Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 22:39
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

HI... busy days here... my pal told me about the podcasts and videos available from Keifer.. too scientific for her LOL...I will try to see if I can see them

Have a box of candy for carb nite I can wait.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 05:39

Plan: VLC
Stats: 331.8/182.0/175 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hello! I am Paulette and I will be joining this Carb Nite discussion thread. I just purchased the pdf version of the book and I am studying it now.

I am a regular participant of the A-Team on this site, too. I have been following Atkins '72 for 2 years and have lost about 120 lbs - mostly lost in the first year. But I have been battling a plateau for months and months now. I have about 35 lbs to lose to reach my goal, but I have been unable to break through! My inch loss has stopped completely!

I am willing to try the Carb Nite Solution, although I am a diabetic, and I am nervous about controlling the high BS spikes I will get after a CN. I will be discussing this with my doctor. Following an ultra low carb diet for 2 years has allowed me to control my diabetes without the need for insulin. It will be interesting to see how this will effect me. If it allows me to punch through my fat loss stall, it will be worth it. And I am willing to give it a full month before I judge it.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 06:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket56
Hi This has many benefits and addresses the depleted hormones that occur when on LC for a while. That is the usual cause for slowing and stalls of losses.. the carb load is for a specific time and amount of time. It will cause insuline spikes and that in turn releases fat burning hormones/leptin.etc;.. that lasts for 4 days. You return to normal eating on plan in the morning and each week this boost encourges the losses.
This is essentially what I did for decades to maintian a 190# loss. I ate on plan and then had a major meal off. It is not enough to break out of ketosis.

CRICKET - I read about the bottoming out on hormones in the book and this all makes complete sense. I am certain this is what has happened to me after remaining ULC for so long. I am optimistic that this plan is exactly what I need to get the engine going again! And the timing seems absolutely crucial! I have read about how carb re-feeds can help break a stall many times over these past few months, but I have never seen any intricate details of why this works from a scientific standpoint. After reading the book, I now understand that there is specific timing involved in order for this to work. It is very exciting to me! And I am eager to get it started as soon as I can.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 09:25
Registered Member

BF:

HEY PAULETE~~~ welcome. I HOPE and PRAY that you and your doc can figure out the spikes and deal with it. You have known me for oat least a year now and KNOW how much I am an ATKINS major fan. I am a natural skeptic with everything and never jump into something. BUT I DO think and read and research and LISTEN to friends that have experienced these issues.
for quite some time CHELLE has been telling me about this plan which I was not interested in at all. ATKINS was still working to a degree and it sounded strange.. I finally got tires of the not loss mode. I KNEW I HAD to change something and tweaked the life out of my ATKINS woe..sigh... PAULETTE.. I do not know of anyone that has stayed so true to anything. You deserve to have a success happen and fast! You may have more trouble breaking the habit of the insane tracking and calorie counting...
If you want info that is not in the pdf, let me know and i can look it up.. or maybe Lianne can put a link in as she did for another that pooped in...

So here is another day.. odd one.. was up LATE and although Atkins and old ways told me not to eat late, this plan says it is good to eat before bed.. carbs are metabolised etc better while lying down and during sleep... go figure! SO, I made a couple of scramble eggs and slept like a baby Kiefer said I would!
SO far, all that has happened has me so excitied about this plan. Is it for everyone? DOUBT IT. PAULETTIE>>> HERE IS THE QUESTION OF ALL TIME>> CAN YOU DO THE 8 HOURS OF INSANE CARB LOADING AND THEN CLIMB BACK ON THE WAGON??? I know that has been a fear of yours. I KNOW you can and have done that in small ways.. what I ALSO FEEL is that once you have littereally eaten yourself sick with all the goodies, you will WANT to return to ultra lc again! You have heard several of us on the TEAM go off and say I cannot wait to be back on plan! It is a mind set and the carbs fest pretty well indulges all the fantasies enough to make it great to get back to work and then you know it is only a week and back to special 6-8 hours again....
today is day #5 for me and the total is 7.2 pounds but better yet is the fat shredding. Day 10 for me the 18th and the next week carb nite would fall on the25th but I am driving south so that is just not possible. If i do the CN on the day before I worry about all the foods and sugars triggering an active GI response!!! Not good on the Interstate! So, I think I have to do this CN on Tues .. day 6 which would work according to KIEFER..better that than going too long and losing the hormone burning balance I am creatin.
NOW to decide to keep the regular protein isolate or return it for the whey..seems like the milk protein is the best.. but I eat little proteins so maybe it will do just fine for now. WIll get the whey later on i think or not bother.....BBL
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 10:05

BF:

CRICKET - it remains to be seen how I will handle that first carb nite. It will be weird, for sure, as I have not eaten carbs for 2 years now. But I am certain I will have no problem getting back on the wagon, because it is the only way I know! I am sure the carbs from the previous night will be sufficient. And because this is a new experiment for me, I will be absolutely eager to follow it to the letter.

Even now I am making a game plan for the nite. I am actually planning on doing this either Wednesday or Thursday night. And since I normally go to bed around 7pm, watch TV or whatever for about an hour, then fall asleep around 8 pm, I may need to start my Nite much earlier than 4!!!! I am thinking closer to 1pm, so I can have a good 6 hrs to do it. I will start out with something light (thinking of Cream of Wheat) then have a dinner like spaghetti & meatballs?, then before bed, having some popcorn, perhaps. I will plan this in more detail the day before so I will know exactly how many carbs I will be ingesting.

There is no where in the book that specifically states how many carbs are actually needed. I know I will need to ingest enough to fill those glycogen stores, though, and that will be well over 100g! I have read on other sites that the average body stores about that much in the liver alone. So if I can get at least that much spread out through a few meals, if not more, I should be fine. The cereal and spaghetti dinner should cover that alone, and the bedtime snack will cinch it. I can monitor the blood glucose through the night.

That's the plan so far. I am really looking forward to this. Being able to have some popcorn again will be a real treat for me!
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 11:13
Registered Member

BF:

Hi PAULETTIE Yes, I am right there with you with the pop corn. I too would like FARINA for a nice start.never gets me full. ABSOLUTELY will do pancakes and the protein is the canadian bacon. We are like minded with speghetti and meatballs... already got some italian styled frozen one.. HOW NICE not to look at those carbs and enjoy!!! altough they are low.. I can enjoy a small amount of good Italian sauce too!!have that box of coholates that Carl gave me last night to go through.. so that is the late night snack I think. I had wanted some assorted slices of dessert cakes from the grocery but that will have to wait.. I am always changing this half day.
Starting early is fine.. t oget in 8 hours you can begin with a BRUNCH!! WOW...this will let us spread out all this food nicely and not get overfull too soon.
I have already grandfathered us in along with Jodi who starts this on the 18th and Kathy on the NC stuff.. into the A-TEAM. we can be the same group motivating the plans. I have a feeling that once we are on this for awhile and we see results we will have more company. I do not change easily and would not recommend it for newbies since restraint and dedication to the woe is needed. Everyone on the TEAM is capable of this and have gone off and on often. BUT for now, I an happy about you. I think this is made to order with the break throughs.

STAY away from your triggers though.. I HAVE NO BREAD on my plan. When I get something I will buy enough for that day's plan and no more.I know my pitfalls.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 11:29
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

My DH doesn't eat LC or HF. He is Norwegian and "buys" the SAD. There's nothing I can do about it, but I cook with butter and he has HWC in his coffee. He gave up HFCS on his own, but loves his jams. I only prepare real food for us, nothing packaged. Because he has a couple of heart issues, I also bake all his bread, whole wheat with molasses.

That bread is around me all day every day and I love it, too, but don't even taste it any more. So I'm looking forward to a thick slice with butter and maybe even some of his Lingonberry Jam.

The sticking place, of course, is day 11.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 13:26

BF:

It's funny how bread never entered my thoughts.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 13:32
Registered Member

BF:

OH GLENDA... that is so hard to do, but you are right that it is only a matter fo days to have the desired foods again. I beleive that just like anything that not allowed and we CRAVE it, once we are allowed it will become not a big deal.Once a week will be fine.
I give y ou lots of credit for doing all that cooking! I got out of that years ago.I never fuss for myself...PAULETTE however is GREAT with amazing LC dishes... I drool over her creations and never make them
Does anyone want to do a chart to follow our progress? We are alll starting about the same time and newbies so it might be motivation?? Up to you here..
I still get the WALDEN FARMS chocolate dippping sauce..and use it with some strawberries.. nice and filling and satisfying with only handful of carbs..today I added some HC to it and it is like a chocolate mousse..odd but after years on LC odd is good:0
SOrry DH fell for SAD.. now that ISS sad! I know a woman I met from our team that did not last but a day that did SAD but did not admit it then... said she was the ATKINS plan.. after lots of mail she tells me about that plan. Nothing I would go near. TO me, this IS reasonable and liveable.
I am the same today as yesterday and fine with that!
BBL
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 13:42
Registered Member

BF:

PAULETTE.. this is easier for us to do and you really can pick any day to start unlike everyone else that has not done ULC..you sure have your 10 days of under 30 carbs in! LOL... Just fine the Carb nite you want to stay with.. if you and Ed tend to go out on a weekend for games or whatever, then I would go for that although no alcohols anyway... the day can be changed as well... I picked thursdays since Carl is usually off them. My raod trip south hasscrewed it up though. I will have the 2nd week carb night on a different day for when I return..going 10 days again.That means the day of the week will change I guess to week end..and in show season that will be great! BRING ON THE PIZZA
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 14:16

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 166/156/145 Female 66
BF:24
Progress: 48%

This thread has me interested. I listened to/watched a YouTube presentation of his and he recommended a light first carb nite like pasta for dinner plus another carb food later. That was to see how the body responds.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 14:47
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobinsky
This thread has me interested. I listened to/watched a YouTube presentation of his and he recommended a light first carb nite like pasta for dinner plus another carb food later. That was to see how the body responds.

Hi and welcome That would be smart if you are new to LC and then adding the carbs suddently.
I am now re reading from his book and it in part says
:" you must eat a sizable amount of carbs: speghetti,apricots,pie,potato-chips, bread, bananas,bagels, donuts, ice-cream,cookies,cheesecake and almost anything else you've been craving.You should eat carbs for the rest of the evening-this includes all the way until bedtime and maybe even a midnight snack."
To me, this is not light ..of course no one plows through all these foods in one night High carb is needed and spread over the hours to not overload but to trigger the correct release of the hormones... I have on ULC for years and have gone off plan and carb binged..and some foods just do not agree with me. I would highly recommenr that the meals be reasonable portions for desired foods spread over the 8 hours.
Your input is valuable as it brings to mind that we must learn how our bodies deal with new things and run in blindly.THANK YOU! Are you planning to come on this plan? We would love to hear from you!
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 21:26

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 166/156/145 Female 66
BF:24
Progress: 48%

I am considering it but I need to stay low carb for awhile and get the book! I will be cheering you all on!
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 06:12

BF:

I find it simple to use the F, P & N rules for meals. Since I am not supposed to count calories, I am focusing on keeping the F & P balance. This means I should be adding a protein at breakfast time now. I am so used to just drinking coffee/cream. I am never hungry this early in the morning, so I am wondering if a protein shake would be the best choice for me....I need to order a jug of the whey isolate as suggested, but they are so expensive! It will have to wait for a while. In the meantime, I am not going to worry. For some reason, eggs and meat do not sound very appetizing this early in the morning. (I am always up by 4am).
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 08:13

BF:

I found Isopure Zero Carb whey protein isolate powder in a 1 lb bag for only $15.99 at Puritan's Pride. And they have free shipping, too! So I will get my protein powder soon.

I also ordered Fish Oil, so I should have all my recommended supplements now. I am not happy about swallowing more big pills, but I aim to follow the rules for this new eating plan.
Closed Thread