Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 19:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/120/100
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Induction - Day One Tomorrow

I'm nervous about starting tomorrow. I'm quitting sugar and carbs cold. Should I experience some detox symptoms? Some people say they lose their appetite and feel great? What if I experience some detox symptoms, what can I do? Since I can't go back to eating carbs anymore...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 20:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well... it depends on how much of a sugar junkie you are now. Do you eat a lot of sugar, pasta, white bread... that kind of stuff? If so, then yes, you might have a bit of a headache and you'll probably notice a lack of appetite. You might feel tired. If you'd say you *don't* eat that much junk food, you might be perfectly fine.

All you can really do is make sure you're taking your suppliments, drink plenty of water, and if you think you're addicted to caffeine, wean yourself off it slowly. I think people who try to quit caffeine cold turkey have the worst withdrawls. Be sure to eat your veggies for fiber, and avoid products like protein bars which have sweeteners that can upset your stomach.

Try not to anticpate the worst - feeling bad could be a 'placebo effect' if you worry too much. Relax and enjoy the good food.

Keep us posted - it might not be that bad. And it gets better!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 22:10
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Kristine... I will definitely keep my progress posted. My menu for tomorrow will be:

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs (in olive oil) with cheese string
Snack - cheese string?
Lunch - spinach with melted cheese
Dinner - salmon with something (but i don't know yet)

I'm staying away from artificial sweeteners for now (at least during induction) even Splenda. I'll continue to drink herbal teas and coffee. I don't think I'm ready to quit my java habit just yet. Wish me luck guys
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 03:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally posted by pv3882
cheese string, cheese string? spinach with melted cheese, salmon with something (but i don't know yet)

Remember that you're limited to 4 ounces of cheese/day on Induction, particularly. Those string cheeses are usually about an ounce each, so that's 2 ozs. Spinach with melted cheese is likely to have another ounce, maybe more. Try to choose something else besides cheese to have with your salmon in the evening.

LOTS of luck to you! Maybe if I send you an overdose, you can send me back your spare luck bits now and then.

#5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 07:28
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

How about a salad with that salmon? I usually have my "higher" carb meal early in the day and then have something with salad at night. Now I feel deprived if I don't get my salad.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 09:14
Registered Member

BF:

Okay how about salmon with onions fried in olive oil? I crave onions for some reason. do you know what's a good amount to have?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 09:49
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Be careful-onions are kind of high in carbs. One cup of mature onion has

Carbohydrate 13.81g
Dietary Fiber 2.88g

One ounce raw has right around 2-so I would keep it to one ounce.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 09:58
Registered Member

BF:

how interesting! i didn't know innocent onions are such anti-lc foods. well do you have any suggestion? I want a vegetable that is high in flavor. i'm thinking garlic. any suggestion is highly appreicated
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Both onions and garlic are VERY good for you. Don't be afraid to use them. I honestly think I was doing better at losing when I was using onions regularly. Now, I'm eating them less often and losing less. Also, don't forget about tomatoes - 10 servings per week (heated, if possible). A serving isn't very large, but that's one of the items Dr. Atkins specifically recommends. (Dr. Atkins' Age-Defying Diet Revolution, which is low-carbing for long life)
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 06:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/67/55
BF:25%
Progress:

HI their ,

If starting on induction , are going to take vitamins ? also you can take chromium which heaps with sugar levels and cravings

Also flaxseed oil is also good to take as it is one way of getting good fats .

Lady bird