Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 20:22
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
For those of you with Trader Joe's around, I recommend the "Sun dried tomato pesto torta", it's in the Deli section. It's a dip like thing with sundried tomatos, pesto and cream cheese. Strangely enough I like to kind of crumbled it into my salads.

We have exactly one TJ's in the state -- and we only got them 3 months ago. I practically live there now. I hope they have the torta here -- it's a very small store -- but if not they can probably order it for me. It sounds delicious.

The beef cheeks (yes, from the part near the tongue, not the, um, bottom ) were beyond wonderful.

Last night I marinated them in good red wine, with a diced onion and roughly chopped carrot and celery.

Today I patted off the meat and browned it in oil. Removed it to a platter and sauteed an onion, a few diced carrots, two celery stalks and three large garlic cloves. When they were soft, I added back the drained marinade and a can of diced tomatoes (unsalted) including juice. I put back the meat and about six sliced Yukon Gold fingerlings, plus spices liked smoked paprika and smoked salt. Put the whole shebang into the microwave/convection oven on 10% micro/275 degrees for 2.5 hours.

OMG. The meat and potatoes had absorbed almost all the liquid, which was thick and creamy. I ate my share (4 oz meat plus 3 oz potatoes, plus veg and sauce - topped with sour cream) with a spoon, that's how meltingly tender the meat was. And the potatoes! This dish was truly nirvana. I can see how the beef cheeks have earned their cult status in some of the world's finest restaurants.

Finished the day with cocoa coconut ice-cream, topped with whipped cream and more toasted coconut ribbons. My tummy is exceedingly happy.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 20:46

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

anyone with a low carb high fat homemade ice cream recipe Easy to make please.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 21:43

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

Okay. I sort of did better today. 87 p 196 f 49 c

Its very strange to have such low protein-half a pork loin chop? However, the dog thinks its a GREAT diet--that's twice now he's gotten half my dinner.
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 22:15
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge
Its very strange to have such low protein-half a pork loin chop? However, the dog thinks its a GREAT diet--that's twice now he's gotten half my dinner.

What -- no leftovers?
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 23:20

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
What -- no leftovers?

No, the dog doesn't want me to get bored with my choices so early in the game. Besides, he just spent a week in one of those heinous Elizabethan dog collar thingies, so I'm spoiling him a little more than usual.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 06:32

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
What -- no leftovers?

Leftovers! Yeah, I love leftovers. I'll be eating the moussaka I made on Sunday for at least 3-4 dinners in a row most likely, and only that few because my sister is currently staying with me and eating some also.

I mean I love my *dogs* dearly! But "people food" is for me.

Besides, if I give them leftovers (beyond a bite or two) they get diarrhea. who needs that to deal with?

But truly, I do love making a big batch of something and having it last a long time. I do like variety, but I'm happy eating the same thing 4-5 days in a row, and then having my variety.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 07:04

BF:
Default Dr. Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet - Planning

Hi other Dr. K fans. Gee, we have to come up with some snappy "name" to use to refer to this eating plan. "Dr. Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet" is just SO unwieldy, if you know what I mean.

But I have a few days now to think about this event I need to plan for. I have a friend who just had shoulder surgery. Another friend took her for the surgery, and I took her to the doctor for her follow-up visits before she could drive, so she wants to take us both out to dinner to thank us.

This will be this coming Monday or Tuesday evening, so I have some time to think ahead. This will be my first time eating out on the Dr. K plan, and I don't want to overdo. I *know* that most restaurant protein servings are *way* over my limits, and I do understand about doggie bags and things.

But still, I'd like to enjoy as much of my meal as I can, so when we decide on a day I will try to eat minimal protein for the meals prior to dinner so that I can save most of my allotment for the celebratory meal.

So I'm just looking for suggestions. Does anyone have an fun and filling recipes or suggestions that are lower in protein? Or does anyone have any ideas about good choices when eating out that don't OD on the protein. (please don't tell me 'salad', )
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was thinking that my favorite Thai restaurant, Panang duck, would be good. Coconut milk in curry is high in fat. Duck meat, high fat. I'd try to eye-ball the right amount of rice. If there was too much meat, I'd put some aside for another meal.
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:21

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you go to a steak house kind of place you could get a petit steak with veggies and baked potato and ask for extra butter and sour cream. Then eat half the steak and half the potato and drown everything in the butter and sour cream. Mmm.

Or with Nancy's mention of Thai - I didn't feel like cooking last night so we ordered some Thai food for delivery and I got crispy pork belly and spring rolls that were basically salad wrapped in rice paper. Down another pound this morning so it must have worked!

I hear you on the no salad. Restaurant salads are mostly boring and they all come drenched in God knows what kind of oil.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:23
Experimenter

BF:

Hmm... must be California but we have good restaurant salads out here. The only places where I've had horrible salads are Italian restaurants.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:25

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Salads are fine, it's just that there are like 3-4 standard ones and they get boring. Caesar, house salad, something with dried cranberries and walnuts and bleu cheese, and sometimes if you get lucky a chop/Cobb salad or a Mexican salad.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 08:36

BF:

Quote:
I was thinking that my favorite Thai restaurant, Panang duck, would be good. Coconut milk in curry is high in fat. Duck meat, high fat. I'd try to eye-ball the right amount of rice. If there was too much meat, I'd put some aside for another meal.

Gee, how did my question wind up in the thread when I'd started it as a thread of its own, as I was really hoping we could have a thread about ways to PLAN for things on this way of eating.

I do love Thai, and I *never* eat the rice there. I only like brown rice which you can (almost) never find served in restaurants. But I know that will be "out" as the other friend eating with us is a picky eater who loves bland stuff, and Thai is not on her radar map.

I agree a *good* salad can be good. The Cobb Salad at the Beaufort Grocery Company in Beaufort, NC is one I dream about all year. And it's *perfect* for regular low carb, though far too much chicken on it for an ODer.

But as Kallyn said, there just seem to be a few standard types of salads, and who wants to only have them all the time?
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 09:12
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Salads are fine, it's just that there are like 3-4 standard ones and they get boring. Caesar, house salad, something with dried cranberries and walnuts and bleu cheese, and sometimes if you get lucky a chop/Cobb salad or a Mexican salad.

Depends on the restaurant. We might have something with spiced pecans, goat cheese, etc. Chinese chicken salad. I eat a salad almost every day and I never get bored of it. Salads at Thai places are usually really good too. Larb, ground meat with nuts and lots of spices, lime juice. Probably not high enough fat though. Green Papaya salad is really good, again pretty low fat, but not too many carbs.

If I were eating out I'd probably save my protein up and figure I might go over for a day. Not the end of the world!
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 11:02

BF:

Quote:
If I were eating out I'd probably save my protein up and figure I might go over for a day. Not the end of the world!

Yeah, I will definitely be saving up as much protein as I can for the main meal. That's why I'm hoping people might have some useful HIGH fat, medium carb and LOW protein eating tips to help come up with ideas on what to eat the rest of the day.

In my previous LC life I might have just IFed until dinner time as I had so little hunger it was easy to go an entire day without food. But not so on this plan. I'm not *starving* like I was the first week - but my appestat certainly does start tooting at me to be noticed every few hours.

Maybe I'll "treat" myself to a can of macadamia nuts to eat throughout the day. Unfortunately they are so good I just can't seem to spread them out all day. Once the can is opened they are soon gone!
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 12:07
Experimenter

BF:

I get unsalted nuts so I don't go crazy on them.