Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 17:07

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Just for the record, I did WW back in the 70s when it was quite new. Somewhere around here I probably have Jean Nidetch's original book. Back then, the menu (as I recall) consisted mostly of cottage cheese, canned tuna, and raw vegetables. I'm sure that's why I avoid tuna to this day.

I liked our WW leader, but those weigh-ins were awful. I achieved my goal weight and my Lifetime pin. Guess they'll let me in for free if I come in at my goal weight now. I'd actually like to try that!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 20:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I achieved my goal weight and my Lifetime pin. Guess they'll let me in for free if I come in at my goal weight now. I'd actually like to try that!

How delightfully fiendish!
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-16, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolism Miracle
Stats: 264/231/199 Female 72
BF:Lots/Lots/Some
Progress: 51%
Default I wish her luck too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
JEY thanks for sharing the link to the commercial! I hadn't seen it.

I loved the "If not now, when?" statement!

I wish Ms. O success on her WW journey! I just wish she'd do LC, cause she'd rock n' roll on this incredible WOE!

but, I think she's done WW or Oz or whatever forever and it hasn't worked. I remember back when I was doing Carbohydrate Addicts Diet and it was very popular then. Oprah had the Hellers on her show and I was so excited to see them on TV. Oprah pretty much mocked them and low carb. Made a big deal of not being able to have an apple. I think her current deal is all business.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-16, 09:12

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

I saw this one with her also, and she looks to have lost some and looks great, but this is a business deal for sure. I could see O 50 pounds down, it would change her life.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 21:50

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Oprah's commercial that's on right now says....
"When you realize that you have to give up nothing"

Last edited by Meme#1 : Tue, Jan-05-16 at 23:50.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 08:27

BF:

Quote:
"When you realize that you have to give up nothing"
I haven't seen any of Oprah's commercials, but what a bald-faced LIE this is!!

No matter what weight strategy you embrace, something has to give. Or you have to give up something. Yes, you can lose weight on the "all chocolate all the time" diet. And how long will that last?? For one thing, you always have to give up thinking that you have to give up nothing.

Oprah, please listen to yourself.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 08:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I had to check the Weight Watchers YouTube channel, all the ads are there. omg! Oprah, counting points is not counting calories, it is a game? You don't have to give up anything? Anyone who has tried WW before knows these are lies, and I don't think there is a huge, younger market to take the place of older women who won't fall for it. They are all using MFP, FB and Reddit...why pay WW??

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-07-16 at 03:53.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 09:50

BF:

Quote:
why pay WW??
That's my question, too, after decades of weight management work. However, I do know that paying someone to tell you something (professional diet person, personal trainer, online guru) works for some people as incentive. If it's costing them money, they're more inclined to actually do what they could do on their own.

Been there, done that!

My sister hires a personal trainer who comes to her house every week. She can afford it, and her trainer helps her a lot. I pop in an exercise video, and I'm on it! Every once in a while, I spring for $5.99 at Half-Price Books for a new trainer.

I suppose if I added up the amount of money I've spent on my Low Carb Library, I could pay WW dues for quite a while.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 09:30

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Oprah has had a lot of trouble losing and maintaining that loss. I guess she hopes that by being a partner in WW she can lose and maintain. I do wonder if, like me, she tried WW for 3 different times in her life and consistently failed to either lose or not maintain.

I wonder if she has ever tried low-carb. Does anyone know?
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 10:22

BF:

Benny, if you Google Oprah and low carb diet (I just did) you'll come up with a long list of reports and opinions on Oprah's diet history. I didn't have time to read right now, but I glanced at the top one, from Dr. Michael Eades. I like him, and this overview looked interesting.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 11:54

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Oprah has had a lot of trouble losing and maintaining that loss. I guess she hopes that by being a partner in WW she can lose and maintain. I do wonder if, like me, she tried WW for 3 different times in her life and consistently failed to either lose or not maintain.

I wonder if she has ever tried low-carb. Does anyone know?

Oprah has lost and maintained. She just hasn't kept all that she lost off. She's like me. A long time ago she lost a lot and only maintained some of that but she's clearly maintained a significant loss for a very long time for most of the time. She's never gotten back to her highest weight from way back when in the early days of her show, as far as I can tell. She used to be much bigger in the 240-250 range and she's been thinner than that for most of the time for a very long time, even if she's never been size 6 again.

I would say that is probably a success most people should be happy with. It's sad that she's not and that stress and sadness over it is probably doing more than her weight to impact her health.

You can compare here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/..._n_5200899.html.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 12:29

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I lived in Baltimore in the late 70s and loved her show, but think Oprah hit her highest weight after she was on Optifast and made it into her size 6 jeans and started gaining immediately after that Oprah show broadcast where she wheeled in a cartload of suet equivalent to the weight she had lost. That's why I don't think a diet that lets you eat anything you want in moderation will work for her (it certainly doesn't work for a longtime yo-yoer like me); we need to eliminate trigger foods from the house and only have them very rarely and in very limited amounts when away from home.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Jan-08-16 at 12:36.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 13:13

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Barbara, thanks. I did Google Oprah and low carb diet as you suggested and did read the 2008 blog of Mike Eades and scanned the others. Yes, she did try the Carb Addicts diet which did not work for her. Duh. I doubt it really works for anyone as the binging on carbs in the evening defeats the carb starvation during the day. In other words they cancel each other out. Anyone with sense should be able to figure that out. Sigh.

Poor Oprah. She has enough money to get good information but her advisers are giving her the same old drivel.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 13:28

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I lived in Baltimore in the late 70s and loved her show, but think Oprah hit her highest weight after she was on Optifast and made it into her size 6 jeans and started gaining immediately after that Oprah show broadcast where she wheeled in a cartload of suet equivalent to the weight she had lost. That's why I don't think a diet that lets you eat anything you want in moderation will work for her (it certainly doesn't work for a longtime yo-yoer like me); we need to eliminate trigger foods from the house and only have them very rarely and in very limited amounts when away from home.

Maybe, but I remember the old shows. She was way bigger and it wasn't just the boxy, unflattering suits! Even if it came after her size 6, she's still kept a loss from that for quite awhile. I saw her saying she hit the 200 mark a few years ago after dealing with the girls' school crisis and had to get back on the program. If her highest weight was 237, that would mean she'd been doing pretty well for quite a long time, maintaining at least a 40 pound loss. The internet appears to have been scrubbed of those early show images. And she looked very unhealthy, very out of shape. She's never looked like that again.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 13:39

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I recall in Rethinking Thin by NYT reporter, Gina Kolata, her saying one group of people who kept weight off were those who were "professionals" of a sort, leading WW groups, Herbalife groups, being spokespersons, etc.

Kirstie Alley has apparently lost 50 lbs again, and is a Jenny Craig spokesperson again. Didn't work for her the first time, but she says she had to quit and quit and quit drugs and then she did quit and this is the last time, she knows, she's "quitting" being fat.

I'm sure Oprah thought long and hard about her very public buying into WW and the risk of subsequent embarrassment and such if she failed in the long run. Maybe this will be her final incentive as well.

I have to admit I rather like -- in a perverse way -- that some of these prominent celebrities, with all their advantages, can't keep weight off long term any better than many of the rest of us peons.