Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 08:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303.5/283.5/170 Female 5'11'
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default eggless mayonnaise?

karen, i've been hunting around for mayo recipes, and have found some great ones here, but i need to know how to replace the eggs.

i've got an allergy to egg white and an intolerance to egg yolk. after 3 months with no egg yolks, i can try to replace them in moderation, but for 3 months i need to live without them.

could i use Ener-G egg replacer?

thanks so much!!

rachel.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 11:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Curly,

You would be able to - I think you would have to mix it with water first - but there are two other alternatives. One is tofu mayonnaise

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/salads/tofu-mayonnaise.html

And the other is almond mayonnaise in this thread

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...mond+mayonnaise

I think the almond mayonnaise is great...better tasting than the tofu mayonnaise. The recipe is a loose guideline. You may have to twiddle around with the recipe to get it to suit your taste.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 11:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
Hi Curly,

You would be able to - I think you would have to mix it with water first - but there are two other alternatives. One is tofu mayonnaise

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/salads/tofu-mayonnaise.html

And the other is almond mayonnaise in this thread

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...mond+mayonnaise

I think the almond mayonnaise is great...better tasting than the tofu mayonnaise. The recipe is a loose guideline. You may have to twiddle around with the recipe to get it to suit your taste.

the almond mayo sounds soo good, but i'm allergic to almonds! and i can't eat soy because of my thyroid condition (it makes me feel terrible!)

i found this one: http://www.recipesource.com/side-di...00/rec0035.html and was thinking of replacing the soy milk with rice milk or hazelnut milk. do you think that might work?

here are a few others i found that might work:
http://www.recipesource.com/side-di...ayonnaise1.html
http://www.recipenet.org/health/rec.../mayonnaise.htm (replace the soy/almond with rice/hazelnut milk. i'd skip the stevia, though. i don't need sweet in my mayo)

i just wanted to ask you because i figured you'd have the best recipe.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 11:41

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

If you can get your hands on a jar of Grey Poupon mustard, you can use that instead of the egg yolk when making mayonnaise.
Put a tablespoon in a bowl and add the oil slowly, whisking it in until it forms a smooth emulsion. Stir in some lemon juice or vinegar to sharpen.
Works good. We used to do this when we had a raw egg contamination scare years ago.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 12:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_crone
If you can get your hands on a jar of Grey Poupon mustard, you can use that instead of the egg yolk when making mayonnaise.
Put a tablespoon in a bowl and add the oil slowly, whisking it in until it forms a smooth emulsion. Stir in some lemon juice or vinegar to sharpen.
Works good. We used to do this when we had a raw egg contamination scare years ago.

ooo...i'll need to check the ingredients to see if i can eat the GP, but thanks for the suggestions. sounds yummy.

rachel.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 00:21
Forum Founder

BF:

OK then, what about cashews? You can make mayonnaise out of them too, same way as the almond. Or you can start with cashew butter. Nut butters for good emulsions, so macadamia, sesame, and sunflower would all work and be somewhat neutral in taste.

Try the Ener-G too, and report back.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 07:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
OK then, what about cashews? You can make mayonnaise out of them too, same way as the almond. Or you can start with cashew butter. Nut butters for good emulsions, so macadamia, sesame, and sunflower would all work and be somewhat neutral in taste.

Try the Ener-G too, and report back.

i love cashews and have been eating a LOT of cashew butter lately (since i'm also reacting to peanuts, and peanuts are goitrogenic!). i like the idea of trying the cashew butter as a base. any idea on proportions?

i plan to try the ener-g this weekend, and i'll definately report back.

thanks for your help!

rachel.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-05, 11:25
Forum Founder

BF:

I would start with 1/2 cup of raw cashews, and 1 - 1 1/2 cups of oil. Dijon, lemon and salt to taste. Grind them to a paste with a little water, then slowly add the oil.

Karen