Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 21:29

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%
Question How To Figure Optimum Weight??

I had trouble with figuring out this number. If anyone is proficient in this, I would appreciate an email contact or post here, so I can figure out what my goal is. I am 5' 4" and figured it out to be 210. Doesn't sound right. Way too high!

Help! haha
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 09:41

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

hi again!

according to most weight/height tables, a 5'4" woman can weigh anywhere between 117 to 155 or so. But according to statistics on health, you'd still be in the healthiest group of women weighing up to 195 pounds.

For men, I'd say to aim for the high end of the height-weight tables.

For women who are more than a few pounds overweight, I'd suggest a formula like this:

Take the number at the high end of the weight-height chart tables.

Add 5 pounds if you have childhood-onset obesity

Add 2.5 pounds for every baby you've had (men don't get to add this )

Add 5 pounds for every decade you are over 35 years old.

Add 10 pounds for a lifetime of yo-yo dieting (which will mess up metabolisms).

And that's a good realistic goal, I think. If you're blessed with the right combination of genes and the right metabolism, you'll be able to get thinner. But I hate seeing people stop losing at some reasonable weight, after losing 50-80 pounds, and feeling they've failed because they don't look like Jennifer Aniston.

Health benefits are seen when overweight people lose only 10% of their body weight and keep it off. Health detriments are seen every time weight is re-gained--it would be far healthier to stay heavier than to yo-yo diet.

Insurance weight tables are at http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/primry/life15.htm

HTH!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 09:45

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

oh right...and if you're a weight-lifter, ignore these tables altogether and go for a body fat % instead of a weight. The Eades give good ranges by age for these. (for me, a woman in her 40's, I believe my ideal range is 22-27%)

However, the Eades' measuring system is not a very accurate method of determining body fat. Once a person gets below 35% BF or so, calipers wielded by an expert is a better (and inexpensive) method of measuring. "Bod pod" or water immersion testing is more accurate but more expensive.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 10:45

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%
Default Thanks!

RAZZLE-

Okay, weight lifters?? I had to laugh at that one! haha We are not weight lifters here. Unless you count lifting my 30 lb toddler off of counters weight lifting! haha I try not to lift anything! haha

All that info was helpful and I came up with a total of about 153 to shoot for. Sounds more attainable, although I am not sure I am comfortable with that number yet. I will just go with it, and when I get to it, if it doesn't feel right, I will lose more. Sounds good though.

I was using that exercise in the protein power plan where you figure out when to move to phoase 2. You have to find your lean body mass, find ideal body weight and then find out what you weight should be before you move into phase 2. For some reason I came up with 210. Sounded awful high... if I'm going by 153, then about 168/169 should be where I move into Phase 2. Why do they have to make things complicated?? haha

Thanks again!