Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 09:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Zinc and copper duke it out

Full Article Here

The story is of a man with an incision that wouldn't heal. He had a low white and red cell count. The reason: He was taking a high dose of zinc, along with some copper he was getting in his multivitamin. The zinc and copper are absorb by the same receptors so the zinc was getting absorb, but the copper wasn't. So he became very copper deficient. Interesting story.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-07, 06:11
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

people are warned not to take too much zinc. You have to get it in the correct range.

Quote:
The maximum safe level for long-term use is 15mg, for short-term use, 50mg can be taken safely. Supplementation at levels greater than 80 mg/day may suppress immunity and cause other side effects

http://www.worldhealth.net/p/aadr-zinc.html

regarding copper

Quote:
2-3mg taken with zinc at a 10:1 or 15:1 ratio (zinc: copper). RDA is 2mg.

http://www.worldhealth.net/p/aadr-copper.html

Also if this guy was taking bad forms of the vitamins - that can have bad side effects.

That is why I prefer for people to take high quality "mega" multi-vitamins. All of these ratios and interactions (things you must look out for) should already be factored in.

My multi has 1 mg Copper (as amino acid chelate) and 30 mg Zinc (as L-OptiZinc®)

I also agree with the idea that you need to start and stop different supplements to see what they do for you. It usually takes a couple of weeks to flush things out - so make a change and wait two weeks - then make another change - wait two weeks.

My multi-vitamin, fish oil, and magnesium are about the only things I take everyday and do not change. I guess I take potassium regularly also. Most anitoxidants and other supplements I drop, change them around, etc.

I tend to think that body gets on cruise control and gets use to you giving it things. Switching them up seems to help your body.

Last edited by kebaldwin : Fri, Oct-19-07 at 06:19.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-07, 08:38

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Victor Conte from Balco(yeah the Barry Bonds dude) has been saying this for years.

His recommendations for mineral supplementation to avoid this"competition" for receptor sites is as followed.

Zinc with Magnesium
Copper with Chromium
Selenium with Iron

Calcium, by itself, but I'm not so convinced of this
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-07, 11:46

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Well from what I've read chromium directly competes with copper by sharing the same receptors - even more so than zinc.

Have a look at acu-cell.com under chromium and copper.

I have also read that vitamin C at doses higher than 500mg/day will reduce copper and zinc as well - which is I think why I end up getting pretty sick with colds if I megadose C and don't back it up with enough copper/zinc.

And yes - from my own experience I have become deficient in copper after taking zinc and a multi that didn't have much copper in it. Also on a low-carb diet copper consumption isn't very high unless you eat a lot of mushrooms, liver, nuts/seeds or seafood (not fish).

I had a leg cartilage injury that just would not heal until I started taking copper in a multimineral (as a chelate). I take a lot of magnesium anyway, but I also have to balance that with calcium or I get nervous/tremors/irregular heartbeat.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-07, 11:57
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I always take my copper and zinc apart and at different ends of the day.