Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 06:31

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 240/237/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Cod Liver Oil

I knew there was NO WAY that I would willingly use any of the oils recommended. I did find cod liver oil in capsules. I haven't found anything about them in the books, so I'm hoping they're acceptable. I figure they're better than nothing at all...
The instructions say to take 3 per day. Well I tried that and about had to leave work yesterday afternoon because I couldn't stay out of the rest room.
Any suggestions on taking these without having this problem? I haven't taken any today so far; I figure I'll start with one per day but I don't know what time of day I should take it so that it does not affect me at work. Also, does your system adjust to taking them in time?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 03:30

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%
Talking rest room

when you say you couldnt keep out of the rest room ,do you mean you had the runs , if so did also have gas?

Sorry for being so personal but it may have been too strong for you .

I personally take flax oil liquid , neat , but fish oil is just as good . Flax oil has never caused me to have stomach upset .

Maybe try to take less and build up , or swap to flax oil liquid . Capsules not as good .

Rob
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 06:17

BF:

Definitely the "runs". No gas.
I have worked myself up to 2 capsules a day. One in the morning and one in the evening. I've never tried flax seed oil, but from some posts I've read, I don't think I could stomach it.
I am sure that the capsules are not as good as the liquid, but they've got to be better than nonthing at all... Fish oil is DEFINITELY out of the question. I would never bite one every few days to see if it's rancid. YUCK!!! I figure I'll just take what I can stomach and hope for the best.
Thanks for your advice.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 08:45

Talking Flax oil

Hey ,

flax oil is really not as bad as you think , it is mildly aromatic and I treat it as a medicine , so I DO stomach it .

Really it just takes a bit of getting used to , its just Sooooo
good for one anyhow

Rob
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 11:34

BF:

I would be willing to try it, I guess. I have some questions, tho.
Does it do the same thing to your digestive system as cod liver oil? Where do you buy it? Is it very expensive? Is it really thick like cod liver oil? What does it taste like?
Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I actually never even heard of it until PP. I just know some of the posts I read say it's pretty gross.
Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:01

Talking flax oil

hey,

Its not gross . It does take some getting used to drinking oil from a spoon though but it is so good for one that I say tough shit about the taste . You could even use it in salad dressing in place of regular olive oil , or put it into shakes.

It tastes very mild , a definite plant taste but it is hard to say exactly , sorry I cant be more precise . I wish I could say it tastes like chocolate but sadly it dont

it does not give you the runs at all
it is less expensive than fish oil
it is better in free liquid cos the capsules are processed
it must be stored in the fridge in its dark, airtight bottle
it must not be rancid . Rancid flax oil tastes vile , believe me I have tasted it !
One bottle of 200ml should last you 1 month
You can get it at the supermarket or at most health stores

Your body will thank you for it

Rob
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:10

BF:

The rancid thing is what I'm worried about. If I took one taste of that, I'd never be able to take it again. I remember when I was young and was in the hospital, I was forced to drink cod liver oil mixed with orange juice for some tests the next day. I'm surprised I can even take the capsules now. I can STILL taste that nasty concoction!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:19

Talking flax oil

Rancid flax oil is old and stale and not worth having cos of its toxicity .

Any oil that is older than 1 month should be dumped ,in that way you wont ever have rancid flax oil

go on , take the plunge

Rob
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 14:06

BF:

Ok, Rob,
I will pick some up when I find it. If it's totally disgusting, I'm going to let you know about it!
How much do you take and how often? What makes it so good for you anyway?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 08:52

Talking flax oil

I take 2 tsp neat but you can mix it with a shake or use it as part of a dressing .

You can start with 1 tsp daily and work up to 3 tsp if you want .

I cant say exactly what it does for me but I know intriniscally what it is supposed to do and heres a great website explaining it

http://www.spectrumnaturals.com/flaxoil/bene1.html

Rob
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 08:54

BF:

I just placed an order over the internet for it. I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks for the website. I'm going to look at it now.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 12:01

BF:

Hi Rob,
I finally received the flaxseed oil a couple of days ago. It's pretty gross. I am forcing myself to take it even tho it makes me gag. I figure I'll either develop a taste for it or never be able to take it again. At least I'm trying...
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 12:58

Talking gross

Hi Nikkiend,

sorry you find it so gross I must say that I used to drink it in a glass of SF fruit juice , or you can use it to make a salad dressing or add it to a shake .

i must admit it is a bit odd drinking oil , I suppose I must be used to it now coz I dont find it so bad , very slightly fishy LOL

Rob
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 13:22

BF:

Just like I feel about Cod Liver Oil, if I have to take it, I'll take it straight. Mixing it with other things makes me feel even queasier!
Do you notice a difference in your health or how you feel since you've been taking it?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 13:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

hi, we had a discussion on oils recently, in the General Lowcarb section, about flaxseed oil versus fish oil and the general consensus seemed to be that fish oil is better for you (obviously if you are only going to take flaxseed oil that's better than nothing). There was some good info there from Natrushka, DebPenny and Voyager. I'd give you the link, but I don't know how to do it. I take 2 1000 mg Omega-3 fish oil capsules, which has enough EPA in it according to the Protein Power book. If they've got enough in I can't see why the liquid would be any better.
They occasionally give me fishy burps, but nothing worse.
Take care, Jay
Apart