and COFFEE????

thanks and catch you again later
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 19:53

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi Bloom!
Welcome to the SB Forum. Glad to see you here.

Isn't it wonderful that there are so many versions of LowCarb? There's something for everyone.

In answer to your questions:

MILK: Yes you can have it in any and all forms. Be aware though that milk stalls many people. Personally I have no problem with cheese, yogurt or cream but milk just halts my weight loss dead! Its a YMMV (your mileage may vary) thing.Check the recipe section. There is a recipe for LC Milk that is made with cream. It is quite tasty.

As for coffee --- I don't drink it and I don't have my book handy to check it for you. I know that caffeine stalls some folks as it can cause an insulin surge. Again probably a YMMV. Anyone else have an answer about coffee?

molly
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 08:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236.5/210/165
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Hi & Welcome Bloom!

Here's some coffee help from the book, page 132/3

Overconsumption of regular coffee and tea also can present the problem of too much cafeine. Cafine makes the stomach produce gastric acid, which stimulates, not suppresses, appitite. Water and decaffeinated drinks, without added sugar, are preferable. You should make a conscientious effort to drink six to eight glasses of water a day. This is beneficial to the proper functions of many of your organs, especially the kidneys. Water consumed throughout the day will lessen your desire for food, thereby helping in weight control.

So, as Molly said. You'll just have to experiment to see if the caffine affects your weight loss. Coffee for me, suppresses my appitite but I dont drink it very often because I know it's not good for me.

I've come from Atkins recently myself. I lost 12lbs in about two weeks and then buckled at a birthday party and was never able to gain enough personal drive to get back on plan. I tried, but could not. I learned from that experience that elminating entire food groups was not the way for me to go long term. I gained all the weight back. Sugar Busters! is a "sane" approach to the same idea, only I feel better balanced for real life. I couldn't see going without my blueberries for long!

I've had great success with SB's so far. I've lost the weight that I gained back that I'd lost (hehehe) with Atkins. So I'm starting at that point now. A year or so ago I lost 40lbs by taking Meridia and eating a balanced diet, I also exercised like a crazy person. I know it can be done, it's just finding the right plan. I definately feel better when I steer clear from sugar.

PMS is getting me this week. I ate a cookie and a small bowl of ice cream yesterday afternoon and fell into a sugar coma! I had to go up and lay down for an hour I was so whipped. You would think I would learn eh?

Good luck getting re-started with SB. If I can help at all...just holler!

Ehren
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 10:49

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 300/294/150
BF:
Progress: 4%

Welcome Bloom!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 19:02

BF:

Hi Molly Ehren and Molly? is there two Mollies?
Thanks for your advice. I will drink my coffee for now and see what happens. I drank it through the last 5 months and dont think it affected me. Its more the milk as I hadnt had that until a few weeks ago when we bought an espresso machine and now Ive been drinking lots of milk
I got through yesterday well, wasnt totally easy but I did it, like you Ehren i just couldnt couldnt get back on the truely LC wagon!
I dont really think of this as LC . Lower than my past yes but nothing like Atkins etc but hopefully it works. I have those horrible sugar hit/hangovers too Ehren, not nice at all!!
catch you again later
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 20:20

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 356/332/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Yep there are TWO Mollies ... we have crowned the other Molly "OKMolly" (isn't that cute?) and I am just molly. That should help with the confusion.

I guess LC is all a matter of perspective. Next to Atkins SB seems quite generous with carbs but compared to the "normalfood pyramid " type diet it is quite restrictive. I like to think of it as a smart carb plan.

Glad you had a good day Jenny!

molly
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 20:27

BF:

Smart Carbs, hey yeah I like that Molly