Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 16:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185.8/185.8/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Flackers

What do you think of these Flax crackers? A Do or a don't?

http://www.drinthekitchen.com/flack...d-rosemary.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 16:05

Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

I say do it, they look yummy.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 16:10

BF:

They taste great, and it's nice to have a vehicle for cheese and dips. Here's the other Whole Foods product I have been wondering about: http://www.kalonasupernatural.com/o...vanilla-yogurt/. Too much sugar for my daily LC diet?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 16:51

Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

I definitely wouldn't do that yogurt for myself that's half my daily allowance of carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 17:23

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

The Flackers are awfully high in carbs for someone like me who shouldn't go over 10g.

Elizellen posted a simple recipe for flax crackers with only 2 ingredients - ground flaxseed and water. Mix equal parts until water is absorbed, put small spoonfuls on parchment-lined cookie sheet and spread out as thin as possible. Bake at 375 or 400 for about 20 minutes or until crisp. They are yummy. The only drawback is a slight fishy taste (why fishy when it's a grain?), but butter covers it nicely. Mixing herbs and spices and/or cheese before baking would also help, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm a lazy cook and prefer the simplest way of doing things.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 17:26

BF:

The Flackers do have 7 grams of fiber, though, which makes them have only 1 gram of effective carbs.
You're right about the yogurt, Loreli. I'm giving it up. I do crave it, which means the sugar is working its evil magic!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 19:27

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
The Flackers are awfully high in carbs for someone like me who shouldn't go over 10g.

The serving size shown on the package is 25 grams, which is 6-7 crackers. I seldom eat more than 2 or 3 at a time so the carb load is minimal. And, unlike wheat based crackers, they are filling! The ingredients are also simple: flax, vinegar, bragg amino acids, rosemary and sage. I've never made homemade ones, but these seem pretty similar. I was skeptical when I first bought them and was pleasantly surprised. I don't eat them often but they are nice to add to a plate of cheese and crackers that I might have for guests.

Last edited by Liz53 : Fri, Feb-07-14 at 20:00.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 23:50

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

These crackers are DREADFUL. Worst cracker I've ever bought. get some Skinny Crisps instead - or get some MILLED flax seed and make your own crackers.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 09:51

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
The ingredients are also simple: flax, vinegar, bragg amino acids, rosemary and sage.

According to the ingredient list they don't have Bragg amino acids but they do have vegetable protein from non-GMO soybean. I try to avoid soy, even non-GMO.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 11:11

That's interesting, Bonnie. I took my ingredients from the box in my pantry, which definitely lists Braggs amino acids and in parentheses says those amino acids come from non-GMO soybeans. I see what you are saying about the online label, though….perhaps they have changed them? Thanks for making me aware of that.

I avoid non-fermented soy but have not considered how the amino acids might be taken from the beans and whether the soy is fermented beforehand. Something else to think about…. or not. I guess I'll slowly finish my box and do some research in the meantime. Glad they are not a staple for me.

Skinny crisps - I see they contain "organic cane syrup" - is that not just sugar by another name? Sounds like homemade is the way to go. Per usual.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 12:05

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Skinny crisps - I see they contain "organic cane syrup" - is that not just sugar by another name? Sounds like homemade is the way to go. Per usual.

Yes, they do have a tiny amount of sugar - just like commercially shredded cheese has a tiny amount of potato starch - its the last ingredient listed. Per serving net carbs is 3 to 4 grams - the same as half a cup of broccoli - and the crackers taste great and are very filling.

If you like Flackers, they are lower in carbs - but personally I find them as appealing as sawdust. You can opt to make everything at home, too, from mayonnaise and salad dressings, to pâté, to your own crackers, if you have the time and the desire. I do cook a lot, but I haven't tried my hand at making my own crackers. I bet they're pretty easy to make. For now, I'm content to have a few Skinny Crisps with a meal. A bag lasts me a long time.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 12:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

I do crackers in the microwave. Flax, almond, cashew, lupin, almost anything works. I also make sure there's plenty of salt. Makes them yummy!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 12:53

Obviously we all have different priorities and values for what we eat. Bragg amino acids are less of a threat to me than sugar. Almond flour sets off cravings for me. I support your desire to eat skinny thins if that is what you like - I only point out the sugar because virtually all processed foods have *something* that must be considered.

I don't understand why you are so strongly against MY preference for flax crackers. To each his own. I don't want to spend my time making crackers either (and letting them go stale or eating more than I should so they won't go stale). Flackers fit my needs and skinny thins fit yours. Can we not agree that people have different values and tastes?

Last edited by Liz53 : Sat, Feb-08-14 at 14:24.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-14, 21:57

Stats: 169.2/137/149 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 159%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexy-lou
They taste great, and it's nice to have a vehicle for cheese and dips.

They are awesome...I use them, like you, for cheese and dips...Im full after a few!