Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:25

Plan: Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load
Stats: 233/236/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: -5%
Angry I Bragged Too Soon

Well, they say the bigger they are, the harder they fall, and I fell HARD!! Those of you who read my previous post ("I'm Soooooo Proud of Myself") know about my gloriously successful weekend where I avoided all the tempting funky foods and remained steadfast on my Somersizing program, even in the face of massive temptation.

Welllllllll, I fell off the wagon big-time on Monday night. It all started with what were originally intended to be "just a few" jellybeans, and I am still trying to stop!

Our computers at work have been on the fritz, they were down for several days. The engineers finally got the server restored on Monday, but my work was way behind by that time. A lot of stress! So, Monday night I was trying to catch up on my work load, when lo and behold! the darned server went down again! Just about that time, I caught sight of a jar of jelly beans that one of my co-workers had on her desk. Thinking that "just a few won't hurt me," I picked out 4 of the purple ones (my favorites). Well, you know what happened next.

So now here it is Thursday, and I am still at it. I seem to have this mentality that at long as I am off the program, I may as well go ahead and have that _________ (fill in the blank - whatever I have been hankering for), that way I can get it off of my mind and over with. Very faulty logic, I know. The problem is, I know this "intellectually," but "emotionally" is a different story.

I can't believe I have regressed this far! Just a few days ago, I was so happy, feeling so victorious. Now I feel so discouraged and hopeless. I wonder if I will ever really be able to lose the weight. I keep losing 5-8 lbs. and then regaining it, losing and regaining, over and over.

How do I get off of this downward spiral? Equally as important, how do I KEEP off of this cycle of despair?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 17:39

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Unhappy Oh man, I'm sorry Jami!

You'll make it, just hang in there!

The very best way to lose fast and consistantly is to go 100% level one and no cheats of any kind. If you can do that, DO IT!!! I can't do it all the time and without sweets I'd never make it at all.

Start with just the snacks, not the sweets. Are you snacking between meals as Suzanne suggests? That should help you feel full so you don't want to cheat so much and so you never feel deprived. If you have to have sweets then make them level one or almost level one and keep them to your breaks.

Some people can't keep any kind of sweets around or they pig too much, but if I don't have some legal(ish) ones I know I'd never stay on the plan. So I include plenty of sweets and legal snacks in my diet every day, and I keep some with me when I'm away from home for any length of time. (I work from home) The hardest thing is when you're sitting around working or watching TV etc. So no matter where I am I try to take "active" breaks where I go outside and go for a walk, or do something in the yard if I'm home. Anything to disrupt that "sit and munch" pattern. And I try to designate snack times equally spaced between meals, as Suzanne suggests, rather than grazing all the time. There WILL be graze days though, no matter how you try. Just graze as sensibly as you can and get back on track again the next day.

There are lost of good, legal munchies to have. Do you like Pork rinds? If so they're great by themselves and also you can make cinnamon coated pork rind snacks etc. I like things like salami or pepperoni, better still rolled up around a bit of cheese or a piece of pickle. An apple is a great snack and quite filling. Baked "cheese crackers," which are just a slice of any kind of cheese nuked for a couple of minutes until it's lacy and crunchy, are a yummy nibble too. Or having a little cup of legal dressing and losts of finger veggies to dip in it is good. If you are out of control at work and going to cheat, see if you can find nuts instead of candy. They are "bad combo" foods, but much better for you than sugar and are quite low carb. They're not nearly so likely to make you crave, either.

For sweets make a few of the legal ones in the SS books and rotate them. Take a little dish of one of them with you to work for your breaks so you don't feel cheated when others are eating candy and other funky snacks. SF Jell-O squares are good, or even mix them with cream cheese and cream (I found a yummy recipe for that) for a three layered pro/fats version that's a little more filling. I like the new Russell Stover chocolate creams which you can order of the RS site, because they are really small and it's easy to put one or two in your purse or in your lunch and curb a sugar binge. They're almost level one though, because of the chocolate, and I had some trouble with them at home because I kept going back for one more and one more, despite the bad Maltitol effects... and last of all, I often find that having a caffeine free, diet soda will satisfy my snacking urges and help me make through to the next real meal. Much better to have one more SF soda than you intended than a bag of candy!

The trick for me is not to have "just one" truly funky thing. It starts the cravings for me and takes days to get them back under control. At least when I overdo on legal or almost legal treats the results are not nearly so disasterous. I stall or go up a pound or two, but I don't find myself packing on the pounds alarmingly and I can get back on track much faster than if I cheat with truly bad stuff.

Hopefully other people will have different angles on the same problem so you can find a plan that works well for you. But DO stick with this, it's such a great way to eat and you really do have so many more options than on most other WOEs. Remember it's not about this week or this month, it's for the long haul, right?

You can DO this! You can! You can! You can! You can!

Last edited by Mamabeek : Fri, May-09-03 at 17:46.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:29

BF:
Default Hey Jami, how are you doing?

You posted so often and then vanished that I wondered if you were ok?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 13:38

Plan: Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load
Stats: 233/236/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: -5%
Default Thanks For Your Concern

I really appreciate your concern. The truth is, I have NOT been low-carbing for some time now, and believe me, it really shows!

I've been on a couple of long motorcycle trips (total of 5 weeks), eating out all the time, living the life of Riley. Now it's all catching up to me. I am ABOVE my former starting point!!

Over the last couple of days, I've really been trying to psyche myself up to get started again. I know I need to, and I know that once I get back on the bandwagon, it will get easier (I hope).

Part of my confusion is the conflicting info I have received from my research. Several of the books I've recently read (authored by MDs) say that it is important to eat protein and fat with your carbs. They call it "balancing". This is contrary to the Somersize plan, which strictly forbids mixing carbs with either proteins or fats. Yet, I know (based on the testimonials and pictures I've seen in Suzanne's books - which I am taking at face value, I am assuming they are not faked or manufactured) that her plan really does work.

Anyway, I've sent off for a new book called "The Glucose Revolution Life Plan" which supposedly explains all about the Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load, and maybe that will spur me to get started back down the trail one more time..... So, please pray for me, I need all the help I can get!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 13:49

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is
Progress: 36%

You hang in there! Pick yourself up, dust yer franny off and get started again. I'm restarting today and I agree with above-don't even *look* at the funky foods! lol. One bite and I'm a gonner (appearently). You might try the SS board/chat. There is usually someone there who can "talk you down" and keep you going, even late at night. I'm going to have to start showing up over there again I suppose. Going for just -1-day of no cheats and I'll deal with tomorrow-tomorrow! Go Jami go! I want to hear more about the motorcycle trip too!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:20

Plan: "Summersizing"
Stats: 320/252/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I just had to stop and give you a great big hug. It's so easy to fall and so darned hard to get back up. What I do is go on Atkins induction for two weeks or even just a week. You'll show a nice loss, and you'll be inspired to move on from there.

Best of luck to you! You CAN do this! And just remember: Life happens. We're always going to be tempted from time to time. Just don't throw it all away out of despair and frustration.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:06

BF:
Thumbs up Somuch good advice here...

what can I add? Glad to see you back and right behind you climbing back on the wagon! I've been on vacation in Hawaii the last 9 days and broke all the rules right and left. Some meals were good but others were HORRIBLE! Oh how I love froofy, sweet tropical drinks with little umbrellas and pineaple slices on them! Sigh...

Yes, her plan works. It is working for me and for my husband. Because her plan is so well rounded and you get your fats, carbs veggies and fruits all in one day I am not going to fret about whether they all happen to be in one meal. I lost 20 pounds and felt great eating this way. I have also learned that I DO lose if I stick to Suzanne's combining plan and I DO NOT lose if I mix, even if it's all legal and fairly low carb. Can't say the same will be true for you, but it sure works for alot of happy people out there!

MB