Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 11:27

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Lightbulb Summer treat!

Because Sandylee was making cheesecakes sound sooooooo good, I decided to make some last night. I used the recipe in Suzanne's dessert book, but I didn't have a spring form pan, so used a round cake pan instead. (I was afraid my pie pan might be too shallow) Well there was a tad too much batter, so I scooped some into popsicle forms and froze them. Russ and I each had a 'cheesicle' for breakfast this morning and they were to DIE for!

Suzanne has a raspberry coulais (just a sweetened fruit puree) in both books where she lists cheesecake, so it occured to me that I could make a swirled popsicle with the cheesecake batter and the pureed raspberries. That's on my list for next time.

I'll bet this would be pretty darned good with the chocolate cheesecake recipe she has. Ooooooo how I love chocolate and raspberry. That would be almost level one or even level two depending on the chocolate you used though.

Now I wonder, how about a key lime popsicle? Anyone have a recipe for legal key lime pie?

This gives me all kinds of ideas. Like how about mixing plain yogurt with the SF flavoring of your choice and making a frozen yogurt pop? I'll bet at least some of these ideas are in the recipes here somewhere, but I'm just all charged up...

Happy summer everyone!

MB
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 11:47
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%

Those sound great! Especially the cheesecake mixed with raspberry! OMG! I haven't ventured out to the desserts yet...I stick to sugar free popcicles...I'm going to try the zip lock ice cream from suzanne's site....Everyone talks about how good it is.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/257/160 Female 5'9''
BF:
Progress: 25%

May I have the address to Suzzane's site? Sounds like it's the place to go!

Thank you
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179.5/170.4/155 Female 5'3
BF:don't know
Progress: 37%
Default I second that

I would like to have the address also, do you guys have it, I would appreciate it. Thanks. Lacey
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 18:52

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

I've GOT to make those popsicles!!!!!
Here is Suzanne's site. You just click on the "discussions" button on the left to get to the forums. http://www.suzannesomers.com/Community/

Mamabeek, can you give us the recipe for the New York Cheesecake? I can't find it on the website.

Thanks sweetie!!!!
Sandy

Last edited by Sandylee : Sun, Jul-13-03 at 18:55.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:18
Registered Member

Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

KEY LIME PIE

1 tbsp plain gelatin
sweetener to equal 1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup Key lime juice or lime juice
1/4 cup water
1 tsp grated key lime
1 cup heavy cream, whipped

Mix gelatin, half of the sweetener and salt in a saucepan. In a bowl, beat egg yolks well. Add lime juice and water to egg yolks. Stir egg yolk mixture into gelatin mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, just until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in peel. Chill, stirring occasionally until mixture mounds when dropped from a spoon.
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add rest of sweetener, beating until stiff. Fold into gelatin mixture. Fold in whipped cream, reserving some for the top. Pour into a pie plate and chill.

The New York Cheesecake is a recipe on the Somersweet can.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 22:37

BF:
Smile Thank you Diamondlil!

Where does one find key limes or key limejuice? Is there much difference between those and regular limes? I've had many pies but never made one myself.

The NY cheesecake recipe I used is in Suzanne's dessert recipe book and there is another version of it in her first book Eat Great, Lose Weight. The raspberry sauce is in both places too. I'll post it in the meals thread though, so it's easy to find.

We finished the cheesecake today (not so shocking as it sounds, remember I took it to a luncheon, so I had less than half to bring home) I will definitely be making another tomorrow and spooning six popsicle forms full with the raspberry sauce swirl idea encorporated. I was down another pound this morning after eating both a piece of cake and the popsicle yesterday, so I'm pretty darned pleased! It's just cream cheese, sour cream and eggs really, which is pretty much a variation on some of the staples of this WOE after all.

Although it's a great resource, few SS recipes are posted on her official site because she wants people to buy the book. I think posting her recipes is discouraged there. But since it's not a copyright infringement unless you sell the recipes, there's nothing to stop us doing it here!

MB
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 02:27

BF:

Hi MB,

They sell key limes at the Mexican produce stores here in Chicago but they don't often call them that. They are those tiny limes that are often 10 or 15 for a dollar. When I lived in South Texas they grew on the trees there and were slightly sweet.

I love that we are posting SS recipes here.
I was thinking... I wonder if you left the eggs out for the frozen pops. Thinking raw eggs might not be that great

Sandy
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 01:04

BF:

Yes you might want to do that. I have never h ad problems with raw eggs in milkshakes and ice cream etc, so I don't worry about it. Heck, a little Salmonella would speed up the weight loss anyway...er...that's not a good way to think though is it?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 18:54

BF:

LOLOL.
Well grabbing the towel bar while weighing yourself works too
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 21:37

Stats: 230/135/126 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Lightbulb Pasturized Eggs

I use pasturized eggs in ice cream and then I don't worry about it. I have also heard that you can wash eggs in antibacterial soap and water and that is supposed to lower the chance of getting salmonella.

That's great news about posting the SS recipes. I was worried about Suzanne coming after me and taking all her cookbooks away.

Abequa
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 18:43
Registered Member

Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%

I bought Key Lime Juice at WalMart...It's an authentic kind...The only kind they had...It's good!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 21:07

BF:
Question And????

So whatd'ja do with it, huh? Enquiring minds want to know...